Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Introductions

Hi fellow readers. I just thought we should have an introduction thread, for everyone to say hi and who they are, so we get our feet wet talking to each other.
My name is Vivian. I am from Oklahoma. I like a lot of different kinds of books and thought this one sounded pretty timely, especially since we had a couple of incidences right here in Oklahoma while I was reading this book. Looking forward to some great discussions.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
ladydi22
0 Kudos

Re: Introductions

Hi Vivian,

I loved your 1 Corinthians quote from "The Sister" board.  Looking through the glass darkly might also apply in this book?  Whatdayathink?

Am also curious about how you and your community dealt with the aftermath of such senseless acts of violence.  More than anything I wish that these occurences were not beginning to seem so commonplace.

Diana
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Debbie from NY state. I'm married with three teenagers and have always enjoyed reading. I have read some of Jodi Picoult's books and really liked them. She writes such good stories about timely topics and throws a twist or two in there also. I am enjoying this one as well and am really looking forward to this club.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

ladydi22 wrote:
Hi Vivian,
I loved your 1 Corinthians quote from "The Sister" board. Looking through the glass darkly might also apply in this book? Whatdayathink?
Am also curious about how you and your community dealt with the aftermath of such senseless acts of violence. More than anything I wish that these occurences were not beginning to seem so commonplace.
Diana

Thanks. As for the incident here last month, we lucked out. This young man told a woman "on the street", had to be a hooker the way they put it cause why would he tell some stranger on the street and what woman is walking on any town or city street alone at night anymore who isnt "working". Anyway, she went to the cops right away and told them everything. They locked down all the schools in the two towns he talked about and the went after him at his home. He had said he was going to kill the kids with a chemical bomb but that he had guns to kill any who came out. He said that if that didnt work, he had a backup plan to bomb the police station. He is in jaii now awaiting formal charges. What is weird is, he is about 20 and didnt go to either school system so we dont know why yet he would target them. In this case, thank goodness for the hooker! And thank goodness the small town cops listened to her!
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:
Hi, I'm Debbie from NY state. I'm married with three teenagers and have always enjoyed reading. I have read some of Jodi Picoult's books and really liked them. She writes such good stories about timely topics and throws a twist or two in there also. I am enjoying this one as well and am really looking forward to this club.

Hey wrighty, good to see you! :smileywink:
Vivian
Contributor
time452play
0 Kudos

I live in the bay area and an am an avid reader of Jodi Piccoult. She is an amazing author.  She is able to bring feeling, emotion, and very vivid visualization to her readers. She has the ability to make the reader relate to the charachters in her books as if they are personal friends or family. I have yet to find another author with the abilities of Jodi and I wait months for the new releases once I learn she is writing a new one.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Hey wrighty, good to see you! :smileywink:

Hi Viv! Good to see you too. Are any of the others going to join us here or are we on our own?

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

time452play wrote:
I live in the bay area and an am an avid reader of Jodi Piccoult. She is an amazing author.  She is able to bring feeling, emotion, and very vivid visualization to her readers. She has the ability to make the reader relate to the charachters in her books as if they are personal friends or family. I have yet to find another author with the abilities of Jodi and I wait months for the new releases once I learn she is writing a new one.

Welcome time452play. I see Jodi has a new book. I think the title is A Change of Heart. It sounds really good and controversial like many of her books. Have you seen it or read it yet?

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I am Linda from Central Virginia. I have read all of Jodi Picult books and this one we are reading now is right up there on top of my long lists of my favorites of hers.She writes about hot topics that occur maybe not in everyone's life but happens with alot of conversity at stake. She is a author I do not see the surprises coming at me just a inch away, she is good. I have never opened a book of hers that I didnt like Love and got right into the instant I started. Well, enought of this praise. She deserves it, but everyone reading her novels for the first time will know what I mean. I am retired and enjoy reading, computing,scrapbooking  and going out with friends. Also active on a couple of boards that interest me. The neighborhood watch and The Home Owners Assoc for our Townhouses. So happy reading to us all.  Special hello to Vivian,Cindersue and wrighty.  And of course hello again to our moderator  Stephanie.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

And Hello to you, Mrs. Wrighty who is always right.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
Hi fellow readers. I just thought we should have an introduction thread, for everyone to say hi and who they are, so we get our feet wet talking to each other.
My name is Vivian. I am from Oklahoma. I like a lot of different kinds of books and thought this one sounded pretty timely, especially since we had a couple of incidences right here in Oklahoma while I was reading this book. Looking forward to some great discussions.

You are so good making us a thread to say hi to everyone. Thanks and a special hello to you. Linda
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Wrighty wrote:
 And Hello to you, Mrs. Wrighty who is always right.

You got that right! :smileyvery-happy: So glad to see you here Linda!

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Hi Ladies!

Great to see some new members (to me, anyway!) Deb and Linda and Viv - so glad you're all here!  I think we're going to really get into this one... what a story! 

How many are finished reading?  I'm wondering if we can jump right in with discussing characters throughout, and possibly post some Don't Spoil it For Me! threads for those who are still reading.  If the main body of our group has read or will have finished soon, then how do we want to proceed?

Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
reddoglady
0 Kudos

Hi -- I am from North Carolina and just started the book -- I have not read any of her other books -- looking forward to the discussions --
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

reddoglady wrote:
Hi -- I am from North Carolina and just started the book -- I have not read any of her other books -- looking forward to the discussions --

I am sure this will start you to reading all of her wonderful novels. They are that good!
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Hi Ladies!

Great to see some new members (to me, anyway!) Deb and Linda and Viv - so glad you're all here!  I think we're going to really get into this one... what a story! 

How many are finished reading?  I'm wondering if we can jump right in with discussing characters throughout, and possibly post some Don't Spoil it For Me! threads for those who are still reading.  If the main body of our group has read or will have finished soon, then how do we want to proceed?

Hi Stephanie! I haven't finished the book yet but however you set it up is fine with me. I have more time to read it now.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Introductions/ we three and thee and a new book

Hey Stephanie,
Since this club has been basically you, me,Debbie and Linda (and I dont know why, its a good book and I know the author has lots of fans) the whole month so far, I have a question for you. lol. Debbie, Linda and Cindersue and I are going to be reading a book together in Apr that is not on here, but we bought it at B&N, :smileyhappy: its a thriller, You Can't Hide by Karen Rose. We want to all discuss it together as a regular club, and we did one before in the main community room as a thread, a Harlen Coben book, but it was hard to discuss a whole book with questions and stuff on one thread. We did get over 4000 hits tho in two months LOL tho really it was just us participating like here! So, whats the chances of us using this club room in Apr, to start some discussion on our book, and post some threads about it here, so we can read and post as we go? Kinda like when we read Jewel Trader last month, and it was in the same club as the one going out of there, just seperate threads? We dont want to set up a new club for the book, like we could anyway, who knows how or has the keys to the kingdom to do so lol. But if this club is still up in Apr. can we add threads about our book, so we can discuss it in here? Hey, its worth a shot to ask anyway LOL. :smileywink:
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
BookSavage
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Karla, have two boys 2 and 6 months.  I live in Texas.  I am using my husband's screen name, because I'm being lazy.  I have just started reading this book, and my husband told me to come on here and see what was going on with your discussion.  I'm looking forward to discussing with you all.
Karla
Go Cubs Go!
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Vivian,

Interesting question- one to which I really don't know the answer!  Sorry about that- I think the best thing to do would be to send Jessica a private message about it.  She'll know the best course of action for you.

Stephanie
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Karla,

Great to have you joining us- tell your husband to join us also.  What did you think of the novel?  I admit I was very moved emotionally by it - and going in, I thought that any kid who shoots up a school should be incarcerated for life- no questions asked, but after reading... I could see a whole set of variables that I hadn't even considered in depth prior to reading.
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online:37 members 316 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: