Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Causes of School Violence

Here is a question posed by the book, that I have to think about, so wondering what you think. "What do you think the author is proposing as the root of the problem of school violence?" What do you think is the cause.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Causes of School Violence

vivico1 wrote:
Here is a question posed by the book, that I have to think about, so wondering what you think. "What do you think the author is proposing as the root of the problem of school violence?" What do you think is the cause.

The root word here is ( b u l l y )  But many wiords go with it to make it in my opinion the reason for school violence. If you have never been bullied then you do not know the pain or the aggravation of this scene.
It takes your spirit away, completely, your soul is broken. As a teenager especially, all answers are in the hands of other teenagers. If they dont like your clothes or what you are doing, then you lose soul. You feel like a monster on the inside and out. You are so volunable to ridicule at this delicate age. That others of your peers can make it like a living nightmare. And for Peter, I could hear his pain, see his shoulders limp and his eyes burdened with hurt and then with spite and hatred.  The main word here is help for the bully. Understand the bully. Maybe he doesn't have a clue how to get out of this situation.  School officials need to be aware of this horrid thing being bullied, and always watch the halls, classrooms,buses and so forth for this affect. Do you know, they use to turn and walk the other way. Children who bully need to be disciplined as severely as fighting.  This should be as "no no' as fighting,stealing,corruption in school. or any kind crime known as severe to school officials. Neglect causes the bully to be infested in this anger,tormenting his self every day he has to go to school or where this occurs. And even the bullys themselves have very little self esteem and are living in anguish theirselves is why they pick on others. It makes them feel better about their problems and their selves. So is the word Self esteem. Maybe their are many words but a child does need to feel good about him or herself. A parent needs to be well aware of any type of problem at school. And hopefully they will give it the attention it needs and pray that the child will receive what he or she needs to be a successful student and come an adult strong and satisfied.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

The root word here is ( b u l l y ) But many wiords go with it to make it in my opinion the reason for school violence. If you have never been bullied then you do not know the pain or the aggravation of this scene.
It takes your spirit away, completely, your soul is broken. As a teenager especially, all answers are in the hands of other teenagers. If they dont like your clothes or what you are doing, then you lose soul. You feel like a monster on the inside and out. You are so volunable to ridicule at this delicate age. That others of your peers can make it like a living nightmare. And for Peter, I could hear his pain, see his shoulders limp and his eyes burdened with hurt and then with spite and hatred. The main word here is help for the bully. Understand the bully. Maybe he doesn't have a clue how to get out of this situation. School officials need to be aware of this horrid thing being bullied, and always watch the halls, classrooms,buses and so forth for this affect. Do you know, they use to turn and walk the other way. Children who bully need to be disciplined as severely as fighting. This should be as "no no' as fighting,stealing,corruption in school. or any kind crime known as severe to school officials. Neglect causes the bully to be infested in this anger,tormenting his self every day he has to go to school or where this occurs. And even the bullys themselves have very little self esteem and are living in anguish theirselves is why they pick on others. It makes them feel better about their problems and their selves. So is the word Self esteem. Maybe their are many words but a child does need to feel good about him or herself. A parent needs to be well aware of any type of problem at school. And hopefully they will give it the attention it needs and pray that the child will receive what he or she needs to be a successful student and come an adult strong and satisfied.

I think the schools bear a great responsibility to stop bullies. This, looking the other way, or leaving it to the victim and then punishing him too is not right. I hate to see our schools turn into police states to stop the violence. I think some well spent money on an actual COUNSELING counselor, not just for the victims but for the bullies could help a lot in schools and may be a necessity these days. Courts will sentance kids and adults to anger management classes after they do something to wind up in court. Maybe its time we have anger management courses in schools and more peer counseling. I know some of those programs do work where they are being tried. And there is a group of high school kids going to middle schools and teaching kids about cliches and how hurtful they can be and why everyone is important and to respect each other. And they say the middle kids are listening because this is a bigger kid talking to them, not an adult or teacher. I can't remember what they call their group but its a great idea. Bullies are bullies for a reason and its usually something that started at home. They often need help too, its just a different kind. But you have to stop the behavior first, as priority. Parent cant leave all the teaching and caring to the schools either.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Vivian,

You make an excellent point about the parents not leaving it all up to the teachers and the school officials.  Unfortunately, the bullies in school are probably the products of bullies - in other words, one or another of the adults in their life either bully them or act as a bully.  The kids know that it's wrong, but see it as a survival skill - the old "kill or be killed" adage.  Teachers (all, not just some) need to show shock over the slightest disrespect- and not allow ANY rudeness, demeaning language, etc., in the classroom.  It's important for the kids to see exaggerated shock-- because they won't pay attention to the mild reaction. 

