Inspired Wordsmith
FaeryQueen

Author signings/events

Okay, I didn't know where to post this, so Im making a new thread.  If you guys want to keep this going, we can post signing events in our areas to get the word out, and maybe run into each other IRL. 

I've been jumping up and down since I stumbled across this little bit of news and just had to share it.....

PATRICIA BRIGGS IS COMING TO CHARLOTTE!!!!  But wait, it gets better....so is CHARLAINE HARRIS!!!

Can you tell I'm excited??  

Patricia Briggs will be at the B&N store at The Arboretum on March 15.  The signing starts at 7pm.   More Info

Charlaine Harris will be at the same B&N on May 6.  The signing starts at 3 pm.  More Info

If you are anywhere in the Charlotte, NC area, come on out.  I will definately be there!

Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson
0 Kudos

Re: Author signings/events

I'm so jealous!  If I was still in GA I would be traveling to join you in a heartbeat.  Unfortunately, still in CO.  :smileysad::smileysad::smileysad:

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren

Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson
0 Kudos

So inspired by my rampant Jealousy of FairyQueen :smileywink: I decided to check and see what I could find here in Denver and while Charlaine Harris will not be here in 2012, Patricia Briggs will be here in March for those who are interested :smileyvery-happy:  .  Here is the info...

Presentation & Booksigning: Patricia Briggs

March 8, 2012

Patricia Briggs, the 'New York Times' bestselling author of the "Mercy Thompson" and "Alpha and Omega" urban fantasy series, as well as several high fantasy series and many other books, will discuss and sign her new Alpha and Omega book "Fair Game". Free numbered tickets for a place in line for the booksigning will be handed out at 6:30 pm. Seating for the presentation prior to the booksigning is limited, and available on a first-come, first-served basis to ticketed customers only

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren

Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson
0 Kudos

What can I say...I'm on the hunt for my favorite authors and when they'll be in Denver...

Kim Harrison

Denver, CO:
Friday, March 2: Tattered Cover 7:30 pm

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yeah...I'm in Canada and any time an author is here...if they EVER are... its usually Toronto.  :-(

Kelly Armstrong was here once...that was cool.  :-)  But she IS Canadian after all, LOL!

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Just finished: Black Arts by Faith Hunter (Jane Yellowrock #7)
Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson
0 Kudos

Okay, so this might be a little OT, but it relates, I swear.  I am getting ready to go to the Book Signing by Kim Harrison this Friday (did I mention I am a little more than excited?) and it is my first time at one of these things.  Here is my quesiton...

I buy all my books in eBook format for my Nook. (I no longer have the space for books on the bookshelves) and have purchased most of the Hollows series in Ebook format.  But I would love to have her signature, so I was thinking of actually using my Nook Cover as a Signature Page for when I go to book signings.  My worry is that she or any author may find it rude or something that just isn't done.  Could anyone give me some insight if this would probably be acceptable or is it kind of taboo?

Thanks in advance for your Responses!

P.S. - Anyone else in Denver headed to the signing this Friday?

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

A_Wilson wrote:

Okay, so this might be a little OT, but it relates, I swear.  I am getting ready to go to the Book Signing by Kim Harrison this Friday (did I mention I am a little more than excited?) and it is my first time at one of these things.  Here is my quesiton...

I buy all my books in eBook format for my Nook. (I no longer have the space for books on the bookshelves) and have purchased most of the Hollows series in Ebook format.  But I would love to have her signature, so I was thinking of actually using my Nook Cover as a Signature Page for when I go to book signings.  My worry is that she or any author may find it rude or something that just isn't done.  Could anyone give me some insight if this would probably be acceptable or is it kind of taboo?

P.S. - Anyone else in Denver headed to the signing this Friday?

I saw a picture of someones Nook with back, full of author signatures. I don't remember if it was a post or article on the web. I do remember they said they could buy another back for the Nook when they filled one up with signatures. I think it sounds cool. So far for the few signings I have went to, I had the book. Let us know about the Kim Harrison signing.

Inspired Wordsmith
FaeryQueen

A_Wilson wrote:

Okay, so this might be a little TO, but it relates, I swear.  I am getting ready to go to the Book Signing by Kim Harrison this Friday (did I mention I am a little more than excited?) and it is my first time at one of these things.  Here is my quietist...

P.S.. - Anyone else in Denver headed to the signing this Friday?

You may want to check with the store..Some have policies that you have to buy something from them, especially the independent stores.  The events cost them money, so they need people to buy at least the newest book from them to make it worth it.  Every store is different and some authors have their own policies too...Check with the store and check the author's website for details.  Kim will usually personalize 2 items and just sign her name on the rest.  If there are a lot of people, you may be asked to get back in line if you have a lots of stuff to get signed.  

