Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
JFLewis
0 Kudos

Re: APRIL FEATURE #1: ReVamped by J.F. Lewis

paulgoatallen wrote:

Jeremy:

Love the new Staked cover art – it really is fantastic! Hey, it's been a few days since I finished reading your novels and I just wanted to let you know that my feelings are still the same. I really enjoy your writing style and still stand by what what said about you and your series.

That said, I'd like to know if you have any writing goals that don't involve paranormal fantasy? I imagine you'd like to see the Void City saga go to hardcover, have a long, healthy run of a dozen or so installments... but have you ever thought about writing, say, a crime fiction novel or something that don't involve paranormal conventions? Just wondering...

Paul 

A crime novel?  Hmmm...  As you may have guessed, I'm a big fan of Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett.  The whole noir style detective novel genre really appeals to me, in fact, I have an outline of one around here somewhere, though I'd have to admit that it had a definite paranormal bent.  That said, if a publisher wanted me to write one without the paranormal in it, I could probably come up with something.  :smileywink:

Regarding other genres though... I have finished the first book in a suggested epic fantasy series, and Shawna is shopping it around for me.  I describe it as Clash of Titans meets Lord of the Rings with a healthy dash of Spartacus.  One of the folks in my writing group refers to it as my Very Carnivorous Elves series.  I'm also working on a sci-fi novel off and on between Void City books.  It's probably the most ambitious book I've ever attempted:  kind of Chronicles of Riddick meets The Philidelphia Story and Terminator.

Branching out within the Void City universe, I've sent in three chapters and an outline for a series set in the same universe, but revolving around a mage.  He not a private detective, but his particular speciality tends to cause its own unique opportunities for mayhem.  In a lot of ways, he's kind of the anti-Eric.

I guess you could say that, like most writers, finding ideas to write about has never been a problem of mine.  Finding time to write about them all, though... and knowing when to work on what... that's the kicker.

"In the end, a friendship between a vampire and a human is like a friendship between a dog and a chicken nugget... the only real question is how many bites it will take." - Staked by J. F. Lewis
---
My Books: Staked, ReVamped, CrossedBurned, My Blog: WTF, My Website: Author At Large
Distinguished Correspondent
ReaderGal74
0 Kudos

Re: APRIL FEATURE #1: ReVamped by J.F. Lewis

JFLewis wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Jeremy:

Love the new Staked cover art – it really is fantastic! Hey, it's been a few days since I finished reading your novels and I just wanted to let you know that my feelings are still the same. I really enjoy your writing style and still stand by what what said about you and your series.

That said, I'd like to know if you have any writing goals that don't involve paranormal fantasy? I imagine you'd like to see the Void City saga go to hardcover, have a long, healthy run of a dozen or so installments... but have you ever thought about writing, say, a crime fiction novel or something that don't involve paranormal conventions? Just wondering...

Paul 

A crime novel?  Hmmm...  As you may have guessed, I'm a big fan of Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett.  The whole noir style detective novel genre really appeals to me, in fact, I have an outline of one around here somewhere, though I'd have to admit that it had a definite paranormal bent.  That said, if a publisher wanted me to write one without the paranormal in it, I could probably come up with something.  :smileywink:

Regarding other genres though... I have finished the first book in a suggested epic fantasy series, and Shawna is shopping it around for me.  I describe it as Clash of Titans meets Lord of the Rings with a healthy dash of Spartacus.  One of the folks in my writing group refers to it as my Very Carnivorous Elves series.  I'm also working on a sci-fi novel off and on between Void City books.  It's probably the most ambitious book I've ever attempted:  kind of Chronicles of Riddick meets The Philidelphia Story and Terminator.

Branching out within the Void City universe, I've sent in three chapters and an outline for a series set in the same universe, but revolving around a mage.  He not a private detective, but his particular speciality tends to cause its own unique opportunities for mayhem.  In a lot of ways, he's kind of the anti-Eric.

I guess you could say that, like most writers, finding ideas to write about has never been a problem of mine.  Finding time to write about them all, though... and knowing when to work on what... that's the kicker.

K...you had me at Clash of the Titans.  That is one of the first "adult" movies that I remember my parents allowing me to watch.  I think it was really the movie that started me on the path the the mythological side of the universe.  And then again, you had me at Chronicals of Riddick...yum.

That brings up a question in general that I have.  I know that more authors are branching out into other areas or actually started writing in other areas before a specific series made them popular.  How do you feel about spreading all of your ideas around into other genres? 

I know for myself it was hard to get into Jim Butchers "Codex" series, it didn't grab me like Harry did, or even Laurell Hamiliton's Nightseer series.  Now I am worried about Kim Harrison and her new YA series and that I won't like it as much because I guess I have seen a trend. 

Books...Never leave home without them
Author
JFLewis

Re: APRIL FEATURE #1: ReVamped by JP. Lewis

Retrograded wrote:

K..Ooh had me at Clash of the Titans.  That is one of the first "adult" movies that I remember my parents allowing me to watch.  I think it was really the movie that started me on the path the the mythological side of the universe.  And then again, you had me at Chronically of Ridding..Mum.

