Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
SyrieJames
0 Kudos

Welcome!

Dear Reader,

The world adores Jane Austen, and for good reason: she was a brilliant craftsman, she was witty and ironic, and she wrote about what people risk when they fall in love.

But did Jane Austen ever fall in love herself? To write with such insight, Jane Austen must have had a great romance of her own. That's the premise behind my novel, in which Jane Austen reveals the truth behind the love affair that inspired her return to writing.

I have long been fascinated by Jane Austen: the woman behind the writer. Who was she? What inspired her to write all those wonderful, witty and romantic novels? We know that Jane Austen never married; but I couldn't believe that she could have written with such insight, having never had a great romance of her own.

Jane Austen was a prolific letter writer, but no personal letters survive between January 1809 and April 1811. It's inconceivable that she stopped writing to her sister, friends and nieces during that time. It's well known that Cassandra, late in life, destroyed many of Jane's letters and cut out portions of others, presumably because she deemed them too personal to share. I couldn't help but wonder: what was Cassandra trying to hide? Wasn't it possible that Jane had a love affair during those missing years -- a meaningful and passionate relationship which Cassandra conspired to keep secret?

It is this premise that I used as the starting point for my novel. I spent more than two years extensively researching Jane Austen's life and works, determined to remain true to Jane Austen's known history. I decided to interweave my story with the writing of one of Austen's most famous novels, to showcase her inspiration and her struggle as a writer, both because of and in spite of her romantic relationship. When I was finished, I hoped it would be difficult for even the most discerning Jane Austen scholar to determine where fact ended and fiction began.

I look forward to chatting with you about my novel, and to hearing your thoughts, comments, and questions!

Learn more about
The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen

Visit www.syriejames.com
Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

Hello Syrie!

Hello Syrie!

I am so glad you are here for this discussion. Currently having read through Chapter Seven, I find some interesting "figures" in the memoirs that might have "inspired" some of the characterizations in Austen's writing. I think this is going to be fun (sort of a "chicken" or the "egg" sort of thing)! Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading and discussing!
Frequent Contributor
hpthatbme
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome!

I just ordered my book, and it should be here soon. I can't wait to start reading and discussing the book with you!

Heather
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Hello Syrie!

Hello all, I haven't gotten my book as of yet either. But I hope its soon. I am also a Jane Austen lover. I read everything on her. I know I will delve into this book about her secret life. Can't wait, but I will have to.
Contributor
Rachael_Grimes
0 Kudos

Glad to see that I am not the only one out there who has not gotten their book yet... I too like many of you am a Jane Austen fan. I admit, I have seen more of the movies made out of her books then read them, but I plan on changing that someday. I have always gotten lost in the language, and art displayed in how characters interact with each other in regard to societal status, and social graces. It with the hearts of many of her female characters that I connect with, and the idea of the romances played out in her works are spell binding from what little I have read, and seen in several of the movies. While taking in, the fact that Hollywood loves to add on to an authors work... wink, wink. I look forward to talking with ya'll about this novel.
Rachael
-that saddest words in tong and pen are to wonder what could have been. Lucy M. Montgomery
Contributor
ReadingFix
0 Kudos

I was a little lost, as to where this discussion would begin. This is my first attempts at participating in an online book club! I am so glad I found this one that will be addressing one of my favorites Jane Austen! I love Pride and Prejudice and have been a fan ever since. As a matter of fact this Christmas I got the A&E's mini-series of P&P! I love it!

I look forward to everyone's thoughts and ideas on the book as we all jointly delve into it!

Cristina
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Hello!

Hello Everyone!!!

I too am a Jane Austen lover, and love to read anything connected to her & her novels. I picked up The Lost Memoirs this weekend and read it. I really enjoyed it, particularly the tie-ins. This book brought Jane alive in a fun & enjoyable way.

I look forward to discussing this book with everyone!
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Author
SyrieJames
0 Kudos

Re: Hello!

LizzieAnn wrote:
Hello Everyone!!!

I too am a Jane Austen lover, and love to read anything connected to her & her novels. I picked up The Lost Memoirs this weekend and read it. I really enjoyed it, particularly the tie-ins. This book brought Jane alive in a fun & enjoyable way.

I look forward to discussing this book with everyone!

Hi Liz,
I'm so glad you enjoyed my novel!

Learn more about

Visit www.syriejames.com
Contributor
anneofgreengables
0 Kudos

Oh Syrie, I loved your book. I was fortunate enough to get a advanced copy. I have now got my friends who reside in 3 differant states onto it. I loved it! I read Jane and Cassandra's parts out loud in differant english accents. I think reading it as if I was Jane made it more personal. I found myself laughing out loud and crying. I loved it. I look forward to more from you.
New User
SHowe
0 Kudos

I am so glad that I came across this bookclub. I have been watching the A&E Pride and Prejudice with some friends for the past couple months, once a week we will do dinner and a movie at my friends house. Prior to that, I went to a sneek preview of a movie called The Jane Austen Book Club and remembered reading P&P when I was in highschool. Now that we are through watching P&P, this is a great opportunity for us to read your book and continue the Jane Austen experience. I havent read any of the other Jane Austen books except the beginning of Sense and Sensibility, but I am sure I will love reading The Lost Memoirs!
My goal in life is to be the person my dog thinks I am - anonymous.
Author
SyrieJames
0 Kudos

The A&E P&P is one of my all-time favorite films, along with Ang Lee's "Sense & Sensibility." Did you know that Masterpiece Theater will be running a Jane Austen marathon beginning Jan. 13? They've made new films of 4 of her books, and a film reportedly "based on" her life. Sounds like a great opportunity for your dinner/movie club!

SHowe wrote:
I am so glad that I came across this bookclub. I have been watching the A&E Pride and Prejudice with some friends for the past couple months, once a week we will do dinner and a movie at my friends house. Prior to that, I went to a sneek preview of a movie called The Jane Austen Book Club and remembered reading P&P when I was in highschool. Now that we are through watching P&P, this is a great opportunity for us to read your book and continue the Jane Austen experience. I havent read any of the other Jane Austen books except the beginning of Sense and Sensibility, but I am sure I will love reading The Lost Memoirs!

Learn more about

Visit www.syriejames.com
New User
lala0203
0 Kudos

I haven't gotten my copy of the book yet, but I am really excited about it. I can't wait to read it.
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

I just got my copy and am looking forward to devouring it this weekend!
New User
SHowe
0 Kudos

Syrie, thanks for the heads up on the Masterpiece Theatre shows. I will have to check that out! I am almost half-way through your book and enjoying it very much. Thanks again!
My goal in life is to be the person my dog thinks I am - anonymous.
Author
SyrieJames
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed Masterpiece Theatre's Northanger Abbey, and look forward to Mansfield Park this Sunday night. I've seen every adaptation ever made of Jane Austen's books, and can never get enough of them!

Learn more about

Visit www.syriejames.com