Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

More by Jodi Picoult

More by Jodi Picoult

Songs of the Humpback Whale
For years, Jane Jones has lived in the shadow of her husband, renowned San Diego oceanographer Oliver Jones. But during an escalating argument, Jane turns on him with an alarming volitility. In anger and fear, Jane leaves with their teenage daughter, Rebecca, for a cross-country odyssey charted by letters from her brother Joley, guiding them to his Massachusetts apple farm, where surprising self-discoveries await. Now Oliver, an expert at tracking humpback wales across vast oceans, will search for his wife across a continent, and find a new way to see the world, his family, and himself through her eyes.

Salem Falls
Jack St. Bride is twice damned. Just released from prison for a statuary rape he did not commit, this ex-teacher has become a dishwasher in a remote New Hampshire town. Hoping to maintain a low profile, St. Bride begins to develop a relationship with his attractive boss almost against his will. Healing, however, is turned to exposure, when our mild-mannered ex-con is accused once again by a teenager. This high-voltage legal thriller has a nice human edge.

The Pact
Until the phone calls came at three o'clock on a November morning, the Golds and their neighbors, the Hartes, had been inseparable. It was no surprise to anyone when their teenage children, Chris and Emily, began showing signs that their relationship was moving beyond that of lifelong friends. But now seventeen-year-old Emily is dead -- shot with a gun her beloved and devoted Chris pilfered from his father's cabinet as part of an apparent suicide pact -- leaving two devastated families stranded in the dark and dense predawn, desperate for answers about an unthinkable act and the children they never really knew.

My Sister's Keeper
Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate -- a life and a role that she has never challenged until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister -- and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves.

Change of Heart
One moment June Nealon was happily looking forward to years full of laughter and adventure with her family, and the next, she was staring into a future that was as empty as her heart. For Shay Bourne, life holds no more surprises. The world has given him nothing, and he has nothing to offer the world. In a heartbeat, though, something happens that changes everything for him. Now, he has one last chance for salvation, and it lies with June's eleven-year-old daughter, Claire. Picoult's latest finds us asking the hard questions -- Would you give up your vengeance against someone you hate if it meant saving someone you love? Would you want your dreams to come true if it meant granting your enemy's dying wish?

See all books by Jodi Picoult.

Additional Recommended Reading

Blue Water
A. Manette Ansay
On an ordinary morning in Fox Harbor, Wisconsin, Meg and Rex Van Dorn's lives are irrevocably changed when a drunk driver slams into Meg's car, killing the couple's six-year-old son, Evan. In a town in which everyone knows everybody else, it's no surprise that Meg and the driver, Cindy Ann Kreisler, were once the best of friends. Now, as Meg recovers from her own injuries, she and Rex find themselves unable to cope with their anger and despair, especially after Cindy Ann returns -- with a mere slap on the wrist -- to the life she lived before the accident: living in a beautiful house, enjoying her own three daughters, all of whom walked away from the accident unharmed.

Before You Know Kindness
Chris Bohjalian
For ten summers, the Seton family -- all three generations -- met at their country home in New England to spend a week together playing tennis, badminton, and golf, and savoring gin and tonics on the wraparound porch to celebrate the end of the season. In the eleventh summer, everything changed. A hunting rifle with a single cartridge left in the chamber wound up in exactly the wrong hands at exactly the wrong time, and led to a nightmarish accident that put to the test the values that unite the family and the convictions that just may pull it apart.

American Youth
Phil LaMarche
American Youth is a controlled, essential, and powerful tale of a teenager in southern New England who is confronted by a terrible moral dilemma following a firearms accident in his home. This tragedy earns him the admiration of a sinister gang of boys at his school and a girl associated with them. Set in a town riven by social and ideological tensions -- an old rural culture in conflict with newcomers -- this is a classic portrait of a young man struggling with the idea of identity and responsibility in an America ill at ease with itself.

