Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
royaerdman
0 Kudos

Re: Suggested Topics

I read this book titled, Sick Building Syndrome. It was written by James Hewitt, RN. I found it amazing. I work in a Boys School and am often feeling ill by the end of the day. Some of the suggestions in this book fixed my problems. I realized that there are many books written on indoor air quality. This book also deals with the contaminants, noise, lighting, fumes, and much more. I spent $38 for the book. A lot cheaper than all my Doctor co-pays over the last few years. This book is a must read.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: first and second time authors

Arterry wrote:
I think the new author idea is wonderful, Toni. It's SO hard for new authors to gain name recognition. Every little bit of exposure helps.

Have you heard of Kunati Inc, the Toronto publisher? They seek and publish new authors. This spring, they published eight titles. Of them, six were debut authors.

As one of the fortunate six, I had an opportunity to read advance copies and have posted reviews to the B&N online pages and elsewhere. Those interested can go to www.kunati.com for a closer look, but maybe a brief mention of the debut titles is appropriate.

T K Kenyon's "Rabid" is highly controversial (collected a starred review from Booklist). Kenyon takes on pedophilia in the Catholic Church, and out-of-control scientific research in her scorching hot novel.

In "Toonamint of Champions" golf humorist Todd Sentell goes after the Augusta National, home of the "Masters", and believe me by the time he gets done the place is a smoking ruin. I laughed myself silly.

For those of us who're carrying around a few years, Ric Wasley sets his "Shadow of Innocence" in Newport, RI, during the 1968 Jazz Festival.

Derek Armstrong satirizes Reality TV in "The Game", a TV show where the contestants are locked up in an eerie old mansion and the last person standing, wins - until a killer starts slicing up people right and left and it's not in the script.

In "Mothering Mother" an intelligent and touching memoir, Carol O'Dell unleashes a formidible eye for detail and a wonderful sense of humor.

I'm not here to self-promote, so I'll only mention my title in hopes someone will be interested enough to have a peek.

My book is "The Secret Ever Keeps", also from Kunati.

I like your suggestion but my finaces are really tight right now so I have to get suggestions from places like here and then see if my local library will get them or wait until they are annouced to them. But then again a lot of general fiction and authors don't get a lot of publisity here in Utah.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
New User
capn_poot
0 Kudos

I had just read the book The Centurion: The Battle of the Soul War, the debut novel by Sean Patrick Little. I have to say, I don't often lose myself in a fantasy novel, but I was absolutely blown away by this book. Its only been out about one month and I have been telling everyone I know about it. I have gotten some people to check it out, but I want to know if anyone else has found this diamond in the rough, if you will. I wish B&N would feature this sometime. This new author is well-deserving of some attention. For a brief synopsis of it, check out www.seanpatricklittle.com. I want to be able to discuss this very badly. Thank you.
B&N Bookseller
charlottesweb93
0 Kudos

I think the Society of S by Susan Hubbard is going to be a huge hit. I would love to discuss the book with anyone else who has read it.
Charlotte
New User
Book-lover
0 Kudos

I just finished a great book, A Long Way Gone, by Ishmael Beah. This is a memoir of his childhood in Sierra Leone. This is an amazing story.
SLD
Contributor
SLD
0 Kudos

Journey Thru the Sixties

If you have an interest in the Sixties--the Space race during that decade, the counter-culture of Haight-Ashbury, the war in Vietnam, Woodstock, and the cockpit experience of combat flying--you may enjoy "Three Journeys". by Davis Stuart. Although it's categorized as historical fiction, there is an obvious dosage of real experiences from those times/events. The reader follows three primary subjects in diverse paths as they weave their way through the turbulence.
Although a little technical at times, it's an excellent read. It would be interesting to hear other reader's reactions.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Amanda_R wrote:
If you know of an author, book, or currently hot subject that you think should be the subject of a thread of its own, let us know by posting a reply here!

Amanda

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 03-16-200704:17 PM

Elizabeth Berg has a brand new book out! She is one of my favorite authors and I believe she is popular with alot of women especially. The name of her new book is "Dream when you're feeling blue" I have read all of her books that are really great women's literature. The Art of Mending and We all are welcome here were the greatest of her novels in my opinion.
jed
Contributor
jed
0 Kudos

Fieldwork, a first novel by Mischa Berlinski, works on so many different levels. Well worth discussing.
jed
Contributor
jed
0 Kudos

I read Jeanette Wells book as well. I agree it is a book that is poignant and sad, however,it is also a remarkably hopeful book about the strength of the human spirit and the willingness to forgive. This young woman and her siblings suceeded in spite of the dysfunction of their parents. The fact that she continued to want to connect with them is, I think, more a reflection of her painfully gained but obviously deeply ingrained sense of empathy than it is of desperation.
New User
Rochesterman
0 Kudos

How about "The Book of Fate" by Brad Meltzer? I am currently reading this book and I really am enjoying it. Has anyone else read it or is currently reading it?
New User
Breadjam65
0 Kudos

The Barnes & Noble Guide To New Fiction gave Joseph Flynn's novel, "The Next President", a 5 out of 5 rating, as well as the "Eye" icon, indicating the addictive quality of the book: "Readers raved about this book by the author of the page-turner, Digger"
Two new just released novels by critically acclaimed author Joseph Flynn, about whom the Chicago Tribune said: "Flynn is a master of high-octane plotting"

-"Gasoline, Texas" Paperback: 270 pages,(June 20, 2007), distributed by Baker & Taylor ISBN-10: 0976417065 ISBN-13: 978-0976417064

-"Farewell Performance"Paperback: 236 pages,(June 14, 2007), distributed by Baker & Taylor ISBN-10: 0976417030 ISBN-13: 978-0976417033

Readers will love these books and make them a popular book club addition
Frequent Contributor
kerrylee
0 Kudos

Amanda_R wrote:
If you know of an author, book, or currently hot subject that you think should be the subject of a thread of its own, let us know by posting a reply here!