That brings up a question in general that I have.  I know that more authors are branching out into other areas or actually started writing in other areas before a specific series made them popular.  How do you feel about spreading all of your ideas around into other genres? 

I know for myself it was hard to get into Jim Butchers "Codex" series, it didn't grab me like Harry did, or even Laurel Humiliation's Nightshirt series.  Now I am worried about Kim Harrison and her new WAY series and that I won't like it as much because I guess I have seen a trend. 

That's an interesting question and here's advance warning... I'm going to totally over answer it. 

The Short Answer:  I don't really think about it much.  If I have an idea, I try to see if it can fit in the Void City universe or be done as an Urban Fantasy, but if it can't then I may not work on it immediately since Urban Fantasy is what folks want from J. F. Lewis right now.  When I got started, I was trying to write very family-friendly WAY stuff.  No one bought it... so I wrote Staked.

The Long Answer:  So... really, I suppose I think about it a lot.  

I have plenty of ideas that simply won't work with Eric or Void City.  My Devil Dinosaur idea, for example, (Yes, I want to write comic books, too...) would only work for Marvel Comics because they own the characters.  Since it's a reimagining of the characters, I could theoretically make changes to the idea and do it as a something else, but the idea grew out of a love for Jack Kirby's characters and a way to update them for the modern comics market, so the desire to use the concept for anything other than Devil Dinosaur doesn't really do anything for me and it makes the whole idea a lot less fun if it's not in the Marvel Universe.

Why yes... I am a comic geek.  :smileywink:

But back to the question... I don't think too much about spreading my ideas into other markets until after I've taken notes on the idea and done a little prewriting.  

When I get an idea either for a novel, short story, comic book, etc I do one of two things.  If I'm not sure what I want to do with it, I open the idea file on my pc and make a note of it.... and then I leave it alone.  If it's a strong idea, I'll be drawn back to it.  If I think it's a novel, I usually create a new folder for it and do some prewriting. 

I do the prewriting for three basic reasons:

1)  Viability:  Can I even write something based on the idea or is it just an amusing thought that isn't mature yet?  Does it work for me?  Does it have a unique voice?  Does it feel like something I'll actually want to spend time on?  Do I have the time to spend on it right now?  I have to answer all those questions before I know what to do with the idea.

2)  Identification:  What kind of idea is it?  Where does it fit?  Is it urban fantasy?  Can it fit in Void City?  Is it a short story or a novel?

3)  Memory:  If it's a short story, I tend to go ahead and write a first draft over the next few days.  If it's a novel, I have to write enough down so that I can remember the idea and recapture the voice.  For my epic fantasy idea, the initial prewrite was a ten or fifteen page world notebook outlining the races and the pantheon, a hastily drawn map of the world, and short scene (Maybe 1,000 words) which doesn't actually appear in the novel, but was written to capture the idea of the central conflict so that I'd remember key things about it.  For my sci-fi idea, the prewrite is a list of title ideas and about 15,000 words... roughly 15% of the book, and a playlist.

Once I've done all that, I ask myself... will my agent like it?  Can she sell it?  Are books like this selling right now and (lately) does this feel like a book J. F. Lewis would write (I still remember how much it stunned me to be told at one point in the editing process for ReVamped that my first sentence was not a J. F. Lewis first sentence... Jen was right, but it was still an interesting concept).   Will the folks who liked Staked and ReVamped like this, too or should I consider a pseudonym?

"In the end, a friendship between a vampire and a human is like a friendship between a dog and a chicken nugget... the only real question is how many bites it will take." - Staked by J. F. Lewis
---
My Books: Staked, ReVamped, CrossedBurned, My Blog: WTF, My Website: Author At Large
Distinguished Correspondent
ReaderGal74
0 Kudos

Excellent.  Well I hope that you have more books coming soon because I really enjoyed your writing.
Books...Never leave home without them
New User
eyes_hazel17
0 Kudos

I just read staked and revamped, they were AMAZING!  It was a stroke a luck really.  I was meandering at borders, just bored, looking for something to catch my attention.  Feeling that I had read everything thing worth reading (which I know isn't true) when I noticed revamped.  Just judging by the cover, which I put a lot of stock in I felt I had to be really desperate (no offense).  I figured it was probably similar to books written by Patricia Briggs, or Kim Harrison.  Female protagonist who think there bad-asses who always get saved by a knight in shining armor, and aren't capable of doing anything on there own (well written books but tiring and infuriating).  I didn't buy it then.  I looked up Staked on the computer and used it was $1.50 before shipping.  I actually didn't think I'd have to pay the shipping since I was at borders until after I already filled out the address info, if I had I'm sure I wouldn't have bought it.  A week later it came in the mail, and I was glad more for not getting stiffed then actually anticipation to read.  I didn't even open the package right away , threw it on my dresser.  I opened my package 2 days later and read the book in one sitting.  It was AMAZING, blew me away.  Bought revamped the next day read that straight through too. For me in two days this no name J.F. Lewis became a favorite, up there with E. Paul Wilson, and Jim Butcher.  Bravo I say, and Thank You.