Reply
BN Editor
Amanda_R
Posts: 203
Registered: ‎09-25-2006
0 Kudos

Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier

[ Edited ]
Tracy Chevalier's New Historical Hit

Book Cover Image: Title: Burning Bright, Author: Tracy Chevalier Buy It The author of Girl with a Pearl Earring is back with another enthralling historical novel -- this one set in the last decade of the 18th century. The story follows Thomas Kellaway and his family as they migrate from rural Dorset to London, where Thomas is to work as a circus carpenter and builder. The novel foregrounds the experiences of Kellaway's son Jem and his pretty sister Maisie as they adjust with varying degrees of success to urban life, and the vicissitudes of adulthood. As in her previous novels, Chevalier mixes historical characters and her own creations; among the real people vividly portrayed here are circus pioneer Philip Astley and radical poet William Blake.

Bonus: listen to our fascinating audio interview with Chevalier.

Amanda



Message Edited by Amanda_R on 06-22-2007 03:36 PM

Frequent Contributor
ELee
Posts: 418
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Tracy Chevalier's novels

Looking forward to it! My first (and favorite) Chevalier book was "The Virgin Blue". That story still haunts me to this day and (like a first love) will always be my first association with the author. I also very much enjoyed "Girl with a Pearl Earring" which had a similar haunting resonance. (I saw the movie after reading the book and thought it was well done and an excellent visual addition to the "pictures" I had already created in my head.) While reading "The Lady and the Unicorn", I took color copies of the tapestries and pasted them into my book to have them as a reference. I love Chevalier's little "historical incidentals" that are revealed on these journeys to another time and place, as well as the imaginative "fleshing out" of people/events we may only know by name today.
BN Editor
Amanda_R
Posts: 203
Registered: ‎09-25-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Tracy Chevalier's novels

Hi, ELee -- thanks for posting!

I loved Girl with a Pearl Earring -- both the book and the movie adaptation -- and can't wait to see how Chevalier invokes Blake in this new one. Let us know your thoughts once you give it a read!

Amanda

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 3,107
Registered: ‎10-27-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Tracy Chevalier's novels


ELee wrote: I also very much enjoyed "Girl with a Pearl Earring" which had a similar haunting resonance. (I saw the movie after reading the book and thought it was well done and an excellent visual addition to the "pictures"




For me it was the other way round, I first saw the movie and then bought the book but I didn't read it yet.
Do you always read a book first and then see the movie?

ziki
Frequent Contributor
ELee
Posts: 418
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Tracy Chevalier's novels

ziki wrote:
"Do you always read a book first and then see the movie?"

Yes
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Tracy Chevalier's novels

I look forward to joining you ELee and everyone - I like Tracy Chevalier too and have just ordered Burning Bright.




ELee wrote:
Looking forward to it! My first (and favorite) Chevalier book was "The Virgin Blue". That story still haunts me to this day and (like a first love) will always be my first association with the author. I also very much enjoyed "Girl with a Pearl Earring" which had a similar haunting resonance. (I saw the movie after reading the book and thought it was well done and an excellent visual addition to the "pictures" I had already created in my head.) While reading "The Lady and the Unicorn", I took color copies of the tapestries and pasted them into my book to have them as a reference. I love Chevalier's little "historical incidentals" that are revealed on these journeys to another time and place, as well as the imaginative "fleshing out" of people/events we may only know by name today.


BN Editor
Amanda_R
Posts: 203
Registered: ‎09-25-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Tracy Chevalier's novels

Thanks for posting, Ziki and Choysia --

Please do come back and post your thoughts on Burning Bright once you've given it a read, and hope to see you in the Book Club when the author joins us!

Amanda

Contributor
seafox5548
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎03-04-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier

Hi! Does anyone know if this is going to be the May book for the Historical Fiction Book Club? It sounds like a really good one! Thanks.
BN Editor
Bill_T
Posts: 366
Registered: ‎03-20-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier

seafox -- Burning Bright will get its own, separate discussion area in May, distinct from the Historical Fiction book club. Tracy will be joining us beginning Monday, April 30.

Starting on April 2, incidentally, we have a great debut novel in the Historical Fiction book club -- Pam Jenoff will join us to talk about The Kommandant's Girl. Should be a great conversation!




seafox5548 wrote:
Hi! Does anyone know if this is going to be the May book for the Historical Fiction Book Club? It sounds like a really good one! Thanks.


