Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Whitethorn Woods by Maeve Binchy

[ Edited ]
Binchy's Back! Her Latest Sage Novel

Book Cover Image: Title: Whitethorn Woods, Author: Maeve Binchy Buy It From our editors: "The tiny hamlet of Rossmore seems to be a village that progress passed by. But that changes when a new highway project threatens to destroy St. Ann's Well, a religious shrine and the Irish town's only tourist attraction. Maeve Binchy's sage Whitehorn Woods captures the first-person stories of townspeople grappling with their own problems as well as this moment of civic transition. As always, Binchy's realistically etched portraits seem perfectly tailored for a wide reading audience; different readers will identify with different characters."

Amanda

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 06-22-2007 03:38 PM

Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

Re: Whitethorn Woods by Maeve Binchy

I am looking forward to joining this B&N reading group. It has been awhile since I have read a Maeve Binchey book. Tnis one looks pretty irresistable to me. I love the concept of "progress" coming to this small town in Ireland. Although, I am not of Irish descent, I am married to a man who is Irish, and I am sometimes quite mystified by his reactions. (I have been married to my dear husband for 23 years !). When in doubt, I consult a friend who is Irish, who seems to understand how he thinks. So, I am looking forward to reading about what is going on in the minds of the local people. I have also travelled to Ireland a couple of times, so I have a sense of how remote some of the villages are. It is a very intriguing story line. The clincher for me, is that the reading group will have author participation. That is an all time treat to learn what the author was thinking or where she was coming from in developing the novel.

Look forward to making some new friends in April.

Janet aka homereader
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Amanda,
I purchased this new novel of Maeve Binchy's, last week. But I haven't started to read it just yet....I want to look at it, and hold it for a while....I've read everything she's written, and I always look forward to a new adventure with her wonderful characters.

But I can't start reading about them right away, because once I start, I never want them to end! It's kind of like a Christmas present....you look forward to opening it, but once you do, there goes the anticipation!

Maeve Binchy is wonderful, what more can I say!
BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Hi Kathy S. -- nice to "meet" you, and thanks for your post!

I know exactly what you mean about holding off on reading that fresh new hardcover because you just want to *savor* it -- but don't hold off for too long, so you can join our April discussion with the author! I'll look forward to seeing you there...

Amanda

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

KathyS,
I thought you might be a Maeve Binchy fan, given some of the other books we have and read discussed together. Me too! I'll see you in the discussion. I plan to start the book tonight.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
KathyS
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:
KathyS,
I thought you might be a Maeve Binchy fan, given some of the other books we have and read discussed together. Me too! I'll see you in the discussion. I plan to start the book tonight.

Hi Laura,
How is the book coming, so far? Enjoying it? I'm going to start reading it this weekend. I hope to give it some serious thought, and see what happens. I'm wondering where the discussion is going to take place, and who's moderating...any ideas?
Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

I am one third into the book and enjoying it immensely. I find in Maeve Binchy's work the same attention to detail and "window" into the characters lives that I have experienced with Rosamunde Pilcher, a favorite author that I read voraciously quite a few years ago. It's funny, really, that I should be so attracted to the lives of the characters presented by these two authors, considering the "continental" differences (me being from the US). Or maybe this is a testiment to the proficiency of their writing; that I from another continent and culture would feel so "at home" with the characters despite any social, cultural differences. I view these books as "old friends" and reread them from time to time with no diminishment of enjoyment or feeling.
KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ELee wrote:
I am one third into the book and enjoying it immensely. I find in Maeve Binchy's work the same attention to detail and "window" into the characters lives that I have experienced with Rosamunde Pilcher, a favorite author that I read voraciously quite a few years ago. It's funny, really, that I should be so attracted to the lives of the characters presented by these two authors, considering the "continental" differences (me being from the US). Or maybe this is a testiment to the proficiency of their writing; that I from another continent and culture would feel so "at home" with the characters despite any social, cultural differences. I view these books as "old friends" and reread them from time to time with no diminishment of enjoyment or feeling.

I want to say, I feel the same way. I don't think it has to do with which continent you reside; it has to do with how people can touch one to another. I've read every one of Rosemunde Pilcher's writings, also, and it's simply the connection that we find and want to identify - with each of these souls that come to us. These authors show more than a study in character, they give their characters warmth - a gentleness, and a depth that endears them as friends to us.

Message Edited by KathyS on 03-24-200707:51 PM

Frequent Contributor
johanna49
0 Kudos

I have my copy pf Whitethorn Woods also. I will start to read it after I finished
Same Sweet Girls. I am also looking to the April Book Club with Whitethorn Words.
Maeve Binchy is a wonderful storyteller.
BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Hi Johanna:

Thanks for posting -- and glad to hear you'll be joining the Whitethorn Woods Book Club in April! I'll look forward to seeing you there --

Amanda

Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

johanna49 wrote:
I have my copy pf Whitethorn Woods also. I will start to read it after I finished
Same Sweet Girls. I am also looking to the April Book Club with Whitethorn Words.
Maeve Binchy is a wonderful storyteller.

Hi Johanna,

I recognize your name from the "Family Tree" book group. I am also looking forward to joining the "Whitehorn Woods" book group in April.

I picked up my copy of the book Friday eve and read the first 8 chapters today. So far I like it. I am looking forward to seeing how all of these characters tie in together.

It has been awhile since I have read a Maeve Binchey book. I really enjoy hearing from the author about the novel she has created.

I am not a terribly creative person, so it is very intriguing to me to learn how someone else thinks while creating a work of fiction.

See you in both places.....

Janet aka homereader
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Hi Laura,
How is the book coming, so far? Enjoying it? I'm going to start reading it this weekend. I hope to give it some serious thought, and see what happens. I'm wondering where the discussion is going to take place, and who's moderating...any ideas?

I am over one third through the book and I am completely enjoying it. I don't know how Maeve thinks up these characters and their stories! I am looking forward to our discussion next week. No ideas on moderator. Hi to everyone else who said they would be part of the discussion too!
Laura

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote: I am looking forward to our discussion next week. No ideas on moderator. Hi to everyone else who said they would be part of the discussion too!

Hi everyone:

I just wanted to let you know that I'll be moderating our Whitethorn Woods Book Club, and look forward to seeing you there when the group begins on April 2!

Amanda

Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

I read Whitethorn Woods this weekend. It's the first of Maeve Binchy's books that I've ever read, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. The individual overlapping chapters was a different and interesting point of view, and I'm looking forward to discussing this book next week!
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
johanna49
0 Kudos

Yes, Janet, I also recognized your name from Family Tree. It is good that the both of us will be joining the Whitethorn Woods book club. I bought this book first then, discovered it would be also a Barnes and Noble book club selection.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Oh! yes! One of the greatest authors I have ever read. I discovered Maeve Binchy about the same time I discovered Rosamund Pitcher from Scotland. And the two places I would love to visit are Ireland and Scotland, and I would hope to meet them if my dream ever came true! I have read all of Maeve's and Rosamund's books and short stories. Great, great reading!
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:
I read Whitethorn Woods this weekend. It's the first of Maeve Binchy's books that I've ever read, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

In my opinion, if you like one Mave Binchy book, you will like them all. Tara Road is my favorite. I own all of her books except one, but I still have five to read.
Laura

Reader 2
julz51
0 Kudos

Whitethorn Woods by Maeve Binchy

I am a third through Whitethorn Woods and loving it. It is the first Maeve Binchy book I have read and I will definitely be adding some more to my TBR pile. I have had Quentins for a few years but haven't got around to reading it yet.

I particularly like the two-sided style Maeve uses in this book, I always love to hear both sides of a story and this style gives us an insight into two characters who are close in one way or another. Are any of her other books written similarly?

I am also looking forward to the discussion starting next week and hope to meet a few of you there. Will be great to have Maeve along to share her thoughts.

Julie
Frequent Contributor
johanna49
0 Kudos

I am looking forward to Maeve Binchy being with us next week. I am ready to read
Whitethorn Words.
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

julz51 wrote:
I am a third through Whitethorn Woods and loving it. It is the first Maeve Binchy book I have read and I will definitely be adding some more to my TBR pile. I have had Quentins for a few years but haven't got around to reading it yet.

I particularly like the two-sided style Maeve uses in this book, I always love to hear both sides of a story and this style gives us an insight into two characters who are close in one way or another. Are any of her other books written similarly?

I am also looking forward to the discussion starting next week and hope to meet a few of you there. Will be great to have Maeve along to share her thoughts.

Julie

Hi Everyone----I am also reading Maeve Binchy's Whitethorn Woods and loving it. Julz51 ---You mention how you like this style giving insight into other sides of the story. Then you and others may like an older title of Maeve Binchy's called The Copper Beech. Each chapter is a different character's take on the same time period. When you finish the book, you want to reread it with your new knowledge of each character. It is fascinating.
Librarian