Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

[ Edited ]
A Riveting Novel That's Primetime Picoult

Book Cover Image: Title: Nineteen Minutes, Author: Jodi Picoult Buy It From our editors: "Jodi Picoult refuses to tiptoe around volatile issues. In The Tenth Circle, she knotted a tight narrative around an incident of date rape. Nineteen Minutes recounts a deadly high school shooting rampage, its causes, and its aftermath. In flashbacks, we witness the deepening alienation of teen killer Peter Houghton, a helpless victim who sinks steadily into the execution mode of his combat video games. Standing in literal judgment over this teen killer is Alex Cormier, the judge who presides over his trial. Cormier struggles hard to balance her professional duties with her relationship with her daughter, Josie, a former friend of Houghton's and a survivor of the mass slaying. Torn from the headlines and humanized."

Nineteen Minutes may well be Jodi Picoult's best novel yet. Do you agree? Share your thoughts and reactions to this blockbuster bestseller here. Haven't read it yet? You're in for a treat....

Bonus: Have a listen to our fantastic audio interview with Picoult.

Amanda

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 06-06-2007 11:58 AM

Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

Re: Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

How many times do I say, this is one I have to read? I think I have said it about 4 times in the last 5 minutes. I have not read books by Jodi Picoult. My daughter, a teen is a big fan. I think she might have bought this book this eve, while I was browsing in other areas of the bookstore. I am quite sure she will be finished with it in a few day, and then I can dive in.

Janet aka homereader
New User
ameliamarie77
0 Kudos

homereader wrote:
How many times do I say, this is one I have to read? I think I have said it about 4 times in the last 5 minutes. I have not read books by Jodi Picoult. My daughter, a teen is a big fan. I think she might have bought this book this eve, while I was browsing in other areas of the bookstore. I am quite sure she will be finished with it in a few day, and then I can dive in.

Janet aka homereader

I have purchased this book and can't wait to read it. I have read 6 of Jodi's books so far. The first one I picked up was "My sister's keeper." After that one you need to read "vanishing acts." She will become a favorite author on your list.
BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Hi Amelia, and welcome!

I'm a big fan of Picoult's as well. I've been lucky enough to meet her (a perk of the job!) and am so thrilled for her recent success with this latest book. Once you've given Nineteen Minutes a read, let us know how it stacks up to your other favorites!

Amanda

Frequent Contributor
Sambutler
0 Kudos

I've only read one of Picoult's books -- The Tenth Circle -- and it was quite a good read. She knows how to draw you in to the life and problems of a character. I'll try to make time to check out the new one!

ameliamarie77 wrote:

homereader wrote:

Janet aka homereader

I have purchased this book and can't wait to read it. I have read 6 of Jodi's books so far. The first one I picked up was "My sister's keeper." After that one you need to read "vanishing acts." She will become a favorite author on your list.

Contributor
ROY99
0 Kudos

Wow! I'm learning my way around the Book Club site and I'm so glad I landed here. I just bought Nineteen Minutes after reading an excerpt on line. Can hardly wait now to delve in and hopefully others of you will be reading so we can share thoughts and opinions. My husband rarely reads unless I read to him or the book is on CD and for learning or our bible study group. My 26 year old son and his fiance let me share my reading with them, but it's so much more fun when I can share with someone who is reading also. My other friends listen to me tell about my books, but I haven't found many reading the same books I read. I like a variety of books and in the past month have finished She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb, For One More Day by Mitch Albom, Finding Noel and The Carousel by Richard Paul Evans. I even listened to John Travolta's book, One Way Propeller (we're all pilots in my family and I've always loved John Travolta as an actor anyway). I'm reading The Measure of a Man by Poitier (beginning Section Four)--I'm amazed with all he has endured. I'm also a Stephen King fan and have checked in with that group to see what's coming up as a group read. I have taught students with special needs for 12 years and am taking a break from the classroom--one of the things I love about teaching is helping students develop a love of reading. My kids always came into the classroom hating to read and most of them left enjoying reading. I've gone on too long now--better get to my book. Will check in later. Hope to be hearing from many of you. Ramona from Florida
Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

ROY99 wrote:
Wow! I'm learning my way around the Book Club site and I'm so glad I landed here. I just bought Nineteen Minutes after reading an excerpt on line. Can hardly wait now to delve in and hopefully others of you will be reading so we can share thoughts and opinions. My husband rarely reads unless I read to him or the book is on CD and for learning or our bible study group. My 26 year old son and his fiance let me share my reading with them, but it's so much more fun when I can share with someone who is reading also. My other friends listen to me tell about my books, but I haven't found many reading the same books I read. I like a variety of books and in the past month have finished She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb, For One More Day by Mitch Albom, Finding Noel and The Carousel by Richard Paul Evans. I even listened to John Travolta's book, One Way Propeller (we're all pilots in my family and I've always loved John Travolta as an actor anyway). I'm reading The Measure of a Man by Poitier (beginning Section Four)--I'm amazed with all he has endured... Will check in later. Hope to be hearing from many of you. Ramona from Florida

Hi Ramona from Florida, I am Janet from Florida. I love these Barnes and Noble reading groups, because they put you in contact with other people who have similar reading interests......and you can stop by 24/7 whenever you are online. I may see you around the site. I have read several of the books you mentioned, including "For One More Day" and "Finding Noel." I am on the "wait list" for the CD version of Sidney Poitier's autobiography through my local library. My 17 year old daughter has been urging me to try Jodi Picoult, so I guess it is about time.

