Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Welcome from your moderator

[ Edited ]
Hello Everyone,

I'm Stephanie, your moderator for Jodi Picoult's Nineteen Minutes.  I'm so pleased to be discussing this amazing novel with you. 

I'm a longtime Picoult fan, and I suppose what I love most about her work is that her endings never fail to surprise and satisfy. 

I hope you'll join in the discussion with your own views and questions regarding the novel - the best way to have a great book group is to have lots of participation.

Happy Reading!

Message Edited by Stephanie on 03-03-2008 09:47 PM
Stephanie
New User
Chrissy5280
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from your moderator

Hi everyone --

I have started reading Nineteen Minutes about a week ago.  I love it.  Does Jodi usually write her novels from so many different characters views?  I think it is fast pace and I can hardly put it done.
The in crowd/ out crowd topic has made me think of my own actions towards others.  I have never really thought about the point where you make it in or you're out-- why they liked me or didn't.  I think we forget how hard it is to be a kid.

Chrissy
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Chrissy,

When I talk to my 12 y/o son, I sometimes remember those days of the "in crowd" and I wonder why kids are so cliquish.  He has no answer, just that some kids are cool and some are not.  It serves virtually no purpose - so I think what it stems from is the all too human fear of difference.  That's what creates fads, too, I suppose. 
Stephanie
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Chrissy,

When I talk to my 12 y/o son, I sometimes remember those days of the "in crowd" and I wonder why kids are so cliquish.  He has no answer, just that some kids are cool and some are not.  It serves virtually no purpose - so I think what it stems from is the all too human fear of difference.  That's what creates fads, too, I suppose. 

Kids aren't the only ones who are cliquish. Grownups are the same way. It's fortunate that we may gain confidence as we get older but it's not true for everyone. Some workplaces and social situations are just as bad as high schools.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Deb,

I've seen that a time or two as well- but I have told my children and other teens I know that real life is not like high school, that people will not call you fat, tell you to shut up, or laugh at you if you make a mistake or trip over your feet.  I think human nature is to gravitate toward those like ourselves, but that outward meanness that kids have, a total disregard of propriety, manners, etc-  it's unbelievable to watch.  You have to have a pretty thick skin to be a kid these days. 
Stephanie
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Hey Chrissy,

Yes, most of Jodi Picoult's novels are very fast pace but she does surprise you along the way and most of the time at the end. And most of them are about issues that are very controversial.  If this is your first, you need to get you some others.  My sister's keeper about a young girl having leukemia and The tenth Circle is about date rape and teenagers.The Pact was about teenage sucicide.   There are so good. Her first one, I think it was her first. The Plain Truth was so good, that really hooked me. It was about the Amish people. So look into some more down the road.You want be sorry. Glad you here with us on this one.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Deb,

I've seen that a time or two as well- but I have told my children and other teens I know that real life is not like high school, that people will not call you fat, tell you to shut up, or laugh at you if you make a mistake or trip over your feet.  I think human nature is to gravitate toward those like ourselves, but that outward meanness that kids have, a total disregard of propriety, manners, etc-  it's unbelievable to watch.  You have to have a pretty thick skin to be a kid these days. 

Kids can be so cruel but when you watch very young children at play they don't care what someone else looks like. They just want to have someone to play with. It's a learned behavior to be mean and it's so sad what innocent children can turn into because of the grown ups.

Users Online
Currently online: 7 members 472 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: