Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

Blinded by White and Black Bookclubs Boards

[ Edited ]

The new white and black boards are blinding me! My vision is swimming, and the type appears very small. I truly hope this isn't the new board format, because I want to preserve my vision.

Paul, I'd appreciate it if you can pass on the message that the new white and black screens are deleterious to (my) vision.  

pen21

Re: Blinded by White and Black Bookclubs Boards

dalnewt wrote:

The new white and black boards are blinding me! My vision is swimming, and the type appears very small. I truly hope this isn't the new board format, because I want to preserve my vision.

Paul, I'd appreciate it if you can pass on the message that the new white and black screens are deleterious to (my) vision.  

I agree. I think we could use this as a flashlight.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238

I agree.  I usually don't mind white, but there is just too much of it and the contrast is too high.  It's so bright that it's hard for me to look at.  I hope something is done about it.

At least the font can be fixed.  Go to My Profile/Display & Privacy Settings/Display and scroll down a little and you can change the text setting for the forums.

Wordsmith
3monstersmom

I can't begin to express how much I hope this changes soon.  It is actually painful to look at this for more than a few minutes.   Ugh - my cornea's!

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

This website is making my eyes hurt. Too startling a color and the print is small. What about people who read in large print? I don't think we, as consumers need to change the font ourselves. B&N needs to correct that, not us.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
dalnewt

Yep,  the boards are making us snow blind. I don't know about you, but I'm wearing shades!

View Full Size Image

KathyS

dalnewt wrote:

Yep,  the boards are making us snow blind. I don't know about you, but I'm wearing shades!

View Full Size Image

Hi....cool shades...may I borrow them for a while?

thanks...Kathy

Wordsmith
3monstersmom

KathyS wrote:

dalnewt wrote:

View Full Size Image

thanks...Kathy

Well I guess we will be able to identify each other easier now.   Just look for the people typing on their computer wearing sunglasses inside and there is a good chance they are one of your fellow B&N forum members.  Personally I would of voted for wearing a secret pin or something (maybe a goat in honor of PGA) over the cornea burn for identifying fellow members.

KathyS

3monstersmom wrote:

KathyS wrote:

dalnewt wrote:

View Full Size Image

thanks...Kathy

Well I guess we will be able to identify each other easier now.   Just look for the people typing on their computer wearing sunglasses inside and there is a good chance they are one of your fellow B&N forum members.  Personally I would of voted for wearing a secret pin or something (maybe a goat in honor of PGA) over the cornea burn for identifying fellow members.

The Shaman I bought this goat pin from, said it might help....Or did you mean a coat?

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven

It's like leaving a darkened movie theater in mid-afternoon.

Derek Tatum
dalnewt

Re: White Blinded- Enlarging Your Bookclubs Type Size

[ Edited ]

Thanks to Nallia I changed the size of my type on the Bookclubs boards. I needed her instructions in a PM because I couldn't figure it out from her earlier post in this thread. So, in the spirit of passing along the favor, here's how to change your font size for the boards.

Instructions for Changing Bookclubs Type Font

(for technophobes like myself) 

• Sign In to the B&N Bookclubs (duh)
  • Look up at banner containing the B&N Community logo and click on 'My Profile"
  • On the screen that appears click on 'Display & Privacy Settings'
  • On the new screen that appears click on 'Display' which is situated right underneath 'Display and Privacy Settings'. 
  • On the brand new screen that appears scroll down to 'Text Size' and change it to a larger size. *I changed mine from 'Use Default (medium)' to Large.*
  • Then click on 'Save Changes' at the bottom of that same screen. 

View Full Size ImageP.S. I found some other "goat pin" options:

Item image This one's my favorite--a vintage pewter goat chimera! 

CR CO. ZODIAC CAPRICORN BROOCH PIN 12K GOLD FILLED For those who prefer feminine.

For those who prefer gaudy!
RARE DeNICOLA Glittery Zodiac Capricorn Pin
Disney Jumbo Horoscope Zodiac Capricorn Donald LE 300 Pin New

For those who just love Disney!

And, for those on a budget, here's a button!   Capricorn Button

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

I agree with you all...i hope B&N is listening...this is not user friendly.

paulgoatallen

Yeppers. I think I have to agree here. I was actually working the boards the second the change happened – it was like seeing God! – and initially I liked it, except for the tiny font. Maybe it was because it was really late at night and it perked me up a little. But, yes, now as I've been dealing with it for a few days, it is kind of like staring into the sun.

I do know that B&N is tweaking the boards to improve the user experience and that this will very likely be tweaked again soon. I am passing along this thread right now so maybe that will help!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen

Some pics of our regulars....

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Wordsmith
MADIS

Thanks for passing this on.  The site is giving me a headache.  I have been unplugging my laptop when I am on the book club pages since my screen brightness is significantly lower when I am using the battery to preserve power.  Still, this is not really a good long term solution.

dalnewt

Re: White Blinded by the Boards!

[ Edited ]

paulgoatallen wrote:

Thanks for passing along this thread, Paul.View Full Size Image 

Penn was right! The boards are like looking into a flashlight!

.View Image 

The little animal above is me on the boards w/out my shades.

Wordsmith
Sarah3973
0 Kudos

Re: White Blinded by the Boards!

Yes, thank you Paul.  

I'm wondering if B&N will be sending members free bottles of Excedrin Migraine to go along with this awful white. Each time I log on now, I can only look for a couple of minutes because the White Out conditions cause major squinting which leads to a major headache.  I keep my sunglasses in the car so I don't forget them. I have to drive to work, I don't have to be on these boards....which is unfortunately what it may come to.  This is just ridiculous.

Since this is at least the 3rd or 4th thread I've seen with complaints, my fingers are crossed that this will get tweaked soon.  

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen, Please have them change the white. It is too much. Use a softer color.

ReadingPatti

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

ReadingPatti wrote:

paulgoatallen, Please have them change the white. It is too much. Use a softer color.

ReadingPatti

I forwarded on all of these comments so we'll see what happens! (Writing this with sunglasses.....)   :smileywink:

Paul

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

LMAO, Paul those pictures are hilarious!  So at my age and the fact I wear glasses....I have these "floaty" things in the liquid of my eyes that, I'm told, are a normal part of aging.... but when staring at white screen especially, they tend to pop out even more so...and are annoying as hell!!

Yeah I agree, lets get rid of the white...  I'm getting a migraine!  :-(

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)