Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
ShirleyD
0 Kudos

Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain: Introduce Yourself

Why not?  Worried you'll be mistaken for a turn worker???

Good One! :smileyhappy:  I think the race is still fresh in your mind!

In all seriousness it's funny you should say that as my fiance is a turn worker for some of the races at Laguna Seca, Infinion & Fontana Speedway...that's how we met. I used to take photos at the races.

S. 

"Fiction writing is great, you can make up almost anything."
- Ivana Trump, on her first novel
Frequent Contributor
brontyman
0 Kudos

I closed the book with tears in my eyes. A great book, a book with soul, a book for the ages...
The California night falls gently, the dying light retreats across the yard, the silence begins to swell, and I feel the darkness coming.
He is my dog, he is my friend, he is my family...I see him in his favorite corner of the yard, our spot. Lying on his side he senses my presence, his ears pick up, the tail wags, and he struggles to his feet. Rituals, they bring order to the world, but is such a struggle... It is a battle that he wins for now. I bend close to caress the aged head, the muzzle gone white. He wears  his 14 years with painful dignity.
Tired from the effort he lies down again, the rest of the greeting must be from his side, he looks apologetic. "No need my friend, no need", There are no apologies between us, there will be no regrets. 
Although the final journey is near, it is not today...or is it? There is always hope, and I hope. A thought of an endless field in the sun gives me peace, makes me smile...
He smiles, no fear no pain, no not now ,  it is a victory of the moment. We savor it together. We cherish that moment...no fear, no pain.
On my knees I whisper him the story of Enzo a noble dog, a champion, a hero.
Into his ear, into his being, I whisper  my prayer, that he too should return as a man. His eyes flutter in sleep, but he hears, he feels, and he smiles against the coming darkness. In silence I stay by the side of my friend. It is all I can do...
There comes a time when a simple truth is realized with a shining clarity,
"Gestures are all that we have..."
As the weight of the darkness falls  across my shoulders, I smile with my friend.
My companion dog  of 14 years,Ty was put to rest while in the arms of my wife and myself, the day that I finished The Art Of Racing In The Rain. It is one reason why I love the book so, and why my wife can not bring herself to read it.
Thanks to you all for letting me share that emotion of that very difficult day.
I wish you all the best,
Michael

"I don't need to fight to prove I'm right. I don't need to be forgiven..."
Baba O'Reilly-The Who
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

brontyman wrote:

My companion dog of 14 years,Ty was put to rest while in the arms of my wife and myself, the day that I finished The Art Of Racing In The Rain. It is one reason why I love the book so, and why my wife can not bring herself to read it.
I wish you all the best,
Michael

Oh Michael, what beautiful words for your dear friend! And what timing too, having the book come along just then. It broke my heart thinking of all of the animals I've lost and had to put to sleep I can't even imagine what it did to you. It does sound like it brought you some comfort though. It obviously touched you very deeply. Maybe someday your wife may enjoy it too but if not she knows you do. I absolutely understand how she couldn't read it now.

I hope writing this was cathartic for you. You really do have a way with words, as many people have told you here, and this is a special tribute. You paint a picture and I can see it all. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's good to know that you had a friend who meant so much to you. Faster Ty, faster!

~Debbie 

Frequent Contributor
Drella
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

brontyman wrote:

My companion dog of 14 years,Ty was put to rest while in the arms of my wife and myself, the day that I finished The Art Of Racing In The Rain. It is one reason why I love the book so, and why my wife can not bring herself to read it.
I wish you all the best,
Michael

Oh Michael, what beautiful words for your dear friend! And what timing too, having the book come along just then. It broke my heart thinking of all of the animals I've lost and had to put to sleep I can't even imagine what it did to you. It does sound like it brought you some comfort though. It obviously touched you very deeply. Maybe someday your wife may enjoy it too but if not she knows you do. I absolutely understand how she couldn't read it now.

I hope writing this was cathartic for you. You really do have a way with words, as many people have told you here, and this is a special tribute. You paint a picture and I can see it all. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's good to know that you had a friend who meant so much to you. Faster Ty, faster!

~Debbie 

Yes, absolutely beautiful, Michael!  Debbie is right about your way with words.  When I'm feeling sad or moved to tears, I find myself to be at my least eloquent.  It seems that with you, Michael, your emotions propel you to great heights of eloquence!  

I'm so sorry about what you recently went through with Ty.  I think that if you listen carefully, you will hear him whispering to you.... 

Frequent Contributor
bmbrennan
0 Kudos

Michael,

I am sorry to hear of your loss and this book must have been gut wrenching for you in places.  Your insights have been tremendous and I for one enjoyed reading your posts.  I hope we meet again on the boards so to speak, it was nice meeting you. 

Take care for now and as for Ty two barks.

Bridgid

bmbrennan
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. Churchill
Author
Garth_Stein
0 Kudos

Turnabout is fair play, Michael.  Your post brought me to tears.  

When I was a kid, we had an Airedale named Tyrone.  We call him Big Ty.  He became too much of a handful--and he was our second dog--so my folks sent him up to live with my uncle in Alaska.  Shortly after he moved away, he was hit by a car and killed.  

Perhaps my Ty returned as your Ty and brought us together for this book.

Thanks again for everything.  The questions, the ideas, the thoughtfulness, the pure and true emotions. Michael, you've kind of become the mascot for the group, so I thank you directly, but I also thank everyone who's shared with us, as well those who've been reading silently.  

A book is a very personal thing.  We write alone.  We read alone.  And yet so much can happen! People come together!  The world can be changed!

I feel very privileged to have been given the opportunity to share Enzo with you all.  So most of all, I have to thank Enzo for choosing me to be his voice.

Yours very truly,

Garth 

Learn more about The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Discover all Garth Stein titles.

Frequent Contributor
brontyman
0 Kudos

Garth,

Thank you for your kind words, I am honored beyond belief...Thank you for your story of your Ty, I would like to think Enzo's "King Karma" is at work!

Would you pass on to Drella, that two days after my dog went to his rest, I had a dream where I saw him with a friend I served with, who died in the Vietnam war. My wartime friend was kneeling with Ty, and Ty looked young and happy. My wartime buddy told me he would take good care for him until I came. I woke up from a dead sleep and my grief had been lifted from me. I believe as Drella suggests Ty whispered in my ear that night. I know that there is a place that we meet again...

Till we meet again Garth,

All the best to you and yours,

Michael

"I don't need to fight to prove I'm right. I don't need to be forgiven..."
Baba O'Reilly-The Who
Reader
mmaroni
0 Kudos

am Meg  I am responding for the first time..  I am not good at this.  I love the book.  He says some powerful things if you look at it closely. What I can't look at closely anymore is my Golden - I wonder what he is thinnking.

Great book.