paulgoatallen

Re: A Word A Day – Paranormal Fantasy Style

Zealous-Reader wrote:

Psychopomp-guide to the afterlife/underworld.

I get a lot of grief for reading paranormal, those people just don't understand the fun in pink, rabid bunnies.  No imagination what so ever. 

The term is eerily close to Psychopimp, which is a completely different kind of "guide"...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX

Is there any GOOD thing, akin to this, but - you know - without death involved? Could I possibly love the heck out of you and wish you the world while I'm buying you a pair of socks, and then each time you wear the socks you have the best day ever and you don't know why? Is there a term for energy like that? Can I leave good residue lying around (you know, that just doesn't sound right...)

Zack_Kullis wrote: 

Psycho Kinetic Energy: Energy residue left embedded into the surroundings after a death or tragic event has occurred, or a spiritual energy trapped by its surroundings or objects. 

PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Wordsmith
Zack_Kullis

That is a good question Penelope!!!

"Is there a term for energy like that? Can I leave good residue lying around (you know, that just doesn't sound right...)"

Personally, I have always called that kind of positive energy joojoo, but that is just me.  I did a little extra looking, and it looks like Psycho Kinetic Energy can refer to both positive and negative energy, so my post was a little off. 

As far as leaving good residue lying around, well, that sounds like it could be used in either the Paranormal Fantasy genre, or a more adult genre.    :smileywink:

Sic volvere Parcas...
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Thx Zack!
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Wordsmith
Zack_Kullis

Here are a few more.

Maschalismos:  the practice of physically rendering the dead incapable of rising or haunting the living in undead form.

Lich (Liche):  Cadaverous beings whose bodies are desiccated, or even completely skeletal, who achieve a perverse form of immortality and are usually much stronger as undead than they were when they were alive. Liches are often depicted as holding power over hordes of lesser undead creatures, using them as their soldiers and servants.   :smileysurprised:

Sic volvere Parcas...
Inspired Correspondent
gsryley
0 Kudos

I like joojoo or ju-ju.  I think Sammy Hagar has a song called Serious Juju.  It could be the theme song of this thread:smileyvery-happy:

~Gail~
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.”
Groucho Marx

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

gsryley wrote:

I like joojoo or ju-ju.  I think Sammy Hagar has a song called Serious Juju.  It could be the theme song of this thread:smileyvery-happy:

I've also seen it spelled Jou-Jou. Which if you credit it as a creole or french inspired word is correct. 

Frequent Contributor
Morwaul

Bureaucromancer - A wizardly cleark or bureaucrat.  (Likely a slimey evil person to boot)

From Jim Butcher, Turn Coat

---------------------------------------------------
The One in every crowd.
Wordsmith
Paula717
0 Kudos

Zealous-Reader wrote:

Psychopomp-guide to the afterlife/underworld.

I get a lot of grief for reading paranormal, those people just don't understand the fun in pink, rabid bunnies.  No imagination what so ever. 

I can relate. I get grief from time to time as well. Their problem is, they have absolutely no imagination and we may have just a tad too much. Yippee for us!!  :smileytongue:
To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting. - Edmund Burke
Author
KatRichardson

Lych/Lich/Liche is originally from the Celtic and means "corpse."  Many churchyards in Great Britain have lichgates: double gates in the churchyard fence/wall with a roof where the coffin or wrapped corpse could wait and stay dry while the service at graveside was completed or the grave dug. Obviously a corpse that has come under a bad magical influence or which is the remains of a person with ties to magic (especially dark magic) may not lie down easily.  And the lichgate, being on sanctified ground but enclosed without being in the church itself, was also a place where evil spirits would be contained if the lich was less than ready to "sleep with God."

Here are a couple more fun words for you:

Psychometery--the ability to gather information about the owner or recent-user of an object through emotional or psychic emanations from the object.  Usually accomplished by holding the object while in psychically receptive state.

Retrocognate--to experience or gather information about the past through contact with a location or object with ties to the time period in question.  (From the roots "retro" meaning past, and "cognate" meaning knowledge.

Kat Richardson
http://katrichardson.com/
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

KatRichardson wrote:

Lych/Lich/Liche is originally from the Celtic and means "corpse."  Many churchyards in Great Britain have lichgates: double gates in the churchyard fence/wall with a roof where the coffin or wrapped corpse could wait and stay dry while the service at graveside was completed or the grave dug. Obviously a corpse that has come under a bad magical influence or which is the remains of a person with ties to magic (especially dark magic) may not lie down easily.  And the lichgate, being on sanctified ground but enclosed without being in the church itself, was also a place where evil spirits would be contained if the lich was less than ready to "sleep with God."

Kat:

You're the wind beneath my wings!  I've actually run across "lich" terms numerous times but I've never fully understand the usage. Thank you!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
rowenacherry
0 Kudos

Speciesism: like racism, but between different sentient species

Rowena Cherry
Heroines get more (hero) than they bargain for...
http://www.rowenacherry.com

"entertaining, elegantly written" ~ Robin Wayne Bailey
Frequent Contributor
rowenacherry

In my part of Britain, we called them Lynch gates.  Here is a link to a painting of one.
http://goldenagepaintings.blogspot.com/2008/10/david-bates-lynch-gate.html 

KatRichardson wrote:

Here are a couple more fun words for you:

Psychometery--the ability to gather information about the owner or recent-user of an object through emotional or psychic emanations from the object.  Usually accomplished by holding the object while in psychically receptive state.

Retrocognate--to experience or gather information about the past through contact with a location or object with ties to the time period in question.  (From the roots "retro" meaning past, and "cognate" meaning knowledge.

Rowena Cherry

Author
KatRichardson
0 Kudos

rowenacherry wrote:
In my part of Britain, we called them Lynch gates.  Here is a link to a painting of one.
http://goldenagepaintings.blogspot.com/2008/10/david-bates-lynch-gate.html 

Being a sloppy speller, I forgot that the "litch" spelling is probably more common than without the T.  I've never seen "lynchgate," before.  Cool!

Kat Richardson
http://katrichardson.com/
New User
witchy-woman

Paul if you don't want to use Suck it, you could try Ingurgitate Enthusiastically.

You are my hero!!! I would love to review books for a living. I have to work to pay for my book addiction. I have yet to find a bibliophile support group. I imagine that what may start out as a support group turns into a book group (in person or on line). I can not help that I suffer from excessive mental resourcefulness or good imagination for those linear thinkers out there.

How do I get a job like yours?:smileywink:

Don't make me call out my flying monkeys!
paulgoatallen

witchy-woman wrote:

Paul if you don't want to use Suck it, you could try Ingurgitate Enthusiastically.

You are my hero!!! I would love to review books for a living. I have to work to pay for my book addiction. I have yet to find a bibliophile support group. I imagine that what may start out as a support group turns into a book group (in person or on line). I can not help that I suffer from excessive mental resourcefulness or good imagination for those linear thinkers out there.

How do I get a job like yours?:smileywink:

Wow.....ingurgitate enthusiastically. I really like that! It seems like you're a natural to become a book reviewer.    :smileyhappy:

Paul 

Frequent Contributor
rowenacherry
0 Kudos

Bibliophile support group Re: A Word A Day – Paranormal Fantasy Style

Witchy woman,

There is a group on GoodReads.com which you might enjoy as a supplement to your membership here. It's the Language and Grammar Group.

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2740.Language_Grammar

Best wishes,

Rowena

Rowena Cherry

Frequent Contributor
Paranormal77
0 Kudos

Re: Bibliophile support group Re: A Word A Day – Paranormal Fantasy Style

Ok I really like this forum.  When reading the Anita Blake series there are some french phrases that are used.  I have googled the term Ma Petite but have found several responses.  I think that it means in the novel, my little one but I am not sure.  Any ideas?
~Paranormal 77
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" - Sherlock Homes
Frequent Contributor
PamelaKKinneyPK
0 Kudos

First, I would ignore the ignoramuses, especially if they don't read anything at all. If paranormal didn't see, then I woudn't be making money from my nonfiction ghost books. Same goes, for the urban fantasies and paranormals and horrors out there. My opinion: write what you want to write and even read. Maybe they're jealous of you?

urban legends: Myths told in modern society, in cities or online, unlike many of the old tales set in the countryside.

myth: A sacred or traditional story that concerns the origins of the world or how the world and the creatures in it came to be in their present form. Myths serves to unfold a part of the world view of a people, or explain a practice, belief, or natural phenomenon. Parables and allegories are myths.