Kids laugh at slapstick humor- yes it's immature, but so are they.  So if another child/young adult falls or acts in any way uncoordinated, he'll be laughed at- nature of the beast.  Oftentimes, the one who is laughed at needs to be taught how to react- there is truth to "ignore them and they'll leave you alone."  Just like the ones who are tossing the lunchbag around, when the victim reacts wildly, well, that's just plain fun.  This is the way a particular child will continue to be picked on.  If he stands there, staring at the "tossers" as if they were chimpanzees in the zoo, well, pretty soon they'll either get bored and/or start to feel foolish.  They may stomp on the lunchbag, but still, the victim has won.  The problem is that the child who is getting bullied is probably the product of parents who are not the type to intimidate someone with a scathing glare, so they won't teach that tactic to their child.

Stephanie
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Vivian,
You make an excellent point about the parents not leaving it all up to the teachers and the school officials. Unfortunately, the bullies in school are probably the products of bullies - in other words, one or another of the adults in their life either bully them or act as a bully. The kids know that it's wrong, but see it as a survival skill - the old "kill or be killed" adage. Teachers (all, not just some) need to show shock over the slightest disrespect- and not allow ANY rudeness, demeaning language, etc., in the classroom. It's important for the kids to see exaggerated shock-- because they won't pay attention to the mild reaction.
Kids laugh at slapstick humor- yes it's immature, but so are they. So if another child/young adult falls or acts in any way uncoordinated, he'll be laughed at- nature of the beast. Oftentimes, the one who is laughed at needs to be taught how to react- there is truth to "ignore them and they'll leave you alone." Just like the ones who are tossing the lunchbag around, when the victim reacts wildly, well, that's just plain fun. This is the way a particular child will continue to be picked on. If he stands there, staring at the "tossers" as if they were chimpanzees in the zoo, well, pretty soon they'll either get bored and/or start to feel foolish. They may stomp on the lunchbag, but still, the victim has won. The problem is that the child who is getting bullied is probably the product of parents who are not the type to intimidate someone with a scathing glare, so they won't teach that tactic to their child.

You are very right that bullies are the product of bullies, either a parent, or some were victims at school when they were younger. Well, if you think about it, Josie joins the bullies to keep from being bullied, even laughs with them too, even if she doesnt feel it but she is escaping the behavior towards her by joining those who do it. But whether its other kids, or like is so sadly true, something happening really bad at home, thats why I feel, bullies should get counseling too, not just the victims of it. See whats going on with them, that is causing them to make this extreme choice.
Vivian
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

Vivian,
You make an excellent point about the parents not leaving it all up to the teachers and the school officials.  Unfortunately, the bullies in school are probably the products of bullies - in other words, one or another of the adults in their life either bully them or act as a bully.  The kids know that it's wrong, but see it as a survival skill - the old "kill or be killed" adage.  Teachers (all, not just some) need to show shock over the slightest disrespect- and not allow ANY rudeness, demeaning language, etc., in the classroom.  It's important for the kids to see exaggerated shock-- because they won't pay attention to the mild reaction. 

I agree that it's a group effort and there needs to be as many resources as possible to help the kids, their parents and the staff at the schools. There are so many serious issues that have to be dealt with among school age children and it's not easy. The stress alone can lead to huge problems. Kids don't get to be just kids very often anymore.

It use to be that teachers could use corporal punishment in schools and I'm so glad that's not allowed anymore. There's a huge difference in kids behaving because they've learned right from wrong and behaving because they're scared to death they'll be hit or worse. Now it often goes to the other extreme and teachers aren't allowed to do anything without getting into trouble, being accused of terrible things or even sued. At least in some places a bit of common sense seems to be coming back into style and it's striking a better balance in the way rules are enforced and punishments are handled. Our society has been so caught up in suing everyone for everything it's gotten ridiculous.

I think I told this story before but when I was a teacher a 5th grader who was always in trouble had just returned from the principal's office. Another boy who was also a trouble maker asked him how it went and told him that he should tell his parents that the principal hit him because then they could sue. He knew that teachers basically couldn't even touch a kid with all of the rule changes and fear of problems. I was so angry! He didn't know I heard him but I let him know what I thought about that idea and I couldn't believe he would suggest such a thing. (although I could) I let the principal know about it too. These were only 5th graders but they were already aware of how much potential power they had and how they could misuse it.

New User
jennylynn21
0 Kudos

well I loved this book.  I am in  a book club with my sister and mom and some friends this was one that we read last year when it first came out.  This was the first time I read Jodi Piccoult and enjoyed it very much...So this is my answer to the question about violence in the schools.  It first starts with the home life, I don't care what kind of job you have or how busy you are with your friends and social life your children are your first priority, they didn't ask to be born  so always know who there friends are, what video games they are playing, who are their friends parents, if there are guns in the house to where your child hangs around, etc.  You, as the adult are responsible for your childs actions just as much as they are.  If your child is a violent tempered child watch them, take a little time to talk with them.  Don't evere say "not my child" I remember reading a child was receiving UPS packages in the mail on  a weekly basis, what  in the hell did you think your child was getting in the mail and where did he/she get the money to order this kind of epuiptment?  Also, when a child sees/hears violence at home or at the homes of his/her friends and goes out killing people who  act like waht they just witnessed then don't be surprised.  So I beleive that at home is where it all starts and unfortunately ends at school.  :smileywink: 
If you read everyday you will never be bored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Users Online
Currently online: 59 members 795 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: