Rachel-K
0 Kudos

The Writing on my Forehead: First Impressions

Please use this thread to share how you came to pick up The Writing on my Forehead? What are your early impressions of the novel?
Contributor
ImBookingIt
0 Kudos

Re: The Writing on my Forehead: First Impressions

I won a copy of The Writing on my Forehead on GoodReads.com.  I entered because I was intrigued by the description.

I really enjoyed the book!  I loved the characters and the chance to learn about their culture. I also found it an entertaining read. 

It was one of the first books I reviewed on my blog, so it will stick with me for that reason as well.

I'm looking forward to other books by Nafisa Haji.

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

I like the writing style.  The book flows so smoothly.

I am always on the lookout for references to the title of a book, and I found one in the first paragraph of the book!  Cool!

The reader is presented with a sticky family situation.  I must admit, I had trouble keeping all the names and relations straight, so I made myself a family tree, which made things seem so simple, at least on the surface.  I assume the book will detail very complicated relationships and feelings, which I am looking forward to reading about.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Author
Nafisa_Haji
0 Kudos

So--on the subject of references in titles, there's a bit of background that I usually share with readers when I'm doing a reading event that you might find interesting.  The explicit reference is clear in the very first paragraph, yes.  But to a significant part of the world--the Indian Subcontinent, Iran, and the Arab world--the writing on a person's forehead is a clear cultural reference to destiny or kismet--something that is never explicitly stated in the book.  Just something a little extra to think about....

-Nafisa

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Nafisa_Haji wrote:

But to a significant part of the world--the Indian Subcontinent, Iran, and the Arab world--the writing on a person's forehead is a clear cultural reference to destiny or kismet--something that is never explicitly stated in the book.  Just something a little extra to think about....

Thank you!  Great food for thought as I continue reading.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.