Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Garth_Stein
0 Kudos

Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain: Questions for Garth Stein

twizzle wrote:
I'm wondering if I can ask a ques about your writing process? Just curious, but I always find it fascinating-the how.  I was lucky enough-as such an Irving freak- to see him in NYC with Stephen King and JK Rowling a few yrs back.  

SK stated that, for him, writing a story was like pulling on a long piece of string that leads to a mousehole, the end of which is hidden somewhere deep inside the wall.  And he enjoyed that discovery and surprise the process offered.  JI said oh no, he didn't just want to know the exact dimensions of the string, but the mousehole, any previous mouseholes the mouse had built, and to examine a good copy of the blueprint first.

JI also said he didn't enjoy the writing process.  He rushed through it as fast as he good.  It was the revising, the after, that he savored.

I'm curious-as you said the story came to you.  May I ask if you're usually a string or a mousehole? And if the inspiration was different with this book, was the process of writing TAORITR different than with your other novels?  And do you savor the writing or the revision?  

Sorry. That's a lot, isn't it?  Ty, Garth. 

I don't like revising, personally. I like the moment of creation. I'm willing to revise, but usually that's to hone the structure rather than create a moment.

The process with this novel was slightly different with in that I did much less outlining than I have previously. I think that's because I knew the story so well. I always know the end of the story before I can start the beginning. I have to aim somewhere. Even if I'm wrong and change direction in the middle, I have to have some intended goal.

And ARR is much less of a mouthful than TAORITR. Go with ARR.

Thanks for the questions!

G

Learn more about The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Discover all Garth Stein titles.

Contributor
twizzle
0 Kudos

Mags-nificent wrote:
Does it freak you out to go into Starbucks now?

It always freaks me out.

I second Mags, what was that like?  Walking in and your book was on the shelf?   It must be pretty surreal.
Contributor
twizzle
0 Kudos

Garth_Stein wrote:

I don't like revising, personally. 

*sigh*

I think that's because I knew the story so well.

Thx for answering all that.  Still curious--did the story come at all once or reveal itself  over time?  Which makes me wonder, I've heard writers say they have particular places/times their ideas and stories come to them--walks, showers, sleep? Does this happen to you?

And ARR is much less of a mouthful than TAORITR. Go with ARR.

Will do.  That's much easier.

New User
MsFrango
0 Kudos

Twizzle uses duct tape and Twinkies, but I'm looking for something more painless: If you're still writing from home, how do you make the kids go away long enough to complete a paragraph?

Did that sound cold? I'm sorry. It took 20 minutes just to write that one question. :smileyhappy: And no, I wouldn't be allowed to rent desk space anywhere. Nor am I allowed to hire an additional spouse. rats.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Garth,
You said about this book and needing to write on it that you told your wife and, well here:
"The dog book?" she asked. That's how we referred to my new idea to write a book from the perspective of a dog. The idea had little form beyond that. It was just The Dog Book.

"Yes," I said. "I need to let him out. He's making too much noise in there. I can't concentrate. I can't write what I'm working on. The dog is here."

"Okay," she said reluctantly, knowing that, while sometimes struggle is important, sometimes it results in writing that's forced. "But I want to see pages when you get back."

You made me think of something; authors and how they write but also rituals they may have. Actually I thought of the story "Misery" by Stephen King LOL! but anyway, do you have any rituals when you write, like it has to be this kind of paper, or on that particular desk, etc. And what about when you are done writing one? Anything you just have to do when one is done?
The last thing is, a friend of mine and I were talking about what you said here about the dog book, (thats what we call it too lol) and were wondering, if we read this right anyway, were you trying to work on another novel at the time the dog book kept speaking to you? If so what book was it or, how is it going? We both thought thats what you meant there but rereading it, I am wondering if it was just this book you were struggling with and kept hearing Enzo trying to get out.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
New User
shsuSarah
0 Kudos

Garth,

Do you sell signed copies of your book? My mom is dying for a copy of the book for her birthday, and I thought it would be especially nice if I could get her a signed copy..... Thanks!
~Sarah
Contributor
twizzle
0 Kudos

MsFrango wrote:
Twizzle uses duct tape and Twinkies, but I'm looking for something more painless:

Twinkies don't hurt, Miss Frangolicious, you silly.

Excellent ques, though. 

Author
Garth_Stein
0 Kudos

shsuSarah wrote:
Garth,

Do you sell signed copies of your book? My mom is dying for a copy of the book for her birthday, and I thought it would be especially nice if I could get her a signed copy..... Thanks!
~Sarah

I'm happy to send you a book plate if you PM me your address.

G

Author
Garth_Stein
0 Kudos

MsFrango wrote:
Twizzle uses duct tape and Twinkies, but I'm looking for something more painless: If you're still writing from home, how do you make the kids go away long enough to complete a paragraph?

Did that sound cold? I'm sorry. It took 20 minutes just to write that one question. :smileyhappy: And no, I wouldn't be allowed to rent desk space anywhere. Nor am I allowed to hire an additional spouse. rats.

Have you tried sending them to school? (I'm just saying...)

Seriously, it's always hard to make time. And it's hard to find the energy, especially after chasing kids around all day. But if your Enzo is barking loudly enough, you'll find a way!

Good luck with it--

G

Author
Garth_Stein
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
Garth,
You said about this book and needing to write on it that you told your wife and, well here:
"The dog book?" she asked. That's how we referred to my new idea to write a book from the perspective of a dog. The idea had little form beyond that. It was just The Dog Book.

"Yes," I said. "I need to let him out. He's making too much noise in there. I can't concentrate. I can't write what I'm working on. The dog is here."

"Okay," she said reluctantly, knowing that, while sometimes struggle is important, sometimes it results in writing that's forced. "But I want to see pages when you get back."

You made me think of something; authors and how they write but also rituals they may have. Actually I thought of the story "Misery" by Stephen King LOL! but anyway, do you have any rituals when you write, like it has to be this kind of paper, or on that particular desk, etc. And what about when you are done writing one? Anything you just have to do when one is done?
The last thing is, a friend of mine and I were talking about what you said here about the dog book, (thats what we call it too lol) and were wondering, if we read this right anyway, were you trying to work on another novel at the time the dog book kept speaking to you? If so what book was it or, how is it going? We both thought thats what you meant there but rereading it, I am wondering if it was just this book you were struggling with and kept hearing Enzo trying to get out.

First, I eschew writing rituals. They're just excuses for not writing. ("Well, I couldn't write today because my pencil sharpener is broken and I don't have the 12 sharp pencils I need before I drink my 3 cups of coffee and stand on my head for six minutes...." ) You should train yourself to write anywhere, any time.

Second, I was working on a sequel to Raven Stole the Moon when I started Enzo. So it was an entirely different book and a different feel. I don't know if I'll go back to Raven II. I suspect not. Unless Jenna starts yelling at me--that's entirely possible. I have a new idea I'm toying with and I'm not far from breaking ground on it, so we'll see....

It's funny--about my wife demanding to see pages--when I was in New York doing readings, my mother-in-law introduced me to some friends of hers and said, proudly, "My daughter is his muse." And I thought, well, yes, but not some pixie-dust-scattering, gold-wing-wearing muse. She's more of a dominatrix muse, black leather, riding crop, "I want those pages and I want them now! Get back in your room!"

So. We all find inspiration somewhere!

G

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Garth_Stein wrote:

vivico1 wrote:
Garth,

First, I eschew writing rituals. They're just excuses for not writing. ("Well, I couldn't write today because my pencil sharpener is broken and I don't have the 12 sharp pencils I need before I drink my 3 cups of coffee and stand on my head for six minutes...." ) You should train yourself to write anywhere, any time.

Second, I was working on a sequel to Raven Stole the Moon when I started Enzo. So it was an entirely different book and a different feel. I don't know if I'll go back to Raven II. I suspect not. Unless Jenna starts yelling at me--that's entirely possible. I have a new idea I'm toying with and I'm not far from breaking ground on it, so we'll see....

It's funny--about my wife demanding to see pages--when I was in New York doing readings, my mother-in-law introduced me to some friends of hers and said, proudly, "My daughter is his muse." And I thought, well, yes, but not some pixie-dust-scattering, gold-wing-wearing muse. She's more of a dominatrix muse, black leather, riding crop, "I want those pages and I want them now! Get back in your room!"

G

LOL, I love your rituals example and you got me cracking up about your wife as a dominatrix muse! lol, now I have to say, that really is a new one on me lol. Well if she is in black leather and slapping a riding crop on her side,(I hear the crack now), signifying what you will get if you don't get in that room and write, yep, we do find our inspiration somewhere lol. how funny! Does she know you see her that way lol! I would be saying, what?? and it makes you go write, not go to the bedroom?? LOL! but then thats a different kind of inspiration huh. :smileysurprised: lol, a dominatrix muse. I don't read Harlequin books but there might be a story in that idea for one lol.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Garth_Stein wrote:
 I have a new idea I'm toying with and I'm not far from breaking ground on it, so we'll see....

She's more of a dominatrix muse, black leather, riding crop, "I want those pages and I want them now! Get back in your room!"

G

:smileysurprised: lol, a dominatrix muse. I don't read Harlequin books but there might be a story in that idea for one lol.

Heh, heh...I was thinking the same thing Viv. It sounds like we now know what Garth's new idea is.  :smileywink: It's too bad Enzo won't be making an appearance in that book (unless it's a prequel). I'd really be curious to hear what he had to say!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Garth_Stein wrote:
I have a new idea I'm toying with and I'm not far from breaking ground on it, so we'll see....

She's more of a dominatrix muse, black leather, riding crop, "I want those pages and I want them now! Get back in your room!"

G

:smileysurprised: lol, a dominatrix muse. I don't read Harlequin books but there might be a story in that idea for one lol.

Heh, heh...I was thinking the same thing Viv. It sounds like we now know what Garth's new idea is. :smileywink: It's too bad Enzo won't be making an appearance in that book (unless it's a prequel). I'd really be curious to hear what he had to say!