Janet
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Hey Amanda; Is this book going to be on Barnes and Noble over the next few months?
I hope so. I havent bought it yet, but will soon. I know it is great just like all of her others. Can't wait to read it. Linda
New User
teeejay
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I have read all of Jodi Picoult's books, including this one. I preordered it - thank you B&N for this feature!! Like all of her books, I couldn't put it down. What I like about her is that she always does her homework - she thoroughly researches the topic, and I always feel like I've learned something from every book. She also develops her characters so that you feel like you know them personally. By the time the book ends, I'm not ready to say goodbye to them! And there's often a little surprise twist.

Nineteen Minutes had all of these. It's a hard subject, but a reality today. I like the way she shows us the impact on everyone involved and that everyone was a victim.

so, can you tell that I liked it??? :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by teeejay on 03-29-200708:55 AM

Toni

avid reader in Hillsborough, NC
New User
klc52379
0 Kudos

this was such a powerful book with a message that might hit home with anyone. it definitely brought back memories of being teased/bullied and wanting to belong.

i work with teens and defintely will encourage all of them to read this book.

without a doubt, one of the best books i have read in awhile.
New User
nbolyard
0 Kudos

I have read only 2 of her books, My Sisters Keeper and The Pact, they both were wonderful in my opinion! I can't wait to read all of her books-she is an amazing author!
Nicole
New User
star74
0 Kudos

ameliamarie77 wrote:

homereader wrote:

Janet aka homereader

hi-- i am going to purchase this one too.. i have read "my sister's keeper", "the pact" and "salem falls". they were all great books and i am looking forward to reading more from her. i recommend all three of these books.
Contributor
ROY99
0 Kudos

Amanda, I'm getting a little confused here--I've posted I think now to two threads about Nineteen Minutes--just started sharing with another reader under Picoult Fans. How can we put the posts from the Picoult Fans thread over to this thread and try to get some conversations going? Maybe we could pick a couple of days each week to try to get together to post our thoughts & maybe have someone throw out some questions. Of course, I'm suggesting this just before I'm going to be gone 17th-23rd of April, but I'm going to try to have access to a computer during that time so I can keep up to date. ROY99
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Another winner by JP

This was an excellent book- exactly what I would expect from this author. Well rounded sympathetic characters. Looking at the "other side" of all issues and not just the popular one. This book was thought provoking plus just plain good reading.
Contributor
ROY99
0 Kudos

Re: Another winner by JP

Thoroughly enjoyed Nineteen Minutes. First Picoult book, but definitely won't be my last. When I got to the last few chapters, I just couldn't put it down--once I thought I had it figured out where she was going, it would change again--loved it. Haven't been posting much here because unless I'm participating in the new releases I don't see any consistency with others posting. I know everyone has busy lives & are reading different books. Probably going to read My Sister's Keeper as my next selection of Picoult. Right now I'm reading The Glass Castle, Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight, Great American Short Stories and Things Fall Apart with some other groups.

Thanks for your input on this book.
New User
Sarahliz511
0 Kudos

I got hooked on Picoult after reading "My sister's keeper" too. Great read.
Frequent Contributor
LaurenKondrat
0 Kudos

I love Picoult's books, but I have to say, this one reminded me of The Pact quite a bit. I think it is because I read the two with not much time between. Still, my favorite is My Sister's Keeper. :smileyhappy:
New User
kimmiem
0 Kudos

I'm new here myself....but anyway I echo the sentiments of most folks here, this is a must read but then again this author is a good one. I too haVe read most of her books and find them to be good.

Loved the 'twist' in this book (If you haven't read it, I'm not revealing it). Like many you think you know how it's gonna end haha, and like many you think you have heard it all after Columbine and the VA Massacre but this takes you one step closer to the inner workings of why those things happen.

Kimmiem.
Contributor
luv2readlots
0 Kudos

i am a new member also but i must say when i read my sisters keeper it had me crying for so long...i have not read Nineteen Minutes yet but now that it sounds so good i will have to pick it up...and i know this is all about jodi picoult but if you haven't read anything from elizabeth berg you must read her books like the book Open House which is really good...and another novel of hers is What We Keep a very sweet novel.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

luv2readlots wrote:
i am a new member also but i must say when i read my sisters keeper it had me crying for so long...i have not read Nineteen Minutes yet but now that it sounds so good i will have to pick it up...and i know this is all about jodi picoult but if you haven't read anything from elizabeth berg you must read her books like the book Open House which is really good...and another novel of hers is What We Keep a very sweet novel.

I have got to get with it too, and read Nineteen Minutes. I have it but there are so many books to read I havent gotten to it.