Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

B&N Bookseller
melissas

50 Reasons to read The Dresden Files

Okay. So I know the title of this subject may be a little misleading. I don't actually have 50 reasons to read The Dresden Files all ready to post here. I certainly have many, but I want more. Here's why...

Today, at work, I was bubbling over with enthusiasm about tomorrow's release for Ghost Story (as many of you in this forum are currently doing). My store manager said to me, "Convince me. Tell me why I should read these books." Apparently, he had read the first three books in the series and decided that nothing was happening, that there was no character development. Now, I don't necessarily think he's completely off-base. The first few books, I felt, were more about Harry's undertakings than anything else. But as we all know, Harry and his relationships have absolutely developed (in some ways we all didn't necessarily even like). So, I gave him a few reasons, but would love to give him a whopping 50 reasons so that he has no excuse not to finish reading the entire series. Just as a little background info, he's about 40, and reads just about everything, from mainstream fiction to esoteric non-fiction to of course, the wizard and vampire books those of us in this forum read. So, without further ado, I implore you to submit your reasons why he (and anybody else, really) should read The Dresden Files.

My first reason is that if he reads them, he will have a ton of people to discuss the books with. I know that's important to me...it just kills me if nobody has read a book I want to talk about. Even at work alone, at least 10% of the staff has read the entire series.

Thanks for your input!  :smileyvery-happy:

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

Re: 50 Reasons to read The Dresden Files

For me it's the whole picture...Harry is first of all, a very likeable character.  I love all the secondary characters in the book including Mister and especially Murphy.  :-)  Many more are introduced down the line and the books just keep getting better and better in my opinion.  This series is what got me addicted to reading 4 years ago.  :-)

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

When I was first trying to get my husband to read this series, he asked me why should he read it.

I told him "cuz if you don't I'll hurt you!!"  of course, I don't think you could use that one on you boss.  LOL 

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea

I'm glad you started this thread! I've never been drawn to this series before, but have glanced at some reviews, and you all seem to like it so much... however I may need some more convincing! I'm curious to see how you all can sell this series! Bring it!

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

ThirstyFlea wrote:

I'm glad you started this thread! I've never been drawn to this series before, but have glanced at some reviews, and you all seem to like it so much... however I may need some more convincing! I'm curious to see how you all can sell this series! Bring it!

OK, I guess threatening bodily harm wont work in this case, so I will try these...........

1) Harry is by far one of the wittiest characters out there. He will at times have you laughing so hard you will be crying.

2) This series has some of the best supporting characters. Bob being my favorite.

3) These book start out running. And the action never stops.

4) IMO....after 13 books this series has not gotten stale like some long running series have done. You can rest assure that you will be Wowed by each book.

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
B&N Bookseller
melissas

Jo, I love your reasons! I agree, thirteen books in and still no sign of drying up. And I also love the supporting characters. Seriously, mine is Mouse. :smileyvery-happy: Although Bob is extremely awesome in his own right.

I'll add:

1) I am in love with Harry Dresden. Thank goodness he is a fictional character or I'd have left my husband after I started reading the books. :smileywink:

2) That said, I have a vested interest in Harry's love life...it is constantly changing. Once you think something's going to happen—boom—he's on a totally different path with some other woman (or no woman at all). I can't wait to see if anything has developed from Ghost Story...if you guys get what I'm hinting at. So, the tiny (and I stress tiny) bit of romance keeps my womanly sensibilities in line.

3) As an animal lover, I am delighted by the fact that Harry's pets are somewhat anthropomorphized. Who wouldn't love their dog to call their evil fairy godmother a bitch!?!

4) I have actually learned a lot about mythology, religion, history, and paranormal folklore. Butcher ranks right up there with Neil Gaiman when it comes to knowing a little bit about everything, and knowing how to work it brilliantly into his books.

5) I love that characters aren't just gone when a book is over. You never know if and when they'll show up again.

So, ThirstyFlea, I hope some of these reasons have intrigued you enough to get you to open up Storm Front. I'll be back with more reasons soon. Please let us know if you start reading!

Inspired Correspondent
Lineola

What isn't to love about Harry Dresden?

Let's see...some of mine:

* every book is tight and complete--you aren't left at the end of the book with a whole slew of hanging threads, annoyed that you have to wait 2 years to finish the story. They are satisfying in themselves.

* love an author that isn't afraid to kill off a character or two...keeps you on your toes

* the books manage to nod to romance while never ever making any book about romance or sex. Romantic that I am, I really get tired of series that end up loosing good plot to make a romance work

* there are so many amazing characters in these books--and they all manage to be so unique and true to their character

* somehow Jim Butcher manages to throw in so many hilarious nods to your favorite movies, books and current events without making you stumble as a reader.  there is a great thread through many of the books about lord of the rings and star wars.

* Harry is just the most sexy, self-depreciatating and freaking scary wizard around. I'm in love (don't tell my boyfriend.)  I mean really--he shoots fire from his hands, talks to himself, has a fairy godmother, and carries around a big Gandalf staff in the middle of Chicago-what more do you want?

Lineola

There is so much more, but really--if someone read three of the books and didn't like them, they are hopeless.  Start buying them Harlequins or something :smileyhappy: