BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Body Surfing by Anita Shreve

[ Edited ]
A New Novel from Shreve

Book Cover Image: Title: Body Surfing, Author: Anita Shreve Buy It From the Publisher: "At the age of 29, Sydney has already been once divorced and once widowed. Trying to regain her footing once again, she has answered an ad to tutor the teenage daughter of a wellto- do couple as they spend a sultry summer in their oceanfront New Hampshire cottage. But when the Edwards' two grown sons, Ben and Jeff, arrive at the beach house, Sydney finds herself caught up in a destructive web of old tensions and bitter divisions. As the brothers vie for her affections, the fragile existence Sydney has rebuilt for herself is threatened. With the subtle wit, lyrical language, and brilliant insight into the human heart that has led her to be called "an author at one with her métier" (Miami Herald), Shreve weaves a novel about marriage, family, and the supreme courage that it takes to love."

Share your thoughts and reactions to Shreve's latest bestseller here.

Amanda

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 06-06-2007 11:53 AM

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Body Surfing by Anita Shreve

Oh! My! Glad to see Anita Shreve with a new book! I have read all of her others. I have read all of her books since Oprah had her on her first book club where she viewed mostly new authors or not well known ones. She is a great writer!
New User
Pattob00
0 Kudos

I just finished Body Surfing by Anita Shreve

The first few pages of Body Surfing were a little slow going, which I have found to be true of several of her other books (not Light on Snow!)
However, I read this one faster than I did the others.

I think that what Shreve did with the idea of waves taking over Sydney's life - divorce, widowhood, and then Jeff- really worked. Sometimes symbolism and metaphors feel forced (outside of the classics of course). Sydney looks for the right time to let each wave take her, but she can't predict or control the journey nor the outcome. Riding waves the start and the end of the story - loved that
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: I just finished Body Surfing by Anita Shreve

Pattob00 wrote:
The first few pages of Body Surfing were a little slow going, which I have found to be true of several of her other books (not Light on Snow!)
However, I read this one faster than I did the others.

I think that what Shreve did with the idea of waves taking over Sydney's life - divorce, widowhood, and then Jeff- really worked. Sometimes symbolism and metaphors feel forced (outside of the classics of course). Sydney looks for the right time to let each wave take her, but she can't predict or control the journey nor the outcome. Riding waves the start and the end of the story - loved that

Sounds like my kind of read! I have the book just haven't had the time to read it. I have read all of hers and I do find that the first part most of the time takes some time but it really needs a slow start to grasp the rest of the book. She writes with such depht.