Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: Read the discussion with David Wroblewski

Last month, we hosted a lively discusssion of The Story of Edgar Sawtelle with the author, David Wroblewski. 

Now it's the latest Oprah Book Club selection!

In case you missed it, you can read the discussion with the author here in New Reads and see what he had to say about the book.

Just click here to go back to the main page and scroll down for threads entitled: The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.

Happy reading!

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

New User
wiry
0 Kudos

Re: The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: Read the discussion with David Wroblewski

I just finished Edgar Sawtelle last night.  I had started it once before, but hadn't gotten past the first 50 pages, but tried it again and once I was "in" I was captured.  I loved the concept of the Sawtelle dogs and have been surprised at how many people were so appalled at the ending.  I was knocked out by the ending.  I thought that it was a very contemporary vision.  Evil  (Madoff?)   does happen to good people for no apparent reason.  The great flyswatter in the sky unfairly crushes dreams, plans, hopes.  Nature has a villainous side.  But only if we don't accept that the only power we really have is how we react to this evil.  Edgar comes full circle in the story.  We know he shouldn't return because the "seer" has told us so.  And still we hope that Edgar will have the poison sucked out of him and the dogs will return to drag him out of the barn and his mother and he will become famous dog breeders.  Sooooorrrrrrry.  Edgar completes his journey in a positive way while Claude burns through hell at the end.  Trudy has been living with closed eyes.  Glen has eyes but (like Teresias) cannot see the ways in which Claude is manipulating him.  And the Sawtelle dogs, the wonderful evolving dogs who have learned to make decisions of their own, via Edgar, leave the evil mess and return to the wild with Forte.  Anyway, thanks, David, for such a compelling, contemporary read.  The days of good being rewarded and evil paying the price,  are left with the likes of Law and Order and NCIS.  Not really the way it is but we've been brainwashed  into believing that it should be. 

New User
luckyreader
0 Kudos

Re: The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: Read the discussion with David Wroblewski

Am reading the book now and loving it. Thank you, David, for such a beautiful book. The cover art matches the sense of foreboding I have as I read... sometimes dreading to turn the page but am drawn by the irresistable pull of the characters. The effect is unforgettable. Hearing what I am reading, friends have warned me to steel myself!

What I call dark stories are so cathartic for me... help me to cope with my own dark times. I love HOW this book was written, with such beautiful language that begs to be read aloud.