legend: (Latin, legenda, "things to be read") is a narrative of human actions told about someone that existed in reality, once upon a time, but the true events have been twisted, making them more fascinating.

paranormal: of or pertaining to the claimed occurrence of an event or perception without scientific explanation, as psychokinesis, extrasensory perception, or other purportedly supernatural phenomena.

psychokinesis: the purported ability to move or deform inanimate objects, as metal spoons, through mental processes. Also called telekinesis.

anagogic: secret, esoteric, hidden
preternatural: unusual, abnormal. Greatly exceeding or departing from the normal course of nature.
urban legends: Myths told in modern society, in cities or online, unlike many of the old tales set in the countryside.

myth: A sacred or traditional story that concerns the origins of the world or how the world and the creatures in it came to be in their present form. Myths serves to unfold a part of the world view of a people, or explain a practice, belief, or natural phenomenon. Parables and allegories are myths.

legend: (Latin, legenda, "things to be read") is a narrative of human actions told about someone that existed in reality, once upon a time, but the true events have been twisted, making them more fascinating.

paranormal: of or pertaining to the claimed occurrence of an event or perception without scientific explanation, as psychokinesis, extrasensory perception, or other purportedly supernatural phenomena.

psychokinesis: the purported ability to move or deform inanimate objects, as metal spoons, through mental processes. Also called telekinesis.

anagogic: secret, esoteric, hidden
preternatural: unusual, abnormal. Greatly exceeding or departing from the normal course of nature.
transcendental: extraordinary, superior.

Pamela K. Kinney
http://FantasticDreams.50megs.com
http://www.myspace.com/PamelaKKinney
http://PamelaKKinney.blogspot.com

Be prepared to take a journey into Pamela K. Kinney's fantastic dreams of horror, science fiction and fantasy, plus the ghosts and legends of two nonfiction ghost book, Haunted Richmond, Virginia and Haunted Virginia: Legends, Myths and True Tales.

Go beyond the usual, instead take the unusual that stretches the boundaries and find romance with Sapphire Phelan's aliens, werewolves, vampires, fairies, and other supernatural/otherworldly heroes and heroines.
Available now: from Phaze Books: the erotic urban fantasy, Being Familiar With a Witch:
Tina doesn't know she's a witch. It will take Charun, her demon Familiar, to convince her to make love with him and let loose her witch powers.
For if she doesn't, then with the demon army about to bring Armageddon to the Mortal Realm on Halloween, she won't stand a chance in Hell.

Pamela K. Kinney is an author of published horror, science fiction, fantasy, horror, poetry, and the nonfiction book, Haunted Richmond, Virginia, published by Schiffer Publishing, along with Haunted Virginia: Legends, Myths and True Tales coming fall 2009 from Schiffer Publishing, too. Using the pseudonym, Sapphire Phelan, she has published erotic and sweet paranormal/fantasy/science fiction romance, along with poetry and couple of erotic horror stories, one, a Lovecraftian novella, Unwitting Sacrifice, published by Under the Moon, now available. She also has done acting on stage and in films, plus is a costumer. Find out more about her at: http://FantasticDreams.50megs.com or at either of her MySpaces: http://www.myspace.com/PamelaKKinney and http://www.myspace.com/SapphirePhelan.
Frequent Contributor
PamelaKKinneyPK
0 Kudos

I think my dear or my sweet in French. Form of endearment. I could be wrong.

I have googled the term Ma Petite but have found several responses.  I think that it means in the novel, my little one but I am not sure.  Any ideas?

Pamela K. Kinney is an author of published horror, science fiction, fantasy, horror, poetry, and the nonfiction book, Haunted Richmond, Virginia, published by Schiffer Publishing, along with Haunted Virginia: Legends, Myths and True Tales coming fall 2009 from Schiffer Publishing, too. Using the pseudonym, Sapphire Phelan, she has published erotic and sweet paranormal/fantasy/science fiction romance, along with poetry and couple of erotic horror stories, one, a Lovecraftian novella, Unwitting Sacrifice, published by Under the Moon, now available. She also has done acting on stage and in films, plus is a costumer. Find out more about her at: http://FantasticDreams.50megs.com or at either of her MySpaces: http://www.myspace.com/PamelaKKinney and http://www.myspace.com/SapphirePhelan.