Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

First Impressions

Discuss your first impressions of Nineteen Minutes here.
Stephanie
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions

I'm still reading this book but it has hooked me right away. Even though I knew what it was about I'm surprised how much it's bothering me already. I knew it would be heartbreaking but it has really gotten to me. I have teenagers in high school and college and there have been more school shootings lately so obviously that has an affect too. I've read many tragic and sad stories over the years but this one is bringing out such strong feelings. There are so many different kinds of victims in this story and so many things that could have been prevented. This doesn't have the good guys in white hats and the bad guys wearing black. It's such a tragedy.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:
I'm still reading this book but it has hooked me right away. Even though I knew what it was about I'm surprised how much it's bothering me already. I knew it would be heartbreaking but it has really gotten to me. I have teenagers in high school and college and there have been more school shootings lately so obviously that has an affect too. I've read many tragic and sad stories over the years but this one is bringing out such strong feelings. There are so many different kinds of victims in this story and so many things that could have been prevented. This doesn't have the good guys in white hats and the bad guys wearing black. It's such a tragedy.

You are so right, Wrighty(Deb)  The bully does not necessaryly wear black or good guys that do not make fun of their friends normally do not wear just white hats. You have no warning into who is threading on thin ice and who is handling life just fine. The taunts of other people either roll off or they infest inside until they have to explode. How do we stop kids from getting a kick out of bullying.? This should be taught as part of Pysch all the way through school. My friend's daughter had it happen to her this week, Monday. She got on the bus and someone had put something in the seat she had always sit at and they were ribbing her about her clothes, her hair and the boy in charge of the little circus of bullying she hit upside the head with her loaded bookbag. She snapped and of course got suspended and the guy also got suspended. The girl, Courtney celebrated her 12th birthday last Friday and the boy was a few years older. Anyway, there has to be a better way to handle this problem. They should have some kind of program in schools to discourage bullying and give the bullied a way out that doesnt break their spirit all together.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

I think it truly takes adult involvement, especially in the lower grades.  To actively tell school children that they "May not" every time they tease, laugh at someone else's expense, or make a crack about someone who's not even in the room- only then will they realize that it's not acceptable- the same way we have to repeat "hot, hot, hot" to a toddler who is near the stove.  It's just the nature of the beast, you have to repeat yourself 'til you're blue in the face with kids!   Believe me, teachers (here in Florida, anyway) are TOLD to foster a comfortable, embarrassment-free learning environment.   There's nothing wrong with good-natured joking, but eliciting laughs at the expense of others is not good-natured.  It's mean-spirited, and rooted in self-consciousness on the part of the teaser. 

Stephanie
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
I think it truly takes adult involvement, especially in the lower grades.  To actively tell school children that they "May not" every time they tease, laugh at someone else's expense, or make a crack about someone who's not even in the room- only then will they realize that it's not acceptable- the same way we have to repeat "hot, hot, hot" to a toddler who is near the stove.  It's just the nature of the beast, you have to repeat yourself 'til you're blue in the face with kids!   Believe me, teachers (here in Florida, anyway) are TOLD to foster a comfortable, embarrassment-free learning environment.   There's nothing wrong with good-natured joking, but eliciting laughs at the expense of others is not good-natured.  It's mean-spirited, and rooted in self-consciousness on the part of the teaser. 

I read somewhere that this book was published before the Virginia Tech incident.  Do you think that now maybe kids are reading about these horrors and also they see in the paper others happening, they are angry and are pi cked on at school and decide to copy these things. Wasn't Columbine the first? Look at all the many incidents after Columbine. There are still alot of incidents going on in schools that need attention today and not tomarrow. Like  you, Stephanie I feel everyone should get use to being the color blue. Just keep screaming it in kid's ears no matter what color you turn out to be. Do not hurt others that includes the inside of a person.
Maybe kids just do not realize especially if they have not been bullied how distraught it makes a person feel.
It is one of the worst pains a young person could suffer not knowing how to stop it either.
Contributor
KATER
0 Kudos

As a mom of 2 small children right now this is terrifying.  When will it end.  It has only gotten worse since Columbine.  I already stress thinking about how things affect others to my 2 and 4yo.  What will school be like in 10yrs when my boys are in high school. 
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

KATER wrote:
As a mom of 2 small children right now this is terrifying.  When will it end.  It has only gotten worse since Columbine.  I already stress thinking about how things affect others to my 2 and 4yo.  What will school be like in 10yrs when my boys are in high school. 

I know Kater, but we just have to have faith and be alert to anything that can be done to make this terror vanish.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Kater,

That's the reason I told my daughter to stick up for the boy in her class who gets teased- if it doesn't continue through high school, maybe his life won't be a misery, and he'll be a happy person who doesn't feel the need for revenge.   I think this should be an ongoing discussion in classrooms across the nation - every time an adult sees someone getting teased, they need to make a very big deal over it- sure the kids will roll their eyes and groan, but at least the students who are being bothered will know that someone is sticking up for them. 

Stephanie
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Kater,

That's the reason I told my daughter to stick up for the boy in her class who gets teased- if it doesn't continue through high school, maybe his life won't be a misery, and he'll be a happy person who doesn't feel the need for revenge.   I think this should be an ongoing discussion in classrooms across the nation - every time an adult sees someone getting teased, they need to make a very big deal over it- sure the kids will roll their eyes and groan, but at least the students who are being bothered will know that someone is sticking up for them. 

I think some kids go along with the teasing because they don't want to be the one that is teased. Sometimes they will do whatever it takes to fit in. And some kids escalate the teasing into being cruel to others. It scares the crap out of me what can happen.

Two weeks ago my kids had an assembly at their high school called Rachel's Challenge. It was presented by the uncle of a girl named Rachel who was the first victim in the Columbine killings. Her uncle and some others travel the country trying to teach kids about how harmful it is to mistreat others. Rachel kept journals and her uncle shares with the kids how she wrote that she didn't think she would live long but she thought her life would have great meaning. She also had made sketches of flowers with 13 teardrops shortly before her death. There were 13 victims in Columbine. My kids said it was eerie and many people were crying but it was also very good. I just hope it's effective. They must be a very brave family to be able to discuss her loss over and over again. Her life does have great meaning to others everywhere now.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

Stephanie wrote:
Kater,

I think some kids go along with the teasing because they don't want to be the one that is teased. Sometimes they will do whatever it takes to fit in. And some kids escalate the teasing into being cruel to others. It scares the crap out of me what can happen.

Two weeks ago my kids had an assembly at their high school called Rachel's Challenge. It was presented by the uncle of a girl named Rachel who was the first victim in the Columbine killings. Her uncle and some others travel the country trying to teach kids about how harmful it is to mistreat others. Rachel kept journals and her uncle shares with the kids how she wrote that she didn't think she would live long but she thought her life would have great meaning. She also had made sketches of flowers with 13 teardrops shortly before her death. There were 13 victims in Columbine. My kids said it was eerie and many people were crying but it was also very good. I just hope it's effective. They must be a very brave family to be able to discuss her loss over and over again. Her life does have great meaning to others everywhere now.

That is so great that people have the courage to do that. Rachel with her  heavenly spirit is giving the family the courage to go on I feel. She certainly would want this and be so proud.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I just checked in the on the Rachel's Challenge website- looks like a great program. What an incredible girl.  I hope it takes off and makes a great impact all over the country.

Message Edited by Stephanie on 03-06-2008 06:46 PM
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
reddoglady
0 Kudos

I am only one chapter into the book, but am hooked already -- I have not read any of Jodi's other books, but now I will go back and read them including the new one -- we just had a tragedy here in North Carolina -- a chapel hill senior was murdered -- they are saying it was random, but all the details are not known yet -- I was teased alot when I was in junior high school so I know how many of these kids must feel -- it isn't fun --
ek
Contributor
ek
0 Kudos

I love to read Jodi Picoult's books.  I started Nineteen Minutes yesterday and could not put it down.  I stayed up til 3 a.m. and couldn't wait to get back to it.  I just finished the book and will be thinking of all the characters for days!! 
Elaine
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Elaine,

It's a haunting sort of a book, isn't it?  In all the senses of the word.  I couldn't (and can't) get the characters out of my head either.  Mainly Peter.  Which character is hanging around in your head?  Group? 
Stephanie
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

RedDogLady,

You're going to be very busy if you're going to read all of Jodi's books!  She has piles of them, and they're all terrific.

Stephanie
ek
Contributor
ek
0 Kudos

RedDogLady,
    I have all her books and have read all but 3.  My Sister's Keeper still haunts me.
Elaine
ek
Contributor
ek
0 Kudos

Stephanie,
  I would have to say everyone in the book is and will haunt me for some time.  Of course Peter.  I can't imagine from the 1st day of kindergarten being bullied and he was so looking forward to his first day!  Kids can be so cruel.  Peter's mother - really all the characters - that is why I love Picoult's writing so much.  All the characters are believable.
Elaine
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

ek wrote:
Stephanie,
  I would have to say everyone in the book is and will haunt me for some time.  Of course Peter.  I can't imagine from the 1st day of kindergarten being bullied and he was so looking forward to his first day!  Kids can be so cruel.  Peter's mother - really all the characters - that is why I love Picoult's writing so much.  All the characters are believable.
Elaine

Yes, ek. All of Jodi's characters will leave their mark on you. She has no insignificant characters in any of her books. Peter and Josie both, I feel for . I think high school is the hardest time that children have. And I do not think Josie wanted to tease anyone, she just didn't want the tables to turn on her and noone liking her. As a teenager that is so important. To be liked, to be looked at with admiration never with taunts.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
I just checked in the on the Rachel's Challenge website- looks like a great program. What an incredible girl.  I hope it takes off and makes a great impact all over the country.

Message Edited by Stephanie on 03-06-2008 06:46 PM

Good idea, I didn't even think to look for a website. I hope the program really takes off too. They made it here to our little town in NY state all the way from Colorado. I hope that's a good sign. Now if only it will make a difference...

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

ek wrote:
I love to read Jodi Picoult's books.  I started Nineteen Minutes yesterday and could not put it down.  I stayed up til 3 a.m. and couldn't wait to get back to it.  I just finished the book and will be thinking of all the characters for days!! 
Elaine

Wow Elaine, you're fast! This book has me hooked too but at the same time it's been hard for me. I always read before bed but I haven't been able to with this one. I have 3 teenagers and the subject is so scary. It's written so well and my heart goes out to all of the people in this story but it has really gotten to me. It's been awhile since a book has affected me this way.

Users Online
Currently online: 41 members 715 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: