LitEditor
0 Kudos

Great Reading Recommendations

Bewitching Reads

Book Cover Image: Title: Blood Canticle, Author: Anne Rice

Buy It
Blood Canticle
Anne Rice
In an interview with her publisher, Anne Rice explains, "The Vampire Chronicles are really about the evolution of the Vampire Lestat, the central hero. Individual books may veer off to tell the stories of others–Pandora, Marius, Armand -- but in the background there is always Lestat, the central hero, and the concern is his moral growth. Blood Canticle is the final step in that maturation."

Book Cover Image: Title: Strange Candy, Author: Laurell K. Hamilton

Buy It
Strange Candy
Laurell K. Hamilton
A previously-unpublished Anita Blake story is just one of the many tricks and treats in this collection of fantasies, fairy tales, and parables from Laurell K. Hamilton. The 14 stories -- six new, three from the '80s, four from the '90s, and one written last year -- represent what Hamilton calls "vacations of the mind," and all show her great delight and skill in "taking the fantastic and dropping it in the middle of the real."

Book Cover Image: Title: Undead and Unpopular, Author: MaryJanice Davidson

Buy It
Undead and Unpopular
MaryJanice Davidson
In the latest installment in MaryJanice Davidson's New York Times bestselling series, Vampire Queen Betsy Taylor has plenty on her plate. For one thing, next week is her birthday. On top of that, she still has wedding plans to finalize. And then there's her decision to stop drinking blood -- something she has yet to share with Eric Sinclair, her fiance -- who also happens to be the Vampire King.

Book Cover Image: Title: Dark Side of the Moon, Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon

Buy It
Dark Side of the Moon
Sherrilyn Kenyon
In Sherrilyn Kenyon's latest thrilling dark romance, her New Orleans-based Dark-Hunters have relocated to Seattle, where they continue to fight the Daimons who suck blood -- and souls -- from their unfortunate human victims.

Book Cover Image: Title: My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding, Author: P. N. Elrod (Editor)

Buy It
My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
P. N. Elrod (Editor)
An "ordinary" wedding can get crazy enough, so can you imagine what happens when otherworldly creatures are involved! Nine of today's hottest authors of Paranormal Romance answer that question in this delightful collection of supernatural wedding stories that features tales from Sherrilyn Kenyon, Charlaine Harris, Jim Butcher, Lori Handeland, and more.

See the latest news about book clubs in the Book Clubs Blog.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: Great Reading Recommendations

How about Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse series and Harper Connelly series. Also I could add Susan Sizemore's books. I'm sure that others have more but those are some of my favorites.
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

There is also Lynsay Sands Argeneau series (Love Bites, Single White Vampire, etc) as well as Katie MacAlistar's Aisling Grey series and her Vampire series.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

How about Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series? Joanne
New User
miche324
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I love Diana Gabaldon's Outlander Series. I've never cared so much about characters in a book as I do about Claire and Jamie Fraser. I don't like that we have to wait so long between books though.

What about J.R. Wards Black Dager Brotherhood Series?

Michelle

Message Edited by miche324 on 11-01-200612:21 PM

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Diana Gabaldon's characters

miche324 wrote:
I love Diana Gabaldon's Outlander Series. I've never cared so much about characters in a book as I do about Claire and Jamie Fraser. I don't like that we have to wait so long between books though.

What about J.R. Wards Black Dager Brotherhood Series?

Michelle

Message Edited by miche324 on 11-01-200612:21 PM

Michelle,

What do you suppose it is that makes these characters so memorable?

Stephanie
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
LadyNyteLyte
0 Kudos

Try the Kelley Armstrong Women Of Otherworld series
Frequent Contributor
dixielandgrl
0 Kudos

I do love jamie and claire. Those books are so uniquely researched and planned that I can only imagine the sweat and tears that go into them. I have only read Voyager in that series. But I believe all of her writing is similiarly planned.

My only complaint goes to plot. The time travel thing has to be accepted, as is. If you think about it too hard, you realize by going back in time with her super germs she would have wiped out most of the population of Scotland. But in the interest of a good read many things can be forgiven. lol.
"If all would lead their lives in love like me,
Then bloody swords and armor should not be:" Thomas Campion
New User
emgroner
0 Kudos

Gosh, there are so many authors out there now with some great stories! Of course I love most of Laurell Hamilton's stuff, but Strange Candy just didn't do it for me.
I recently started a series by Keri Arthur and I think I'm going to like her writting a lot. A new book I picked up that is very good is "The Becoming" by Jeanne C Stein. It also has the makings of a great series.
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

I too love the Outlander series. I've come to think of Claire & Jamie as family.
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

dixielandgrl wrote:
I do love jamie and claire. Those books are so uniquely researched and planned that I can only imagine the sweat and tears that go into them. I have only read Voyager in that series. But I believe all of her writing is similiarly planned.

My only complaint goes to plot. The time travel thing has to be accepted, as is. If you think about it too hard, you realize by going back in time with her super germs she would have wiped out most of the population of Scotland. But in the interest of a good read many things can be forgiven. lol.

You really need to read them in sequence. Outlander (the first book) explains a lot.
New User
ReaderDiane
0 Kudos

Re: Diana Gabaldon's characters

I have just started to read the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series and have finished "Outlander" and "Dragonfly in Amber." But I'm not sure which book is next in the series. Can someone tell me the order, after those two books?

Thanks!
ReaderDiane in Oceanside, CA
New User
krissydh
0 Kudos

3. Voyager
4. Drums of Autumn
5. The Fiery Cross
6. Breath of Snow and Ashes

These books are entirely too addictive. They make for great reading, and cross all genres.
Frequent Contributor
kerrylee
0 Kudos

krissydh wrote:
3. Voyager
4. Drums of Autumn
5. The Fiery Cross
6. Breath of Snow and Ashes

These books are entirely too addictive. They make for great reading, and cross all genres.

Welcome Krissydh! I too am a new user (about a month) I'm not familiar with Diana Gabaldon's books or characters, but my Mom has been into paranormal syudy for at least 40 years and she has literally 1000's of book on thds subject. Is this website just for romance, or is it for serious stuff also? Is anyone out there listening to Art Bell and George Nouri on Coast-to-Coast late at night every night on the radio. It's factual, and some of people that come on (ret. Army, CIA, etc.)know about some very scary stuff that's going on as we speak.Anyway, if you're interested in discussing any of this, please give me a (ring?post?mental telepathy?)ok. Thanks.

Take Care, Happy Reading!
kerkat
Frequent Contributor
mayumithrasher
0 Kudos

Welcome Krissydh! I too am a new user (about a month) I'm not familiar with Diana Gabaldon's books or characters, but my Mom has been into paranormal syudy for at least 40 years and she has literally 1000's of book on thds subject. Is this website just for romance, or is it for serious stuff also? Is anyone out there listening to Art Bell and George Nouri on Coast-to-Coast late at night every night on the radio. It's factual, and some of people that come on (ret. Army, CIA, etc.)know about some very scary stuff that's going on as we speak.Anyway, if you're interested in discussing any of this, please give me a (ring?post?mental telepathy?)ok. Thanks.

Hi kerrylee,

Can you (or your mother) give some recommendations on non-romance paranormal books? Fiction and non. I am in the Skeptical but open-minded camp. I feel that most things have a logical explanation but from time-to-time the unexplainable can happen.

Thanks,
Mayumi
New User
dpsgirl04
0 Kudos

kelley armstrong series is definately a worth while read !!!
Frequent Contributor
kerrylee
0 Kudos

mayumithrasher wrote:

Hi kerrylee,

Can you (or your mother) give some recommendations on non-romance paranormal books? Fiction and non. I am in the Skeptical but open-minded camp. I feel that most things have a logical explanation but from time-to-time the unexplainable can happen.

Thanks,
Mayumi

Hi Mayumithrasher!

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to answer, but I have a sister that is very ill right now, so everything else has become secondary. However, I did ask my Mom for some recommendations, and this is what she came up with for a start!

Anything by Whitley Streiber (except the older books from the 70's like The Hunger when he was first starting out) I'd start with Communion first.

Waking up By Dr. Russel Tart(Professor of Paranormal studies at UC Davis)

Anything by Budd Hopkins.

The Celestine Prophesy, The Celestine Vision & The Secret of Shanbala by James Redfield.

Out of the Body Experience by Robert Crooklee.

Reincarnation-The Cycle of Necessity by Manly P. Hall

Captured! The Betty and Barney Hill UFO Experience. This is based on a true story that happened in 1961. There have been many other books written on this one incident alone. Overwhelmingly, even the government investigators agreed that it occured.

Art Bell (Any books)

And she says that listening to George Noory on Coast-to-Coast am (it's on 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. California time) is really informative and you can learn alot. These are not crackpots calling in and being interview but professionals in their fields.

I hope this is enough to get started, if this is the kind of things you're looking for. George Noory has a website (I think if you just put in George Noory or Coast-to-Coast am.com it'll bring it up.

Take Care and keep me posted on what you think of this kind of subject.
kerkat
Frequent Contributor
mayumithrasher
0 Kudos

Hi Kerkat,

No apologies necessary. Hope your sister is okay.

Out of everything on the list, I've only read Communion by Whitley Streiber. I will take a look at the others.

Thanks (and thanks to your mother) for the suggestions.

-Mayumi
Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 223 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: