Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

[ Edited ]
Hosseini's Moving Second Novel

Book Cover Image: Title: A Thousand Splendid Suns, Author: Khaled Hosseini Buy It From our editors: "Khaled Hosseini's follow-up to The Kite Runner does not disappoint. Set like its predecessor in war-torn Afghanistan, A Thousand Splendid Suns uses that tumultuous backdrop to render the heroic plight of two women of different generations married to the same savagely abusive male.... Truly must-read fiction."

Whether you're a fan after having read The Kite Runner or are new to Hosseini's fiction, you can share your thoughts on his compelling read here.

And be sure to visit our Book Club throughout August to discuss Hosseini's latest work!

Amanda

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 08-03-2007 09:43 AM

New User
Vestboy_Myst
0 Kudos

Re: A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Yas 1st one to get xtra credit!
New User
Sari1583
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Very, very, very interesting read. I am new to the authors work so I had no idea what to expect. I could not put this novel down. This was a very good recommendation. I recommend everyone to read this. Job well done!

Message Edited by Sari1583 on 05-26-200710:22 PM

Sarita Hernández
New User
nurseclm
0 Kudos

I read the Kite Runner, could not put it down, and was anxiously awaiting the new book. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. This author continues to amaze me. Treat yourself to his two books, your summer will be enriched if you do!
New User
Vestboy_Myst
0 Kudos

Just got it today, already 3/4 way done, i cudnt put it down! also, i was on a 5 hour flight and was bored

not as good as kiterunner but good nontheless
Reader
AlanMats
0 Kudos

Finished the book in less than a week which is fast for me. Hosseini's vivid narrative makes for an exciting and yet easy read. I think what draws me in and keeps me there is his character development. It is this development which makes you really "care" what is going to happen to the heroines at the end of the book. "The Kite Runner" is probably the best book I've ever read. "A Thousand Splendid Suns" is an excellent book as well; maybe a rung below. Being a male, "The Kite Runner" just hit home. As I'm sure many females will connect on some level with "A Thousand Splendid Suns". Kudos to Hosseini for such great literature.
Frequent Contributor
bookhunter
0 Kudos

This was a wonderful book. Mr. Hosseini's imagery is just beautiful. One thing I enjoy about this book and _The Kite Runner_ is the characters' connection to "home" and the pull a location can have on a person's soul. I may not be Afghani, but being a southern girl I can appreciate that pull. Kabul is not the only city with a thousand splendid suns.
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

I loved reading The Kite Runner; it's a fascinating window into Afghanistan's culture, peopled with personal stories of vividly created characters. I couldn't wait for Mr. Hosseini's new book. I'm now reading A Thousand Splendid Suns. Again, his writing has mesmerized me. What an amazing interpretation of a country I've never visited. I'm gripped by his marvelous creations of Mariam and Laila. I started the book this morning, and I can't stop reading until I've finished it. And then I'll be sad that I finished it.

I'm looking forward to discussing his book in August.
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Reader
momom248
0 Kudos

I read Kite Runner a couple of years ago and loved it and didn't know how Khaled Hosseini could surpass that book, but he has. A Thousand Splendid Suns is probably one of the best books I have ever read. I am now having a hard time finding another book that's just as good to read. I loved the characters and the story and opened my eyes to what women in Afghanistan have been going through. I didn't want this book to end.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

I cant wait to get this book and read it. I have a barns and noble gift certificate I received for my birthday, cant wait to find the time to go get it. I loved kite runner, it is my favorite read of all time. If this new one, is just half as good.
Frequent Contributor
sethsma05
0 Kudos

I went to BN to get the book after reading the posts, and the Kite Runner as right next to it, so I got that too. That was last night, and I'm already halfway through the Kite Runner! I know I made a good choice by getting both.

