Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

The Children of Húrin by J.R.R. Tolkien

[ Edited ]
A Return to Middle Earth

Book Cover Image: Title: The Children of Hurin, Author: J.R.R. Tolkien Buy It The first complete book by J.R.R. Tolkien in three decades -- since the publication of The Silmarillion in 1977 -- The Children of Húrin reunites fans of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings with Elves and Men, dragons and Dwarves, Eagles and Orcs. Presented for the first time as a complete, standalone story, this stirring narrative will appeal to casual fans and Tolkien experts alike.

Tolkien readers -- let us know your take! Any predictions, reactions, or early reviews? Share them here!

Amanda

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 06-06-2007 11:57 AM

New User
ashrael
0 Kudos

Re: The Children of Húrin by J.R.R. Tolkien

How much of the content of this book was previously published, and in what books? Was it in Tolkien's "Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-Earth"?
New User
emmarosecotton
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
You misspelled Sauron in the Barnes and Noble ad. What! No proofreaders?

The saga in this new book was in "Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle Earth." It's quite good but, as in most of the "Silmarillion" and other tales of the first and second ages, it is quite dark. It is, as well, worth reading.

Message Edited by emmarosecotton on 04-17-200711:09 AM

BN Editor
LitEditor
0 Kudos

Yes, it looks like a typo crept into that email. You know your fallen Maiar well, emmarosecotton!

emmarosecotton wrote:
You misspelled Sauron in the Barnes and Noble ad.

See the latest news about book clubs in the Book Clubs Blog.
New User
emmarosecotton
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I don't think the spelling of Sauron is obscure and the maiar are not a mystery to most Tolkien fans.

Message Edited by emmarosecotton on 04-17-200711:12 AM

New User
Aredhel
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ashrael wrote:
How much of the content of this book was previously published, and in what books? Was it in Tolkien's "Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-Earth"?

If i'm correct, most of this story has also been told in the Unfinished Tales, The Lost Tales 2 and The Lays of Beleriand. But what is great about The Children of Hurin, is it will be a complete story and won't have any commentary or extra notes to interrupt. I've heard that this book is going to have more on how Hurin was imprisoned and what happened after Turin and Nienor's death and Hurin's release. The illustrations and new map by Alan Lee will also be really helpful. i'm very excited to read it!

Message Edited by Aredhel on 04-17-200709:24 AM

BN Editor
LitEditor
0 Kudos

It's an interesting question, ashrael -- clearly, some of this is a revisiting of narrative that's been in The Silmarillion (a little) and Unfinished Tales (somewhat more).

The book was "embargoed" until release, so I haven't yet laid my eyes on a physical copy of the book. However, Christopher Tolkein has a detailed answer on his website -- I think I'm better letting him explain:

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/Children-of-Hurin-FAQ.htm

Certainly the part I remember from Unfinished Tales is very compelling -- hopefully this more complete version will be even more so.

ashrael wrote:

BN Editor
LitEditor
0 Kudos

I don't think the spelling of Sauron is obscure

Nor did I mean to imply that it is. Merely that -- as sometimes, inevitably happens with names of all kinds -- the misspelling in question was a typographical error in the email.

emmarosecotton wrote:
I don't think the spelling of Sauron is obscure and the maiar are not a mystery to most Tolkien fans.

Message Edited by emmarosecotton on 04-17-200711:12 AM

New User
emmarosecotton
0 Kudos

This is an actual quote of Christopher Tolkien's from an article by Adam Tolkien regarding his father's work editing the material for 'The Children of Hurin.' The link cited is interesting but not FAQs from Christopher Tolkien and appear to be unsigned. Probably an employee of the publisher.

So from Christopher Tolkien:

"It is undeniable that there are a very great many readers of The Lord of the Rings for whom the legends of the Elder Days (as previously published in varying forms in The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and The History of Middle-earth) are altogether unknown, unless by their repute as strange and inaccessible in mode and manner. For this reason it has seemed to me for a long time that there was a good case for presenting my father's long version of the legend of the Children of Húrin as an independent work, between its own covers, with a minimum of editorial presence, and above all in continuous narrative without gaps or interruptions, if this could be done without distortion or invention, despite the unfinished state in which he left some parts of it.

"When my father was a young man, during the years of the First World War and long before there was any inkling of the tales that were to form the narrative of The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings, he began the writing of a collection of stories that he called The Book of Lost Tales. That was his first work of imaginative literature, and a substantial one, for though it was left unfinished there are 14 completed tales. Among the Lost Tales three were of much greater length, and all three are concerned with Men as well as Elves: the stories of Beren and Lúthien, the Children of Húrin, and The Fall of Gondolin. In 1951, three years before the publication of The Fellowship of the Ring, he told of his early intention: 'I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched.'

"It thus seems unquestionable, from my father's own words, that if he could achieve final and finished narratives on the scale he desired, he saw the three 'Great Tales' as works sufficiently complete in themselves as not to demand knowledge of the great body of legend known as The Silmarillion."
New User
EagerBeaver
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Would this book be interesting for an 11 year old? He has enjoyed the Hobbit. But has not read any of the other stories, nor seen the Lord of the Ring movies.

Message Edited by EagerBeaver on 04-28-200712:54 PM

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Sorry I'm so late in answering this. From what I have read, this book is darker than the Ring books. I think it would be better for a child to read The Lord of the Rings first.

EagerBeaver wrote:
Would this book be interesting for an 11 year old? He has enjoyed the Hobbit. But has not read any of the other stories, nor seen the Lord of the Ring movies.

Message Edited by EagerBeaver on 04-28-200712:54 PM

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton