Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Garth_Stein
0 Kudos

Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain: Welcome from the Author

ratso446 wrote:

This was just a great book!  I also did some road racing in formula cars and GT sedans.  I loved racing in the rain and drove better.  Enzo reminds me so much of my dog Nala.  I was walking her in January 2008 and slipped on a patch of black ice.  When I awoke I was unable to move from the neck down.  Nala stayed right with me and never my side.  I was able to get my legs working from the knees down and crawled home.  After spinal cord surgery I ended up with blood clots in both lungs.  The saddest part was Nala had to be in a kennel for 21 days.  When we were re-united at home she was so careful and concerned for me just as Enzo was.  I am almost back to full steam and we still walk and talk.  We call her shadow because whenever I move she goes with me.  I just love how you captured the thoughts of Enzo and were convey the feelings he had for his people.  Nala has a Barnsie bear on a shelf by her bed and she thinks it may be like the zebra.  Please continue to write and don't rest on your laurels.

Great work my friend.

Ratso

I promise not to rest on my laurels if you promise not to rest until you are back at full mobility and strength!
Nala sounds like a wonderful dog.  Treasure her.  
Best of spirit, Ratso, and thanks for joining the discussion!
Garth 

Learn more about The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Discover all Garth Stein titles.

New User
blossom_the_dam
0 Kudos

Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain: Welcome from the Author

This book made me laugh, it made me cry, and it made me reflect on my own "parenting" skills as mommy to a 70 lb. Boxer named Otis.  Enzo is the sweetest, most insightful creature... we all could learn a lesson or two from him.

I was most impressed with Enzo's attitude.  No matter how devastating some of the events that occurred were, Enzo managed to maintain such an optimistic nature, always pointing out the positive side of each situation.

I also enjoyed reading a dog's perspective on some of the simplicites of life - very funny!  Equally as humorous were the numerous "incidents" throughout the book pitting Enzo against his arch enemy, the zebra!

I was so impressed and enchanted by this book that I read it from cover to cover within two days and promptly recommended it to my sister; she read the entire book in ONE day!

I highly recommend this book to every dog lover.  "The Art of Racing in the Rain" is the BEST book I have EVER read.

Thank you, Garth Stein.  What a masterpiece!!