Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Josie's secret

Hey guys,
Got an email from B&N about new books coming out (wish it was an apology over my membership problem but that seems to be a mute point now) but anyway, for any Harlan Coben fans, his new book (Hold Tight) is out next month and I mention it in here because, well read the synopsis of it, after reading this book.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?r=1&EAN=9780525950608
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Re: Josie's secret

vivico1 wrote:
Hey guys,
Got an email from B&N about new books coming out (wish it was an apology over my membership problem but that seems to be a mute point now) but anyway, for any Harlan Coben fans, his new book (Hold Tight) is out next month and I mention it in here because, well read the synopsis of it, after reading this book.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?r=1&EAN=9780525950608

Thanks for the heads up Viv. It sounds good!

Frequent Contributor
dghobbs
0 Kudos

Re: To Doug Hobbs: About your daughter going to public school after homeschooling

kiakar wrote:
Doug, thank you so much for writing me about your daughters. It has eased my mine so much. Kaitlin is really ahead of her grade level so I know I shouldn't worry so much. But that is what Grandmothers do. ha.
Kaitlin's mother,my daughter, a social-worker-case worker for hospice and helps with her schooling when Kait's father who is a general college graduate can't teach her. But most is done by her father, that is doing a super job. He has always been good about telling her things she needed to learn just by having a conversation about things in general. Thanks for your lovely comments about Kaitlin and her name. And your girls all have lovely names and really have done well. And your daughter Mahala. much luck and wishes for her. She surely has to maintain a high average A to get in a Vet. college. My oldest daughter's daughter,Megan graduates from Va. Tech next year and wants to also be a vet but her grades are not at the highest level of A's, so these last two years she has taken some medical classes and will graduate high enought to go to Physicians Assistance College. But I really feel her dream have always been to go to Vets school. She is going to apply to both but if it takes a few years to get in to Vets school she will decide what to do then. She is very practical also. Oh! My name is Linda Huff.

Linda,

It sounds like Kaitlin has plenty of guidance...that is the key to Homeschooling. If the child leads, they will learn far more, since they are learning what they want. It also gives them a love of learning. As adults, if we can then guide them to the right resources, including ourselves, they will learn alot - children are naturally curious. Perhaps, not as orderly as in school - but then that makes it more fun for the child and the adult. An additional benefit is that the adults get to learn as well. What Fun!! Unfortunately, schools often do the opposite, by making learning a chore.

You are right about Vet school - I sure hope Megan gets in OR finds being a Physicians Assistant a good alternative. Mahala seems to have a healthy attitude - her goal is to become a Vet, but if that doesn't work out there are plenty of other things she would like to do. Doug
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

article about bully being sued

I found an interesting article about parents who are suing their 16-year-old son's bully and have threatened to sue more of them and the school district. The family was on the Today show this morning and it sounds like their story has some similarities to the story we read. The boy has been bullied since elementary school and hasn't received much help along the way. His parents are trying to teach him to fight back. Hmmm...
There are also other links about bullying at the end of the story but I haven't read those yet.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: End of Book discussion

You all are such careful readers- great questions, thoughts -  Wow, what a fantastic group this is.

I just wanted to let you all know that Friday is our last day in the group, and I really appreciate all of your participation.  I loved this book, and I loved reading it with all of you. 

I look forward to seeing you all again very soon! 

Stephanie
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
You all are such careful readers- great questions, thoughts - Wow, what a fantastic group this is.
I just wanted to let you all know that Friday is our last day in the group, and I really appreciate all of your participation. I loved this book, and I loved reading it with all of you.

Thanks Steph, it was a good book and very small but very good group.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:
You all are such careful readers- great questions, thoughts - Wow, what a fantastic group this is.
I just wanted to let you all know that Friday is our last day in the group, and I really appreciate all of your participation. I loved this book, and I loved reading it with all of you.

Thanks Steph, it was a good book and very small but very good group.

No!!! I'm not ready for this to be over! :smileysad: There haven't been many people here but we've had some great discussions. I really enjoyed this book too even if it struck a nerve or two. I guess that's part of being a good writer though isn't it?
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
You all are such careful readers- great questions, thoughts -  Wow, what a fantastic group this is.

I just wanted to let you all know that Friday is our last day in the group, and I really appreciate all of your participation.  I loved this book, and I loved reading it with all of you. 

Stephanie, Its always fun with you on board!   We did have a great discussion.    Linda
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

hey guys,
if any of you come back to read any more posts, get this. If you didnt hear this on the news, check this out, these are THIRD graders!!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080402/ap_on_re_us/children_s_plot_15

Also I saw on Jay Leno, last week, where he sometimes does a segment with kids and their invention, one little 8-9 year old boy invented the hidden belt buckle camera. Jay and the audience kinda giggled about it and asked him what it was for. He said, to get pictures when you are being bullied so you can prove it. People didn't laugh as much then and it wasn't hidden really, was on a separate strap around his waist. Jay asked him if he had ever been bullied, he was a little guy, nicely dressed with glasses and he said yes, a lot. He said not now tho. How how sad is that, that a little kid has to "invent" wearing this geeky looking little camera belt on him, to prove to the adults he was getting bullied or beaten on and who it was.
Vivian
Users Online
Currently online: 34 members 215 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: