Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

The Good Husband of Zebra Drive by Alexander McCall Smith

[ Edited ]
Mma Ramotswe Returns!

Book Cover Image: Title: The Good Husband of Zebra Drive, Author: Alexander McCall Smith Buy It From our editors: "The eighth installment of Alexander McCall Smith's beloved No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency saga is marked with existential upheaval: Automobile repair shop owner Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni -- husband of Botswana's leading, and only, female private detective, Precious Ramotswe -- unexpectedly approaches his wife with the ill-conceived idea of becoming a part-time investigator; one of Matekoni's bumbling apprentices quits; and Ramotswe's longtime assistant, Grace Makutsi, suddenly resigns.

"Part of the widespread appeal of this series lies in the tidbits of quiet wisdom sprinkled throughout each delightfully meandering narrative. The Good Husband of Zebra Drive, for example, explores the importance of not only trust and mercy but also tolerance. Ramotswe's musings are as insightful as they are understated: "It's interesting how we can look at things and think we see something, when it really isn't there at all." Entertaining and enlightening, Smith's beloved No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency saga is simply precious."

Share your thoughts and reactions to Alexander McCall Smith's latest bestseller here. Haven't read it yet? You're in for a treat!

Bonus: Have a listen to our fantastic audio interview with Smith.

Amanda

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 06-06-2007 11:55 AM

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: The Good Husband of Zebra Drive by Alexander McCall Smith

I haven't read this volume yet, but i got it for me mother for Mother's Day. (Please don't tell.) I love the series, especially in audio. The mind and heart of Precious Ramotswe work together wonderfully.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

I have read some of Alexander McCall Smith's book, I read the first one. The detective agency. That was funny and very good. This was sounds good also. Might just have to pick it up!
mya
New User
mya
0 Kudos

I hope that Alexander McCall Smith keeps adding to this series because they are so delightful to read. I wish there were more books like them.
Contributor
seattle1
0 Kudos

I have read the all of the other books before this one. They are all fun. I just finished In the Company of Cheerful Ladies - how fun about Mma Makutsi.

Yes, I have trouble thinking of Mr. Matekoni as a detective, it will be entertaining.

Has there been any thought of making a movie/movies out of this series? The characters are delightful.
Contributor
seattle1
0 Kudos

I recently heard on National Public Radio - the same day Arthur C Clarke died, that the director of The English Patient also died at age 54 of a brain hemorrage (sorry I don't remember his name) and this same director had also directed The Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency for British Television.  I hope it is aired in the U.S. some time.