I know which authors live near me or consistently do signings near me, so I always check their websites to see what events they have planned.  I don't think Briggs travels much outside of the Northwest/Midwest so to see a signing in the Southeast, and my city and one of my fave B&N stores....made my week.  The only problem is Ill have to wait a week to get my hands on the book....

Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

FaeryQueen wrote:

A_Wilson wrote:

You may want to check with the store..Some have policies that you have to buy something from them, especially the independent stores.  The events cost them money, so they need people to buy at least the newest book from them to make it worth it.  Every store is different and some authors have their own policies too...Check with the store and check the author's website for details.  Kim will usually personalize 2 items and just sign her name on the rest.  If there are a lot of people, you may be asked to get back in line if you have a lots of stuff to get signed.  

I know which authors live near me or consistently do signings near me, so I always check their websites to see what events they have planned.  I don't think Briggs travels much outside of the Northwest/Midwest so to see a signing in the Southeast, and my city and one of my fave B&N stores....made my week.  The only problem is Ill have to wait a week to get my hands on the book....

FaeryQueen,

Thank you for the info.  I did call the bookstore and they told me what the restrictions are (none on their end, the two book personalization on her end, etc).  They didn't think she would have a problem with signing my Nook cover, but said to ask her about it. So I am looking forward to tomorrow with a happy heart. And Patricia Briggs is here next week! 

So glad that you made this inital post, it inspired me to see what was coming to the Bookstore near me.  (It is a little too easy to buy books from the armchair when you have a nook, and you kind of lose touch with what happens in the store).  It reminds me of why I would go to the bookstore in the first place, just to spend an evening.  Thanks for that!

Wordsmith
ThirstyFlea
0 Kudos

I just saw that there is a 2012 RT Booklovers Convention is in Chicago April 11 - 15, with tons of amazing authors scheduled to be there! I just moved to Chicago so I'd never heard of this, but if I can afford it, I'll try to go!!

It looks like every paranormal/UF author will be there! Some included in panels: Richelle Mead, Jeaniene Frost, Charlaine Harris  Christina Henry, Chloe Neill, Jeanne Stein, Karina Cooper, Pamela Palmer, Kerrelyn Sparks. For signings, too many to mention, but some are: Cat Adams, Ilona Andrews, Rachel Caine, Jennifer Estep, Yasmine Galenorn, Melissa Marr, Cynthia Hand, Molly Harper, etc. 

http://www.rtconvention.com/

At the same time (April 13 - 15), is the C2E2 (Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo) with Charlaine Harris, Chloe Neill, Jeaniene Frost, Kelley Armstrong, Kerrelyn Sparks, Rachel Caine, etc... This one is much more affordable, fewer authors I know, but includes comic, literary, and entertainment guests as well. I guess is basically a ComiCon. 

http://www.c2e2.com/

A book is a loaded gun in the house next door... Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
Frequent Contributor
Tm-Moore
0 Kudos

Well, I have a bit of bad news on my end. I was planning to do a signing at Mysterious Galaxy in Redondo Beach at the end of this month but the event's organizers got very strange about it and I was forced to cancel. It wasn't the bookstore's fault. Needless to say it ruined my schedule for the next six months.

I don't know when I will do another signing, but I suspect it will have to be under my own aegis instead of some organization. I don't know what happened, but communications got so bolixed up that it got taken out from under me like a tablecloth. In the effort to communicate more clearly I got somebody's feathers ruffled. Not to mention that it was breach of contract on their part.

RT convention looks very interesting and I will try to get there next year. But I have three books to finish and time is precious.

Theresa M. Moore
Author of the Children of The Dragon vampire series and other fiction/nonfiction books http://www.antellus.com/
dhaupt
0 Kudos

ThirstyFlea wrote:

I just saw that there is a 2012 RT Booklovers Convention is in Chicago April 11 - 15, with tons of amazing authors scheduled to be there! I just moved to Chicago so I'd never heard of this, but if I can afford it, I'll try to go!!

It looks like every paranormal/UF author will be there! Some included in panels: Richelle Mead, Jeaniene Frost, Charlaine Harris  Christina Henry, Chloe Neill, Jeanne Stein, Karina Cooper, Pamela Palmer, Kerrelyn Sparks. For signings, too many to mention, but some are: Cat Adams, Ilona Andrews, Rachel Caine, Jennifer Estep, Yasmine Galenorn, Melissa Marr, Cynthia Hand, Molly Harper, etc. 

http://www.rtconvention.com/

At the same time (April 13 - 15), is the C2E2 (Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo) with Charlaine Harris, Chloe Neill, Jeaniene Frost, Kelley Armstrong, Kerrelyn Sparks, Rachel Caine, etc... This one is much more affordable, fewer authors I know, but includes comic, literary, and entertainment guests as well. I guess is basically a ComiCon. 

http://www.c2e2.com/

Did you get to go to the convention thirsty flea

if so tell us about it, this was the last Chicago Convention for RT for a while next year it's in KC