Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

How Doctors Think by Jerome Groopman

[ Edited ]
A Book for Every Bedside

Book Cover Image: Title: How Doctors Think, Author: Jerome Groopman Buy It From our editors: "All of us -- or at least all of us of a certain age -- have had the experience: We have just begun to enumerate our symptoms to a doctor before he or she interrupts with a question or an instruction. This response is far from uncommon: As physician/author Jerome Groopman notes, the average patient monologue is cut off after just 12 seconds. Despite that abbreviated input, Dr. Groopman urges us not to despair. His book How Doctors Think offers comforting bedside advice about how doctors form diagnoses and what we as patients can do to help them. This book is an apt choice for anyone who ever worried about misdiagnosis of themselves or a loved one."

We've ALL been kept waiting at the doctor's office... only to be shooed out after scant minutes of face time. This fascinating new book helps us to understand why -- and how we can become our own best health advocate. Have you examined this hot new release yet? What's your prognosis?

Amanda

Message Edited by Barbara on 03-16-2007 01:18 PM

Frequent Contributor
Sambutler
0 Kudos

Re: How Doctors Think by Jerome Groopman

This one sounds like a good one to check out -- I've read one or two of his articles. Fascinating to be able to look inside the medical profesion.

However, it'll have to wait for now...I'm reading Atul Gawande's similar book Better and really enjoying it.
Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

I was a bit skeptical about this book........the idea that the MD has formed an opinion within seconds of meeting a patient. However, I was at my local B & N store on Saturday and read the introductory chapter. I will need to work this book into my reading list. The author is very credible. I will be interested to read more on his perspective, as the person who make the diagnosis.

Janet aka homereader, also a nurse
New User
Sarahliz511
0 Kudos

I haven't read this one yet - but I am a HUGE Groopman fan. I recommend his other books in particular, "The Anatomy of Hope". Can't wait to check this one out.