Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

The Diplomat's Wife: Later chapters and whole novel

[ Edited ]
Please use this thread to begin discussing your ideas about the entire novel. Please remember that spoilers are fine here!

Message Edited by rkubie on 06-01-2008 10:25 PM
New User
eight
0 Kudos

Re: The Diplomat's Wife: Later chapters and whole novel

The story really heated up in the later chapters and the end. I liked how it all came about. And I liked the ending. Best part of the book.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Pam said in the First Impressions thread:

One of my theories on why Marta is more likeable now:  in the first book, she was very young and judgmental and saw the world in black-and-white terms.  Now, when she is thrust into her own complex survival situations and moral decisions, I think she understands better some of the choices that Emma had to make and is a more mature woman for it.

Pam, I moved my response here because I am very afraid of spoilers.  I don't want to ruin the book for the others.

I agree that Marta coming to terms with what Emma had to do showed tremendous growth in Marta's character.  Also, when we, the readers, learn that she had not been in a sexual relationship with Jacob, I think that served to give us a better impression of her and clear up a mystery from TKG, a mystery that was negatively impacting our opinion of Marta.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Author
Pam_Jenoff
0 Kudos

I agree that the question of what was going on between Marta and Jacob was one of the big unanswered questions - I was rather curious myself!
Frequent Contributor
KathyH
0 Kudos

The novel was great! It flowed well, didn't give away too much too soon, and kept me involved. I try now to read jackets and reviews until after I read a book.

I've been reading Frank Delaney's current book, Tipperary, for months because I meander, read a part and find myself staring at my courtyard, viewing scenes in my mind and imagining. I feel as though I'm floating on a calm river. The Diplomat's Wife was white water rafting! I read it in two sittings because I wanted to know what happened next. Both Frank and Pam paint great pictures, but Pam's seem to come to me almost like a quick slide show and Frank's like a slow movie reel.

OK, does this make sense?!

KathyH
Author
Pam_Jenoff
0 Kudos

I am glad you felt that way!  I worried about showing too many places, but that was the story as Marta told it to me (I have so little control over these things :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
johanna49
0 Kudos

Pam,
You wrote an excellent novel. I finished it yesterday. It was obvious something wrong with Marta and Simon's marriage. However, I caught on that maybe Simon was the mole in the British Embassy. Though, it was a surprise of how extensive was his treachery. I am one that likes surprises that I can not figure out.
I love mysteries.
Author
Pam_Jenoff
0 Kudos

Glad you liked it!  You caught on about Simon, but were you surprised about Dava's betrayal?
Frequent Contributor
johanna49
0 Kudos

Yes, I was very surprised at Dava's betrayal. That was shocker!!! In the  hospital camp she seemed to be such a good person. Here she was looking for someone who would work with Simon. I was also shocked that she killed Rose.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Pam_Jenoff wrote:
Glad you liked it!  You caught on about Simon, but were you surprised about Dava's betrayal?

I had no clue about anything!  I am terrible at solving mysteries and I do not read thrillers, so I have no experience with them on which to draw.

Simon didn't warm my heart, so I wasn't too taken aback by the revelations about him.  I was just sick about what Dava did though.

I am always amazed that people can think stories like this up.  Pam, do you read thrillers?  Where did the idea for Simon and Dava to be "bad people" come from?
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Author
Pam_Jenoff
0 Kudos

Such interesting questions!  I do read thrillers, though not exclusively or predominantly.  My next book also has some thriller like elements to it and I find structuring that to be a real challenge.  I didn't set out to have Simon or Dava be the mole (I am not sure I even knew there would be a mole.)  But I'd read about how there were Communist spies recruited from Cambridge and other universities in the post-war years and that made me think of Simon (and it was good to get him out of the way at the end.)  Dava was a complete shock to me as well but when I looked back it made sense and helped to explain her motivation in many ways.
Contributor
emmajane
0 Kudos

I was also completely shocked by Dava. I thought she just loved Marta as much as Marta loved her. Simon, I thought was the mole because he did not seem to love Marta or really care about anything. He was so secretive and that is always a bad sign.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Paul yet. I could not believe it when he turned up. I sorta thought that he would because of the back (sad that it gives that much away. I can not decide how I feel about him coming back. I liked that it ended the happy way instead of Marta with her child on her own. But it would have been interesting to see Marta survive on her own in Europe. So, I am tore on Paul's reappearance.

Oh, I wanted to ask if Marta and Paul will be appearing in any other books? They make a great pair of spies.
Frequent Contributor
johanna49
0 Kudos

Dear Pam,
Thank you for joining us. You answered our questions and comments. I do not read a lot of historical fiction.However, I also read your Kommandant's Girl. That was one exciting story. Good Luck!!!