The Hounds of Winter
James Magnuson
David Neisen came seeking reconciliation; what he found was a father's worst nightmare. Arriving on Christmas Eve to spend the holidays with his daughter Maya, he discovers her murdered on the floor of their cabin in the Wisconsin woods. He sees a ski-masked figure lurching through the snowdrifts behind the house and sets out in pursuit -- only to transform himself into the prime suspect in his daughter's death. Struggling to elude his pursuers in the fierce Wisconsin winter, Neisen must deal first with the ghosts of his past -- a childhood tragedy that binds him to the small-town sheriff, the friends of his youth who must now choose to shelter or betray him, and the unresolved mysteries about the munitions plant where his father worked during the Korean War.

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Re: More by Jodi Picoult

I think I have read most of JP's books. I LOVED My Sister's Keeper the best probably, and we did that for a live bookclub I am also in.

Another great one, not mentioned here is The Tenth Circle.

One thing these two have in common is strong caring fathers.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Bonnie824 wrote:
I think I have read most of JP's books. I LOVED My Sister's Keeper the best probably, and we did that for a live bookclub I am also in.

Yes Bonnie I loved Tenth Circle. That opened alot of discussing about another great interest. Date Rape.And of course alot of surprises.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: More by Jodi Picoult hump back Whale

This is an extra warm hearted story about a couple. The decisions they have to make and more!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Blue Water by Manette Ansay is a great story about heartbreak and the road to recovering the heart to a livable level after losing a child.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Bonnie824 wrote:

Yes Bonnie I loved Tenth Circle. That opened alot of discussing about another great interest. Date Rape.And of course alot of surprises.

I loved My Sister's Keeper too. My mom has leukemia and at first I was nervous the story would bother me more since a character also has that disease. It was handled very well with a good story that was very thorough as far as the medical knowledge but it didnt get boring either. The twists she has on these stories surprise me every time too.

Frequent Contributor
Kat727
0 Kudos

jodi picoult is by far my favorite author. i have read everyone of her books and am so excited about the new one. my sister's keeper is definitely my favorite of all her books. i usually don't cry about books, but i sobbed at the end of that one.
peace and love
Kaylee/Kat
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Kat, 

My Sister's Keeper  is a favorite of mine as well.  It's just one of those books that hits home on so many levels.  I don't know how Picoult keeps coming up with these amazing stories, but I hope she lives and writes forever. 
Stephanie
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

movie - My Sister's Keeper

I just saw in today's paper that Jodi's book My Sister's Keeper will begin filming this spring. Cameron Diaz will play the mother of the girls. Abigail Breslin will play the part of the 13-year-old sister who says she was bred for spare parts for her older sister who has cancer. Isn't she the girl who was in Little Miss Sunshine and some other more recent movies? She seems too young for the part but she is probably about that age. I really liked the book and I wonder how the movie will be. I always like the books better but there are some movies that turn out pretty good too.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: movie - My Sister's Keeper

Wrighty wrote:
I just saw in today's paper that Jodi's book My Sister's Keeper will begin filming this spring. Cameron Diaz will play the mother of the girls. Abigail Breslin will play the part of the 13-year-old sister who says she was bred for spare parts for her older sister who has cancer. Isn't she the girl who was in Little Miss Sunshine and some other more recent movies? She seems too young for the part but she is probably about that age. I really liked the book and I wonder how the movie will be. I always like the books better but there are some movies that turn out pretty good too.

That is great, wrighty. Just think of what a tear jerker that will be. Wow!
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

I don't know how I feel about My Sister's Keeper being made into a movie.  It's a book that I want my children to read when they're older- I know my daughter will be a huge Jodi fan when she's in HS, but that's five years away.  Lots of HS students read Jodi's books, as they should!  Sometimes I worry that they'll just watch the movie and skip the book.  In my opinion, there is NO movie that could touch Jodi's writing.  She's just too good at her craft. 
Stephanie
New User
rjteer
0 Kudos

SAVE THE ENDING!!!

First The good news: If you loved "My Sister's Keeper" - and I know you did - you'll be thrilled to know there WILL be a movie.

Abigail Breslin will replace Elle Fanning and Sofia Vassilieva will replace Dakota Fanning in the New Line drama directed by Nick Cassavetes.

Sources said Dakota Fanning balked at a request that she shave her head for the role and both sisters withdrew abruptly.

Breslin, who was Oscar-nominated for "Little Miss Sunshine," will take over the role of a young girl who sues for emancipation from parents who conceived her as a genetic match so she could prolong the life of her ailing older sister. Vassilieva ("Medium") would play the older sister.

Cameron Diaz plays the mother of the girls, a tough lawyer who takes her own case in court. Alec Baldwin plays the attorney who represents the child. Joan Cusack will also star in the drama, a Jeremy Leven-scripted adaptation of the Jodi Picoult novel.

Production is still on track for March, with Mark Johnson and Chuck Pacheco producing.

Now the Bad News:
The director, Nick Cassavetes, has made a decision that will certainly upset anyone who read this book.
THE DIRECTOR HAS DECIDED TO CREATE A DIFFERENT ENDING FOR THE MOVIE!

As Jodi Picoult herself pointed out:  When you first read this book and threw it your best friend and told her she HAD to read it, what was the reason? The ending.

Can this movie ruining catastrophe be stopped? Maybe. But it's up to you. 
Send an e-mail to Mark Johnson - Producer: mark@granviaprod.com
and another one to Toby Emmerich -Executive Producer : toby.emmerich@newline.com

Then forward this to anyone and everyone who might have read the book or who believes in preserving an author's work.

THANK YOU!!!!!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
I don't know how I feel about My Sister's Keeper being made into a movie.  It's a book that I want my children to read when they're older- I know my daughter will be a huge Jodi fan when she's in HS, but that's five years away.  Lots of HS students read Jodi's books, as they should!  Sometimes I worry that they'll just watch the movie and skip the book.  In my opinion, there is NO movie that could touch Jodi's writing.  She's just too good at her craft. 

You know, Stephanie. That is why I very seldom ever view a movie where I have read the book. They are very seldom even close to the book and  you are right about Jodi's writing. Her words seem to flow like reading poetry.
New User
JEHabs
0 Kudos

I completely agree, movies often don't do the book justice.  There has only been a couple cases of the movie holding true or being better and I would say the Notebook is on that list. 

As for turning this into a movie, I don't think the message will carry through as well and may be more predictable than it was in the book... plus, how are they going to change the ending to make it better?  The ending of the book was top notch, wouldn't change a thing.  I recommend this book to all of my friends the only problem is that it was so good some of the other books fall short in comparison.  Take Song of the Humpback Whales... hated it!  I love all of her other books though, I like how they all twist and turn, make you think on both sides of the story and then get wrapped up in the end with a court case or the final ethical decision being made or coming to light...

19 Minutes really got to me, high school was never the best years of my life, someone needs to stop that rumor!
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

JEHabs,

I'm working on that rumor- I tell all the teens I know that HS is not even close to what "real life" is like.  First of all, who among us is surrounded by hundreds of our same-age peers?   1000-3000 students on the HS campuses in my county - all those incomplete frontal lobes roaming around, unable to make logical decisions... if it weren't so bizarre, with such potential for disaster, it would be hilarious.  Just like inmates, if they wanted to take over, they certainly could. 

Stephanie
Reader
12inchvinylrevival
0 Kudos

yes, I agree, The Tenth circle was good. My sisters keeper was one of my favorites, I LOVED the Pact. What do you think of Change of Heart? I did't love it as much as I though it would, it reminded me a little bit of the Green Mile. 
Reader
12inchvinylrevival
0 Kudos

I feel the same way, My Sister's keeper made me sob uncontrollably. I have read every one of her books, but not that thrilled with her newest. Anyone else feel the same?
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

12inchvinylrevival wrote:
I feel the same way, My Sister's keeper made me sob uncontrollably. I have read every one of her books, but not that thrilled with her newest. Anyone else feel the same?

I haven't read it yet and you're the first person I've heard from that has. Was it the topic you didn't like or was it written differently than her other books?
Reader
12inchvinylrevival
0 Kudos

I thought it was different than her other books, it reminded me of The Green Mile be Stephen King. It also had a lot to do with religion. It was okay, I didn't love it like her other books.
New User
cpbama
0 Kudos

Yes! The Green Mile was the movie I was trying to think about. It was very similar to that which was kind of disappointing. I was so excited about the thought of this book and bought it the day it came out. I have to say that I didn't enjoy it as much as the others. It was a great idea, but then it was just too similar to the story of the Green Mile which we already know. I wish she had gone in a different direction with it.
Users Online
Currently online: 12 members 459 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: