Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Beginning Chapters

This thread is suitable for those who have read through page 89. (Just before the section titled: The Day After.)  Please be mindful of spoilers for events that occur in later sections.

What do you make of the relationship between Alex and Josie?  Is Josie being fair to Alex?  And vice versa?
Stephanie
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Beginning Chapters

Stephanie wrote:
This thread is suitable for those who have read through page 89. (Just before the section titled: The Day After.)  Please be mindful of spoilers for events that occur in later sections.

What do you make of the relationship between Alex and Josie?  Is Josie being fair to Alex?  And vice versa?

I feel a tenseness surrounding them. And Josie going through the teen thing, maybe she just is in a phase.
It also seems Alex is alittle over protective of her even in the start of the book. I think too, its amazing, Alex being a judge still maintains dominance over her daughter in all things. She definitely comes first. Josie is the number one in Alex's life you can tell from the start.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

I feel a tenseness surrounding them. And Josie going through the teen thing, maybe she just is in a phase.
It also seems Alex is alittle over protective of her even in the start of the book. I think too, its amazing, Alex being a judge still maintains dominance over her daughter in all things. She definitely comes first. Josie is the number one in Alex's life you can tell from the start.

It sounds like she is a loving mother who has worked hard to get where she is. Although Alex and Josie may be doing well financially there seems to be a distance between them. That happens often with teenagers who are trying to find their way in the world but Josie seems to be a very unhappy girl. If she is good at hiding it and her mother is a busy career woman she may not notice there is a problem. I'm curious to see how deep the problem goes.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

I thought Alex and Josie have a strange relationship - the thoughts going through Josie's head at the beginning of the novel were raising red flags for me... I was wondering where all that resentment was coming from.

Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 51 members 936 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: