Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
jentrees3
0 Kudos

Re: The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: Welcome from the Author

I just LOVED this book I couldn't put it down when Edgar was staying with Henry.  I wanted him to go back home to his mom.  The last chapter was painful.  I HATED it.  I don't care if it is like Hamlet, I just wanted Edgar to be safe with TRudy.  I was upset for a couple of days and wish not to feel that like that over a book.  My life can provide it.  The beauty of the book was not worth the pain of seeing Trudy in total abject pain at losing her beloved son.  I HATED the ending and wish I had not read the book.

New User
vjgordon350
0 Kudos

Re: The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: Part V: Poison

The ending of The Story of Edgar Sawtelle was foretold when he caused the death of Dr. Papineau.  It was not something he could live with.

It was a tragedy only if one thinks of death a a tragedy, but the author provides us an alternative when he reunites Edgar with his father and Almondine.  We are then allowed to imagine them going on to the "happy ever after" ending.

As for Trudy and the dogs, again the author allows the readers to create their own "Epilogue".   I see Essay leading the dogs to Henry's house where Henry finds his way out of ordinariness by bringing them into his life.  Trudy eventually discovers where the dogs went, meets Henry and they become friends, continuing the breeding and training of Sawtelle Dogs.