I also found out he's going to be in my city on Friday for a book signing. I might just have to buy another copy.
Contributor
Kristen_C
0 Kudos

Any one else find it interesting that there is a book titled "Splendid Slippers: A Thousand Years of an Erotic Tradition" that was published before A Thousand Splendid Suns? The book is about foot binding in China and I am wondering if Mr. Hosseini was aware of the book and maybe drawing a parallel between the oppressed women of China and those in Afghanistan. Thoughts??
The cottage of content is better than the palace of cold splendor and where love is, all is. ~Charles Dickens in David Copperfield
Frequent Contributor
Chaser
0 Kudos

I finished A Thousand Splendid Suns Friday night and am anxiously awaiting the discussion in August. I thought originally that Hosseini would be leading the group, but now it looks as though it is advertised as Moderator-led. Does anyone know if the author will be present through the discussion. I was definitely hoping so.

To echo the sentiments of another poster, I was thrilled to be able to experience this second book, but I am sad that it is over now. I hope Hosseini is working on a third book soon!

Hope to see you in August!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Chaser wrote:
I finished A Thousand Splendid Suns Friday night and am anxiously awaiting the discussion in August. I thought originally that Hosseini would be leading the group, but now it looks as though it is advertised as Moderator-led. Does anyone know if the author will be present through the discussion. I was definitely hoping so.

To echo the sentiments of another poster, I was thrilled to be able to experience this second book, but I am sad that it is over now. I hope Hosseini is working on a third book soon!

Hope to see you in August!

As far as I know, the author will not be present at all with this read. His schedule doesn't allow it. With the popularity he reigns with his best seller, this time and before, leaves little time for anything else. I can't wait to read it and hopefully we still will have a lively discussion with it. I know its as good as the Kite Runner.
And since this took so long to write, we probably will be waiting a while longer for another book of this magnitude.
Contributor
Nanacat
0 Kudos

I have been away from the book club for awhile but just finished reading
this wonderful book last week. I could not put it down and finished it in
less than a week. I enjoyed it just as much as the Kite Runner, although
reading about what these people had to survive on a daily basis is heart breaking.
I have also read Reading Lolita in Tehran about the struggle of the suppression
of woman. This makes me realize how terrific it is to be in America. A Thousand Splendid Suns is a very worth well read along with the Kite Runner.
Contributor
bennysax1
0 Kudos

I don't want to take away from the discussion of the main themes in Hosseini's novel, but I noticed that the theme of constant change and political turmoil was threaded throughout the novel along with the struggles and triumphs of Afghan women. It seemed as if the backdrop of the novel had about as much to say about the human condition as did the events of the two women in the forfront. The constantly changing and fighting countryside that never seemed to unite and find stability seemed to paint a more realistic picture of the region and it's struggles that we as Americans have a hard time understanding.

I think this book should make us all stop and think about the wonderful advantages of being an America, but also the wonderful responsibility of it. I'll leave that statement to be discussed and not explained.
New User
AmyVictoria
0 Kudos

After reading the Kite Runner, I knew I had to read this one.  I wasn't disappointed.  Highly recommend.
New User
sandra27
0 Kudos

I had read the book and completed it in a week. I would have to say that this book is incredibly powerful and moving. I had no idea what to expect when I began to read it. Once I got started, I could not put this book down. I am really impressed with the vivid descriptions of Afghanistan and how the people there really live, pre- and post-Taiban time periods. I would definitely read more books by this author. He did an incredible time with telling the story in such incredible details.
Contributor
crazyladyteacher
0 Kudos

I read this over the weekend. Saturday, I spent five hours with the book, unable to put it down until my eyes gave out. I was very impressed with Hosseini's ability to write from two female perspectives after the strong male voice in The Kite Runner.

One of the reviews on the back of the copy I have referred to their not being the same kind of disturbing scenes in this novel as there were in The Kite Runner. I have to disagree, however. I found the final scene with Rasheem to be incredibly difficult to to get through as I imagined the level of violence these women were enduring. Anyone have any thoughts on why a reviewer might not see that scene as disturbing as the rape scene in Kite?

New User
Sofia99
0 Kudos

I picked this book up, not knowing what to expect. I knew Khaled had written the Kite Runner so I just picked this up. I could not put it down, I was amazed at how beautifully it was written. Khaled Hosseini is one of my favorite authors now. A Thousand Splendid Suns was just incredible! :smileyhappy: