Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman

The Help: Introduce Yourself

Please let us know a little bit about yourself and what led you to pick up The Help.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: The Help: Introduce Yourself

Hi!  I'm Laura and I live on the south coast of Maine.  I am a regular on the New Reads board.  You can read more about me in my profile.

I like reading books by new authors, with historical fiction being my favorite genre, so I knew The Help was a book for me.

I am just beginning the book.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Reader
luvmygirls0
0 Kudos

Hi there! My name is Carol and I live in Southern California.

A friend of mine heard about this book from a review in Entertainment Weekly and we read it for our last book club. What an AMAZING read....it brought me to tears several times. (It's been years since a book made me cry.)

I can't wait to see the discussions of this book!

Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

Hi! I'm April from Eastern Nebraska. I read the desciption of The Help after this board announced it would be discussed this month. I loved what I read, so I bought the book and really like it so far. Can't wait to discuss it with you all.
April
Wordsmith
maude40
0 Kudos

Hi   I'm Yvonne from Michigan. I've started the book and I'am thoroughly enjoying it. Can't wait to comment on the board.
Correspondent
retromom
0 Kudos

Hi! I'm Beth and I read The Help about a month ago. I live in Wisconsin. I had seen many wonderful reviews for The Help on various blogs. I picked it up and read it pretty quickly. It's an excellent read.
Beth

http://bookaholicmom.blogspot.com/
Contributor
ladycarolina
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Helen. Part of my childhood was spent in Louisiana (I'm living in South Carolina now).  I love reading historical novels so The Help was right along my alley.
Frequent Contributor
WinterLady
0 Kudos

I just started reading the book and it's already pulled me in.  Historical fiction is also one of my favorite genres but I haven't read much about this time period, which makes the story interesting to me.   I was mainly drawn to the description of the three main characters.
New User
KtrinkKT
0 Kudos

Hi all.  I am from Pittsburgh PA.  I asked our local B&N seller about the book because it was sitting at the info  desk.  I really enjoyed the book and made me think.  I cannot decide which character I like the most. I have already recommended it to others :smileyhappy:   I am excited to discuss this book.  Kathy
Patience the Best is Yet to Come.
Contributor
crimekitty763
0 Kudos

Hi everyonel,   My name is Rosalie (crime kitty).  I live in Columbus, Ohio.  I am a retired/disabled first grade teacher.  (The kids made me sick).......Actually I caught strep throat from them, didn't go to the doc.  Strep went into Rheumatic fever and settled in my only kidney.  In 2004 I had to have a kidney transplant.  

I am an avid reader.  My favorite genre is historical fiction.  Presently I am very involved with World War II stories. 

I have already read THE HELP and recommended it to my friends, gave a copy to my sister for her birthday and put my reviews on B&N and Amazon.  This book is fabulous. I have read a few of the books from First Look Books, reviewed them and joined the conversation about them in the BN book club.   

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain.
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Kaye from FL and I received an ARC of this book. I was pulled in immediately and did not want to put the book down until the last page. Of the 70 books I have read this year, The Help is in the top 3! An absolutely fabulous debut novel.My review is posted on B&N with a 5 star rating. Highly recommended.  I hope Ms. Stockett has another one in the works.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Nancy and I haven't even purchased the book.  I heard about it (read about it ) on the First Look board, and saw the link to this board.  It sounded interesting, so I read the excerpt offered, now I am hooked! I live in New England,have all my life, but I have family in Alabama (that's where my step father was raised.) I know this book will make me cry, I can tell already.  But it won't stop me, I need to go buy it tomorrow morning (laundry and house cleaning will have to wait)  Happy Mother's day to me!:smileywink:
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

momgee wrote:

Of the 70 books I have read this year, The Help is in the top 3!

70 books?!?!  Wow!

What are the other two books that made the top 3?

Laura

Author
Kathryn_Stockett
0 Kudos

Rosalie,

Thanks so much for introducing yourself.  There's a book coming out next February under Amy Einhorn's imprint, called The Postmistress.  It takes place in the US and London during WWII and is about a postwoman, a female journalist, and the wife of a military doctor in the midst of wartime.  It is gorgeous.

I am at the moment, trying to come up with a blurb that will do it justice, because I love it so much.  But something rings in my mind that Amy said... you know how some books give you a certain 'feeling'... and you think about it all day, how you can't wait to get back to that 'feeling' that you found in the pages of a book.  That is The Postmistress.  

Thanks again for writing about The Help.  Oh dear, this is going to get filed under "off topic" isn't it.

Best,

Kathryn Stockett 

New User
SuzyFor
0 Kudos

Hi, everyone!  I am Suzanne and I live in California.  I have been a reader of all sorts of books since forever -- I can't imagine a life without books. I read a very positive review of The Help in one of the dailies I read so I requested it at our local library. It has to be one of the very best "reads" of the last year for me, and it is now my gift-of-choice for friends and family members.  It is so rare to come across a work of fiction that is so original, so beautifully written, and whose characters are so very believable.  It speaks so truly to the experience of the Civil Rights movement.  I was really blown away.
Author
Kathryn_Stockett
0 Kudos

Hi Suzanne- thanks so much for joining the group and for your kind words.

Best,

KS 

Contributor
mnbc
0 Kudos

Hi my name is Dale and live in Central MA. I am in a book club with 8 other woman and The Help was our pick for last month's read. I really enjoyed the book and loved the characters. Loved learning about the south in the early 1960's. My Book club agrees with me and we give the book a thumbs up
Book Lover
Reader
txaggieKR
0 Kudos

Hi all!  My name is Kendall and I'm a graduate student at Texas A&M.  I just started reading The Help and I already can't put it down.  I searched through some of the bestsellers at bn.com and came across this book.  Every single review had something positive to say about it, so I quickly ran to Barnes and Noble and purchased it :smileyhappy:  Can't wait to finish it!
Author
Kathryn_Stockett
0 Kudos

oh yes- please do tell your top picks.  I'm always looking for a good read.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Kathryn_Stockett wrote:
oh yes- please do tell your top picks.  I'm always looking for a good read.

Well, I guess we're not going to find out what the other two were.

Coming off a great book, like The Help, I am always careful about choosing my next book, fearing it would have a hard time measuring up to my previous read.  I read Little Bee right after I finished The Help and found it to be a super read also.  It is very different from The Help, but just as satisfying.

Little Bee 

Laura