Amanda

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 06-06-2007 11:58 AM

I just started reading A Mighty Heart-The Brave Life and Death of my Husband, Danny Pearl, by Marianne Pearl. She is the wife of the Wall Street Journalist who was kidnapped and murdered in Pakistan in 2002. She spent weeks alone waiting to find out the fate of her husband, and was pregnant at the time. It is a beaytifully written book, and I think it would be well worth a discussion. A movie also just came out based on the book, with Angelina Jolie as Marianne. I have no intentions of seeing the movie(the book is so good I just can't see the need). I was wondering if anyone else has read this and thinks it's worthy of a discussion.

Take care.
kerkat
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

kerrylee wrote:

Amanda_R wrote:

Amanda

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 06-06-2007 11:58 AM

I just started reading A Mighty Heart-The Brave Life and Death of my Husband, Danny Pearl, by Marianne Pearl. She is the wife of the Wall Street Journalist who was kidnapped and murdered in Pakistan in 2002. She spent weeks alone waiting to find out the fate of her husband, and was pregnant at the time. It is a beaytifully written book, and I think it would be well worth a discussion. A movie also just came out based on the book, with Angelina Jolie as Marianne. I have no intentions of seeing the movie(the book is so good I just can't see the need). I was wondering if anyone else has read this and thinks it's worthy of a discussion.

Take care.

yes, I remember the whole thing. It was so sad. I havent't read the book yet, but I know its really good from converstations with friends.
Contributor
FictionKing
0 Kudos

Mark Walliser's: "East of Paradise, West of Ego".

"The story unveils as Jake, the main character, experiences the world for the first time in his adult life soberly. As an addict entering rehab, the raw emotions and relationships he engages in are initially turbulent. Slowly, we see Jake come out of his philosophical shell, only to meet the apathetic world. Overcoming mistakes and obstacles from his past, as well as newly arising ones, are a daily challenge for Jake. He experiences, in many respects, what we all experience--the joys and sorrows of life, only magnified to the utmost intensity. For Jake, it is through the lens of a struggling twenty-one-year-old heroin addict, whose hatred of the world is calmed through the temperament of other compassionate characters and a serene beachside setting. His struggles as an addict become our struggles as readers, as his powerfully illuminated character reveals the light into a shadowy world."

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9781424176533&itm=1
Mark Walliser ~Author of "East of Paradise, West of Ego"
New User
Shannon_Byrnes
0 Kudos

I just read "Sin in the Second City" by Karen Abbott. I think it's her first book (if we want to focus on new authors). It's a fascinating true story of the Everleigh Club, the most famous brothel in American history, which entertained Theodore Dreiser, Edgar Lee Masters, the boxer Jack Johnson, and even a European prince. The sisters were brilliant businesswomen and wanted to "elevate" the industry of prostitution. Everyone from rival madams to religious zealots tried to stop them. The "white slavery" scare during this time lead to the formation of the FBI... a lot of the political debate in the book mirrors what's going on in the news today. Great nonfiction that reads like fiction, in the spirit of The Devil in the White City.
Reader 2
NYCpoeta
0 Kudos

Up-and-Coming Poet, Hollace M. Metzger, should be listed on B&N...

I recently read about an up-and-coming self-published poet-architect-photographer, Hollace M. Metzger, via MagazineBLU.com, ordered her book and read it 3 times over, completely enamored. I was wondering what the best way would be to spread the word about her and to get her book onto B&N listings as I do believe she has cracked the surface through latent creativity.

Just a fan who believes in honest and addictive poetry. She's amazing, really.

Please let me know how I could possibly get her poems into the mainstream and share my discovery with the rest.

Read about her here: http://www.myspace.com/architectonica
Other than this, I couldn't find much more information through Google.

Thank You,
An Adoring Fan & Poet
Reader 2
NYCpoeta
0 Kudos

Re: Up-and-Coming Poet, Hollace M. Metzger, should be listed on B&N...

Also, I forgot to mention her book title "Observing the Labyrinth from Heaven" and that it is available (in print and download) here until she gets into more public venues: http://www.lulu.com/content/866488

Thanks much!
New User
sewcute
0 Kudos

Has anyone else read the novels by Richard Montanari? His new book is MERCILESS and it is very good. His other books are Rosary Girls, Skin Gods, Violet Hour; I believe there are three others. They are real page-turners!
New User
chase2324
0 Kudos

Amanda,

Tom Pace has a new book out that is based on his life but in a entertaining story form. The book is getting lots of good replies on it. You can check it out at www.mentorhope.com. I really think mentor is a buzz word right now and is a very needed practice in our world today. I really hope this book gets big.
New User
AshAngel1125
0 Kudos

I recently read an amazing fiction novel by two new authors, call Aven. I don't believe it is available to buy in book stores yet, it's still POD since it is so new. But you can purchase it on Amazon.com. I heard about this novel from a friend who loved the story and gave me his copy to read and I have since bought my own just to have because I loved it so much. The novel takes place in the time before the building of the great pyramids, the civilization before the Egyptians. This epic novel about the world’s past and future is a culmination of nearly a quarter-century of research and shared ideas in the fields of history, theology, and modern science. It is a fascinating and revealing tale, which offers new insights into the mysteries of the pyramids and biblical and global history. Readers may never look at the world the same way again. It's Da Vinci Code meets Star Wars! I think you can purchase the book on Amazon.com, but I bought mine from their website www.Avenepic.com. This book deserves some recognition right out the gate!!!