LOLOL Wrighty! I thought about Enzo, but, oh heck, i can't think at the moment what he called it when Denny and Eve were making love, but anyway, didn't he tend to go ahead and leave the room so they could have their quiet play? lol, or was it that they sent him out, I dont remember now, but he wasn't usually in the room I think lol. I think he would either be growling at Mrs Garth approaching with the riding crop or he would be whining and watching Garth heading for the "writing" room, barking twice....FASTER DENNY! get the heck out of here!
Vivian
Author
Garth_Stein
0 Kudos

Okay, maybe that muse analogy was in bad taste. It was supposed to be a metaphor. Like that she doesn't inspire me by looking like a dewy sweet little angel in the firmament, but by reading my pages very carefully, providing top-notch editing comments, and pushing for me to write better and more. Let's knock off the sex talk and move along before she reads this and clocks me....

Garth

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Garth_Stein wrote:
Okay, maybe that muse analogy was in bad taste. It was supposed to be a metaphor. Like that she doesn't inspire me by looking like a dewy sweet little angel in the firmament, but by reading my pages very carefully, providing top-notch editing comments, and pushing for me to write better and more. Let's knock off the sex talk and move along before she reads this and clocks me....

Garth

Ok, sorry. But it was an amusing picture. It was not in bad taste but if our comments were, on my part, I apologize. :smileysad: I still like the term tho.

Message Edited by vivico1 on 07-11-2008 07:49 PM
Vivian
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Garth_Stein wrote:

Garth

Ok, sorry. But it was an amusing picture. It was not in bad taste but if our comments were, on my part, I apologize. :smileysad: I still like the term tho.

Message Edited by vivico1 on 07-11-2008 07:49 PM

We were just teasing Garth and do apologize. We knew what you meant in your previous post. Bravo for your wife. She sounds like an amazing person. (And you sure can back pedal fast. :smileywink: Good for you!)
Author
Garth_Stein
0 Kudos

All in good fun, I know. No harm done!

Thanks, though.

G

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Garth, I decided when I was reading this book that I would just read it without taking any notes. I often jot down characters and important points when I have a book for a club. I didn't want to interupt the flow of the words. Well, not anymore than I had to. I do have to feed my children occassionally (although by now they should be able to do it themselves.) I used pieces of scrap paper to mark the pages that I wanted to come back to later. I had 42 of them. 42! And I could easily have had more.

I did see the video on B&N when I seached for the book. It was so clever! I love that Enzo was introducing his story. Did you come up with that idea? If not, did you have any input? I noticed it was on Enzogo.com as well.That's different from the way I imagined him but he was very cute and he did fit the description written about him.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:
Garth, I decided when I was reading this book that I would just read it without taking any notes. I often jot down characters and important points when I have a book for a club. I didn't want to interupt the flow of the words. Well, not anymore than I had to. I do have to feed my children occassionally (although by now they should be able to do it themselves.) I used pieces of scrap paper to mark the pages that I wanted to come back to later. I had 42 of them. 42! And I could easily have had more.
I did see the video on B&N when I seached for the book. It was so clever! I love that Enzo was introducing his story. Did you come up with that idea? If not, did you have any input? I noticed it was on Enzogo.com as well.That's different from the way I imagined him but he was very cute and he did fit the description written about him.

I am like you wrighty about keeping notes for bookclub books, but this was such a wonderful book, i didnt stop to do that this time. I wished I had for some points. Hey, I just looked at that video on here and that is how I pictured Enzo, but not his voice. I pictured his voice a little lower and maybe a bit more mature, he is an older dog now after all. Well that and that sounds like the voice of the young man who does so many of our church videos LOL! Where is this Enzogo.com???? I tried typing this in and it wouldn't show as anything.

I agree, cool intro Garth. Did you have a sound for his voice in your head when you were writing this book? I am interested in how you heard him.
Vivian
Author
Garth_Stein
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:
Garth, I decided when I was reading this book that I would just read it without taking any notes. I often jot down characters and important points when I have a book for a club. I didn't want to interupt the flow of the words. Well, not anymore than I had to. I do have to feed my children occassionally (although by now they should be able to do it themselves.) I used pieces of scrap paper to mark the pages that I wanted to come back to later. I had 42 of them. 42! And I could easily have had more.

I did see the video on B&N when I seached for the book. It was so clever! I love that Enzo was introducing his story. Did you come up with that idea? If not, did you have any input? I noticed it was on Enzogo.com as well.That's different from the way I imagined him but he was very cute and he did fit the description written about him.

I made that trailer. That's my dog, Comet. I had cast another dog, who looked the part terrifically, but didn't act the part very well--though he was a very sweet and good looking dog! So I used Comet. The woman in the video is my dear friend and her daughter, and we shot in the park by my home in Seattle. The racing footage was donated by Red Bull. The voice was Mark Lund, a local voice over guy.

The point of using Comet, who is not how I imagined Enzo to look, is that Enzo is Everydog. The exact look is not important; the emotion is.

Vivian, it's GoEnzo.com, not EnzoGo.com. Or you can go to ArtofRacingintheRain.com, which is the same thing....

And, of course, check out my website: garthstein.com

G