Contributor
madstitcher5
Posts: 21
Registered: ‎03-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier

Hello everyone,
This is my first posting. I joined B&N Book Club for another discussion. I've read "Burning Bright" already. I got it the minute I saw it online. It is spellbinding and am looking forward to all the reactions. Really excited Tracy will be joining us.I've read every one of her books. Loved "Lady and the Unicorn". It touched my other passion, needlework,

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
BN Editor
Amanda_R
Posts: 203
Registered: ‎09-25-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier

[ Edited ]
Hi MaryAnn:

Welcome, and thanks for posting! I'll look forward to chatting with you in our Book Club with Tracy C. in May --

Amanda

P.S. Just a note to let everyone know that we now have a great new audio interview with Chevalier -- have a listen!

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 03-29-2007 10:26 AM

Frequent Contributor
lady_hockey
Posts: 108
Registered: ‎04-10-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier

I loved The Lady and the Unicorn, but I couldn't get into The Girl With the Pearl Earing, though I can't tell you what the difference was. I'm curious, which would you say this new one is more like?
~*~Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.~*~
Contributor
madstitcher5
Posts: 21
Registered: ‎03-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier

Hi. *The Girl With Pearl Earring* and *Lady and the Unicorn* were so different from each other. (IMHO). My first Chevalier book was *Pearl*. I loved it so much I bought and read her previous novels and have been hooked ever since. *Lady and the Unicorn* was my favorite, so far. The information about dying and weaving and stitching tapestries was spell binding for me as I'm also a passionate needlepointer.

Tracy's history comes alive with her fictional characters, her city settings are so vivid, one can smell the smell, hear the noise, see the character's clothing. *Burning Bright* lives up to her other novels. The young teenagers are so wise to the world. The circus was a learning experience for me. Mostly, the fascinating William Blake! I think you'll enjoy it.
MaryAnn
Contributor
madstitcher5
Posts: 21
Registered: ‎03-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier

Hi again, I wonder if you didn't like *Girl With Pearl Earring* because Vermeer kept putting the girl in uncomfortable situations. I was uncomfortable and thought he was a letch. I especially thought he was unkind and uncaring to his wife. I was afraid for the girl(can't remeber her name). The book made me nervous, but I still loved it.
MaryAnn
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier



madstitcher5 wrote:
Hi. *The Girl With Pearl Earring* and *Lady and the Unicorn* were so different from each other. (IMHO). My first Chevalier book was *Pearl*. I loved it so much I bought and read her previous novels and have been hooked ever since. *Lady and the Unicorn* was my favorite, so far. The information about dying and weaving and stitching tapestries was spell binding for me as I'm also a passionate needlepointer.

Tracy's history comes alive with her fictional characters, her city settings are so vivid, one can smell the smell, hear the noise, see the character's clothing. *Burning Bright* lives up to her other novels. The young teenagers are so wise to the world. The circus was a learning experience for me. Mostly, the fascinating William Blake! I think you'll enjoy it.





I have read her other two books and can't wait to get started on her brand new one. Oh! The Girl with the Pearl Earring" was awesome. What a history lesson and also vivid family heartaches. I have read "Lady and the Unicorn" but my memory is slack on that book. Will have to go back and skim it over. But Tracy has a marvelous style of writing. Can't wait to get into her newest one.
New User
Poulou
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎08-07-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier

I loved the movie Girl with Golden Earring and am sorry I did not read the book first. Then I read Virgin Blue and loved it and will read as many of Ms. Chevalier's books as I can find. I don't know much about her but love the genre of literature and would like to hear from any one on this message board about similar books. Thanks
Frequent Contributor
LibraryBoom1218
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎09-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier

Hi! I'm fairly new here and i work at a library (obviously) and i love tracy chevalier!! my first book by her was falling angels and i loved it.. i love all of her books.. the way she describes the scenery and the time is so unbelievably! shes definately one of my favorites!
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier



LibraryBoom1218 wrote:
Hi! I'm fairly new here and i work at a library (obviously) and i love tracy chevalier!! my first book by her was falling angels and i loved it.. i love all of her books.. the way she describes the scenery and the time is so unbelievably! shes definately one of my favorites!




I have read all of her books. Love them. Tracy is good!