BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon

[ Edited ]
Chabon's Quirky, Acclaimed New Read

Book Cover Image: Title: The Yiddish Policemen's Union, Author: Michael Chabon Buy It From our Editors: "The starting premise of Michael Chabon's novel rests on a single historical factoid: On the eve of World War II, President Franklin D. Roosevelt suggested that European Jewish refugees be resettled in the Alaskan territory. From this tiny nugget, the Pulitzer Prize–winning novelist constructs a richly hued noir alternate history/mystery fable, complete with Yiddish jargon and gangster argot."

Tell us your thoughts on Michael Chabon's latest bestseller here!

Amanda

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 06-06-2007 11:00 AM

New User
bookhappy
0 Kudos

Re: The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon

i'm actually in the middle of reading chabon's amazing adventures of kavalier and clay. and i'm loving it. picked up policeman's union, will read next.
New User
Friday13
0 Kudos

Loved it. Loved Kavalier and Clay, also. Chabon is one of the few authors I read with a dictionary close at hand! I felt I was getting a lesson in Jewish culture along with a ripping good yarn, and I always appreciate learning something new while also being entertained.
Contributor
jmanrique
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Would reading the previous work aid in understanding Policemen's Union? Honestly, I am having a tough time getting through the book. Landsman's abrupt changes between present and past have not allowed me to get settled into the story. I also feel like there is assumed knowledge of Sitka which I should possess that I don't which is leaving a big hole in my mind regarding the setting and context in which the story is playing out.

Message Edited by jmanrique on 09-07-2007 10:40 AM
Ocean Raton, a novel by John Manrique
now available on bn.com
for more: www.OceanRaton.com