BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Welcome -- and a Few Words about this Conversation

[ Edited ]
Greetings, fellow book lovers, and welcome to our discussion space for New Releases and Hot Topics! Here's where we can talk about the latest new releases, hottest titles, big bestsellers, and book club favorites.

Join the conversation in one of the threads below -- you'll see new books and authors added as new titles are announced; if one of the authors is scheduled to join us for an upcoming book club appearance, you'll hear all about it there as well.

If the volume of posts about any book or author warrants it, we'll open a dedicated area for a more wide-ranging conversation about the title. And if you know of an author or new book that you think should have a thread here, but doesn't, be sure to add your thoughts to our Suggested Topics thread.

Whether you've read the books on the board and want to rave and recommend, or you're interested in learning more about the books of the moment, we hope you'll join us here!

Amanda

A Note about this Conversation: As this space is going to be full of activity, with new posts announcing a rotating roster of books, we've decided to keep things streamlined -- so in this board, so we've set things up to allow posters to "Reply" to each book's individual thread, rather than having everyone post new threads. For a more wide-ranging conversation, visit the Community Room.

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 06-06-2007 11:59 AM

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome -- and a Few Words about this Conversation

I like having this discussion open because I read alot. I don't like what is on Televisision. So even if it is on it is just noise and my nose is in a book and I am always looking for something new.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Hi, Toni, and Welcome!

Sounds like you're quite the book lover. Any plans to read one (or more) of the New Releases we've got listed here? What looks good to you?

Amanda

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I porably will since I'm always looking. It just depends on if my library is going to have it since I can't afford to buy books right now.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:
I porably will since I'm always looking. It just depends on if my library is going to have it since I can't afford to buy books right now.

Toni

Hi Toni,

I have also taken to reading many, many library books, because I would be broke, if I tried to buy everything I want to read.

I live in Orlando, Fl and our library is very good about getting multiple copies of new releases. There are labels on the new releases indicating that they are "lease books." I am not quite sure what that is all about, but it works for me.

When I lived up north, our local library had very limited funds. At the time, my husband was the reader in the family. He would buy a new release at BJ's or Costco, read it, then donate it to the library, because he knew the book would get on the shelf faster that way.

To keep down my costs, I buy a lot of books when they come out in the trade paperback editions. That means waiting.........but at least the price is more affordable and I like the size and format.

In answer to Amanda's question about whether any titles were striking, I was immediately drawn to the new Maeve Binchey novel.
I will sign up for the book club in April for that book. I was surprised by how many books caught my attention. The others will have to wait a bit.

Janet aka homereader
Frequent Contributor
kerrylee
0 Kudos

Amanda_R wrote:
Greetings, fellow book lovers, and welcome to our discussion space for New Releases and Hot Topics! Here's where we can talk about the latest new releases, hottest titles, big bestsellers, and book club favorites.

Join the conversation in one of the threads below -- you'll see new books and authors added as new titles are announced; if one of the authors is scheduled to join us for an upcoming book club appearance, you'll hear all about it there as well.

If the volume of posts about any book or author warrants it, we'll open a dedicated area for a more wide-ranging conversation about the title. And if you know of an author or new book that you think should have a thread here, but doesn't, be sure to add your thoughts to our Suggested Topics thread.

Whether you've read the books on the board and want to rave and recommend, or you're interested in learning more about the books of the moment, we hope you'll join us here!

Amanda

A Note about this Conversation: As this space is going to be full of activity, with new posts announcing a rotating roster of books, we've decided to keep things streamlined -- so in this board, so we've set things up to allow posters to "Reply" to each book's individual thread, rather than having everyone post new threads. For a more wide-ranging conversation, visit the Community Room.

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 06-06-2007 11:59 AM

Hello, Amanda R.,
I have a few questions. Are there any sci-fi threads or books being discussed that are not romance related? I noticed a paranormal section, but what I'm lookin fir are people who are seriously into sci-fi (Like Art Bell, George Nouri, etc.)If anyone is interested in this, please reply? Is this o.k. to do this like this?

Thank you.
Take care. Happy reading!
kerkat
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

KerryLee,

In the General Fiction discussion we tried to get a Sci-Fi discussion going but all anyone wanted to list their favorite authors. I would love it if they would pick more books that were author led or like they did in the past and picked a book that was moderator led.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Contributor
FictionKing
0 Kudos

East of Paradise, West of Ego

[ Edited ]
Greetings fellow book readers! As this discussion board is for new releases, I would like to add my own personal release that has just been listed this week. The title is "East of Paradise, West of ego". The back cover synopsis is listed below, I will also donate half of all proceeds to treatment centers that are in dire need for financial aid:

"The story unveils as Jake, the main character, experiences the world for the first time in his adult life soberly. As an addict entering rehab, the raw emotions and relationships he engages in are initially turbulent. Slowly, we see Jake come out of his philosophical shell, only to meet the apathetic world. Overcoming mistakes and obstacles from his past, as well as newly arising ones, are a daily challenge for Jake. He experiences, in many respects, what we all experience--the joys and sorrows of life, only magnified to the utmost intensity. For Jake, it is through the lens of a struggling twenty-one-year-old heroin addict, whose hatred of the world is calmed through the temperament of other compassionate characters and a serene beachside setting. His struggles as an addict become our struggles as readers, as his powerfully illuminated character reveals the light into a shadowy world."

Thus far I have 8 book signings scheduled starting in August, and hope to continue promoting til probably the holidays. I would love to start a review through this thread so I can get feedback and have a fun time discussing it. It's available currently, and if you would like me to sign a copyk just email me and I will accommodate as qickly.

Thanks a lot,
I look foward to buying, reading, and reviewing your books as well
Mark Walliser

Message Edited by FictionKing on 06-24-2007 06:58 AM
Mark Walliser ~Author of "East of Paradise, West of Ego"
Contributor
FictionKing
0 Kudos

Re: East of Paradise, West of Ego

Sorry about the few typos in my previous posting...I wrote it quickly and didn't grammar or spell check! Shame on me as an author :smileyhappy:.
Mark Walliser ~Author of "East of Paradise, West of Ego"
Frequent Contributor
LPScott62
0 Kudos

Re: More Science and Nature listings - OK?

Hey Guys and Gals!!
How about adding some more Science and Nature books -
I've not seen any new "Coming soon" listing of such -
Please !
Leland
"If we have curiosity about life and the cosmos, boredom is never a threat."
New User
Tinkgirl
0 Kudos

A friend recommended a new release called SHACKLED by L.C. Hayes.  It's the first book that I've read where I could actually feel the cold and smell the smells!  I stayed up till 3:00am because I couldn't stop reading.  I felt like I had a look into the past and had a view of Slavery from a different point of view.  The relationship between the poor mountain girl and the free man of color were so moving. This is a wonderful piece of Historical Fiction.  A great find!