Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen

A Word A Day – Paranormal Fantasy Style

Okay, I get a lot of crap from some people when they find out that I review genre fiction and specialize in SF, fantasy and paranormal fantasy. "That stuff is garbage," "What kind of person reads paranormal fantasy?", "It's empty calories" .... I've heard it all and I have to confess, it really burns my butt. There's some amazingly profound paranormal fantasy out there – just read Kim Harrison's last novel White Witch, Black Curse and tell me that's fluff! Most of the people who joke about my career – HAVE NEVER READ A SINGLE PARANORMAL FANTASY! Some of them probably don't even read books on a regular basis...

So I came up with a plan. A plan to crush the fragile, eggshell intellects of all those who dare to mock paranormal fantasy. I'm going to start a thread where we can share Big Words pertaining to paranormal fantasy along with the definitions – kind of like A Word A Day calendar for paranormal fantasy fans. I figured the more big words I can throw at these people, the quicker they'll realize paranormal fantasy isn't literary fluff. Sound like a plan? Okay, let me start off with a relatively easy one...

Lycanthropic – having characteristics associated with  lycanthropy, which is the ability to turn into a wolf.

Help me out, people – if you know of any multisyllabic words pertaining to paranormal fantasy, let's share the knowledge! 

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Correspondent
ReaderGal74

Re: A Word A Day – Paranormal Fantasy Style

Okay here goes.  And this courtesy of Mr. JF Lewis from his book Staked.  I had to look this word up because I had never seen it before.

Therianthropy - part man, part beast.  Refers to the metamorphosis of humans into other animals. Common forms of therianthropy are lycanthropy.

Books...Never leave home without them
Author
JayeWells

Cool idea!

Exsanguination: draining an animal or person of blood.  Also a risk for those who mock genre fiction. 

Jaye 

www.jayewells.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

Great idea, Paul! I'm going to have to think about this one...
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Fantastic! Also, a good cheat sheet for those of us just starting out. A dictionary of terms we need. I often find myself asking one of you for a clarification of terms; now, hocus pocus, here they all will be! 
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

JayeWells wrote:

Cool idea!

Exsanguination: draining an animal or person of blood.  Also a risk for those who mock genre fiction. 

Jaye 

Jaye:

What a perfect word! Now if I could only pronounce it properly... :smileywink:

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Author
M_Pelegrimas

How about this one?

Necromancy - The practice, through ritual or pseudo-scientific means, of raising the dead or animating previously dead tissue. Also, the practice of raising a "dead" genre through new ideas or storylines instead of settling for the same old stuff.

or

Suck it -  What Paul should tell those people who make fun of his job or this genre.

"The skulls...the bodies...you give it all such a glow. I don't know if it's art, but I like it!"
paulgoatallen

[ Edited ]

M_Pelegrimas wrote:

How about this one?

Necromancy - The practice, through ritual or pseudo-scientific means, of raising the dead or animating previously dead tissue. Also, the practice of raising a "dead" genre through new ideas or storylines instead of settling for the same old stuff.

or

Suck it -  What Paul should tell those people who make fun of his job or this genre.

Marcus:

Hey, I love Suck It! Is that Latin?    :smileywink:

Here's a little tangential tidbit for my friends. As a book reviewer, I sometimes feel the need the include borderline vulgar figures of speech – like "suck it" – and in most cases I just can't do it. In early 2004, I used "when the defecation hits the rotating oscillator" in a review for Adam Connell's Counterfeit Kings  and the response I got from the author, his publisher, and readers of B&N's Explorations (that's where it appeared) was fantastic! They loved it – and although it wasn't vulgar, it expressed what I wanted perfectly....

So  how can we make Suck It less vulgar but still capture the essence of the term and maybe even throw in a little paranormal fantasy humor? Hmmm...... Maybe a little vampire attitude – Bite Me, Suck Off...

Hey, I know! We could informally call this forum the SuccuBus! "Hop on the SuccuBus, Gus!"

Sorry, I've been drinking ALOT of coffee today...

Paul 

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 04-06-2009 08:32 PM
Distinguished Correspondent
ReaderGal74
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

So  how can we make Suck It less vulgar but still capture the essence of the term and maybe even throw in a little paranormal fantasy humor? Hmmm...... Maybe a little vampire attitude – Bite Me, Suck Off...

Hey, I know! We could informally call this forum the SuccuBus! "Hop on the SuccuBus, Gus!"

Paul 

Okay....this also tickled my funny bone so I will try less vulgar definition of suck it.

Suck it - Establish a partial vacuum upon an unspecified object

I love SuccuBus...that is hilarious.

And gotta love coffee and there is nneeverr suckck such a thinng as tooo much cooffee.  No way.

Books...Never leave home without them
Author
M_Pelegrimas
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul 

Is it me or does Suck off sound worse? Leave it to me to derail a perfectly good post. I suppose that's my little trick. Hey, there you go. I'll re-rail it....

Cantrip -  a mischievous trick or prank supposedly carried out by means of magic.

I like the SuccuBus, though. Can I use that?

Marcus

"The skulls...the bodies...you give it all such a glow. I don't know if it's art, but I like it!"
Correspondent
NenetRN
0 Kudos

JayeWells wrote:

Cool idea!

Jaye 

I like this one.... I just exsanguinated someone (a little bit) before i left work this morning!
* BE NICE TO EVERYONE! THEY MIGHT BE YOUR NURSE SOMEDAY *
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

M_Pelegrimas wrote:

I like the SuccuBus, though. Can I use that?

Marcus:

Of course! Just give me props on the acknowledgements page!   :smileywink:

Paul 

Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX

'Scuse me,

Does the SuccuBus take you to Crazy? Is it too late to get a ticket? Any stops along the way? 

PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Author
JFLewis

Here's one that I enjoy:   

Horripilation...

When your hair stands on end and you get the goosebumps, you are experiencing horripilation.

I think all urban fantasy authors hope to cause their readers to horripilate at least once each novel.  :smileyhappy:

"In the end, a friendship between a vampire and a human is like a friendship between a dog and a chicken nugget... the only real question is how many bites it will take." - Staked by J. F. Lewis
---
My Books: Staked, ReVamped, CrossedBurned, My Blog: WTF, My Website: Author At Large
paulgoatallen

PenelopeTX wrote:

'Scuse me,

Does the SuccuBus take you to Crazy? Is it too late to get a ticket? Any stops along the way? 

Come on board, Penelope – we've been expecting you....   :smileywink:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic

[ Edited ]

One vampire book I read used the term "obligate hematophagy"- subsisting soley on blood.

EDIT: It appears to be The Society of S, by Susan Hubbard.

Message Edited by Raven_Lunatic on 04-07-2009 08:15 PM
Wordsmith
Zack_Kullis

Yeah baby!!!

This is a GREAT thread!!!  I can see where this discussion could lead to all kinds of good stuff!!!  It will be a literary buffet!   :smileyvery-happy:

These have been great!!!

Channeling:  The process by which a medium allows a spirit to communicate through his/her person.  Not to be confused with Possession, which is involuntary and usually antagonistic.

Psycho Kinetic Energy: Energy residue left embedded into the surroundings after a death or tragic event has occurred, or a spiritual energy trapped by its surroundings or objects.

Zombie:  There are two ideas behind the zombie.  The first, and the kind we all know and love, is an animated corpse that usually has an appetite for flesh.  The second, which gave rise to zombies as we see them, comes from Voodoo (or Voudon as it is properly called).  Voudon is usually evil sorcery or dark magik, and there have been many sightings of people that were thought to have been dead that had actually risen at the bidding of a voudon priest/priestess.   

Sic volvere Parcas...
paulgoatallen

My personal favorite so far has been Jaye's suggestion – Exsanguination: draining an animal or person of blood.
Don't laught but I've been practicing saying it so when the time comes I can smoothly drop this into conversation like a weapon of mass destruction!     :smileyhappy:
Paul 

Contributor
Zealous-Reader

Psychopomp-guide to the afterlife/underworld.

I get a lot of grief for reading paranormal, those people just don't understand the fun in pink, rabid bunnies.  No imagination what so ever. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

"Psychopomp" is one of my favorites, too.