Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
JRC3
0 Kudos

Book Opinions

I think we should have one continuous message chain where we can ask questions about what a book is about, and what is a good book to read. So I'm going to start by asking if anyone has read Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout.

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

Re: Book Opinions

@JRC3:

It seems to me that there are already two long-running threads, "sticky-noted" to the top of this board, which already serve this purpose:  New and Recommended (http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Paranormal-Urban-Fantasy/New-and-Recommended/m-p/234472/messa...) and What are you currently reading? (http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Paranormal-Urban-Fantasy/What-are-you-currently-reading/m-p/1...).  It is easy for books to get lost in such long threads, however, so if you really want opinions about a particular book, series, or author, it's probably best to start a new thread just for that book, series, or author.

Just my opinion, though -

Author
BearMountainBooks-Maria
0 Kudos

Haven't read the book in question, FWIW.

Maria Schneider - My Nook Books
Wordsmith
3monstersmom
0 Kudos

Haven't read it myself YET, but it has gotten some really positive reviews. Let us know what you think of it if you end up reading it.
Frequent Contributor
JRC3
0 Kudos

Okay, so I read it after several tries to get it at the bookstore and on my nook. Luckily, I got it. And it was absolutely amazing! Jennifer Armentrout has to be my favorite author ever, and so I've gone on this book reading frenzy of hers. I'd already read "Half-Blood" and "Pure" from the Covenant series, and I just read "Obsidian" followed by the prequel "Shadows", and just today finished one of her adult books, which got a little grown up in parts, but was still absolutely amazing. Too bad it was really short. It's called "Tempting the Best Man". And now I'm trying to find her other adult book, called "Nephilim Rising". Man, for such an amazing writer, her stuff is extremely hard to find. And I still need to read the prequel to her Covenant series, "Daimon".

This is her Covenant series:

And these books are next in the series:

Frequent Contributor
JRC3
0 Kudos

Sorry, they wouldn't let me put any more on that page.

Lux Series:

Here's the second book coming out soon:

Frequent Contributor
JRC3
0 Kudos

And then here's Jennifer L. Armentrout as J. Lynn (her pen name for adult books):

Frequent Contributor
JRC3
0 Kudos

And so now, I have to ask those Iron Fey fans out there: the in-between books, "Winter's Passage" and "Summer's Clearing"...are they worth the read? I've read the series, and loved it, but haven't read these additions. Should I?

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

I read Obsidian. While I enjoyed it, I felt that it was a better written version of Twilight. Through the whole book, I felt like it was the exact same story, with aliens instead of sparkly vampires.
Frequent Contributor
JRC3
0 Kudos

Okay, so I just found out more about Jennifer L. Armentrout and J. Lynn that will hopefully clear up any confusion i brought (I tend to do that a lot):

Jennifer L. Amrentrout:

Onyx(Lux series 2)- August 14, 2012

Cursed- September 18, 2012

Deity(Covenant series 3)- November 6, 2012

Opal(Lux series 3)- December 3, 2012

Elixir(Covenant Novella)- Winter 2012/2013

Apollyon(Covenant 4)- Spring 2013

Don't Look Back- 2013

J. Lynn:

Unchained(Nephilim Rising series 1)-October 16, 2012

And the second Gamble Brothers book, Chad's story, she said on her blog is scheduled for late 2012

Wordsmith
3monstersmom
0 Kudos

JRC3 wrote:

And so now, I have to ask those Iron Fey fans out there: the in-between books, "Winter's Passage" and "Summer's Clearing"...are they worth the read? I've read the series, and loved it, but haven't read these additions. Should I?

I love this series and bought both of these on my nook when they came out.  They are good, but not a necessary read.  Would recommend only for the diehard fans of the series.

Frequent Contributor
JRC3
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip, maybe I'll read them if I don't have anything else to read which won't be for awhile! And I think that people are taking the whole Twilight thing too far. Every book is going to have something in common with it if you look closely enough! But not every book is going to be about it, and honestly, I couldn't finish the Twilight saga in a row because it was so boring and all about love. Not every romance book or vampire book, or book that starts with the word "The" is going to be a Twilight wanna-be! So just get over it, because it's really starting to become ridiculous. So save your breath because it's just pissing people off. And get a life outside of Twilight, I mean seriously, find a book without a personality-less Bella for God's sake!

Sorry for yelling, its just every book has at least two reviews that relate it to Twilight, which is really unnecessary, and makes me go, "Come on, are you KIDDING me right now?! How were they alike? The fact that their covers backgrounds' are both BLACK! Jeeez!"

Frequent Contributor
JRC3
0 Kudos

Okay, so who's read Stacey Jay's "Juliet Immortal"? Is it too much romance?

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238

[ Edited ]
First of all, I am in no way any kind of diehard Twilight fan. Personally, I think they were poorly written crap. Second, I have never, ever, compared a single book to Twilight before. Not one. That said, Obsidian felt, TO ME, like the exact same story set in a different place with different characters. Yes, I liked the book. I liked it way more than Twilight and thought it was much better written. That doesn't change my personal feelings about it. I felt that way through the entire reading. I could give you a huge list of reasons why I feel the way I do about the book, but what would be the point? You obviously are only interested in opinions that agree with your point of view.

Why on earth are you so defensive? You act like I kicked you when I did nothing but give my opinion, an opinion I am entitled to. If you don't agree, that's fine. But don't jump all over me for my personal feelings about it. The nastiness and insults were completely uncalled for. Next time keep them to yourself and accept that not everyone has to feel as you do about a book you like. You asked for opinions. If you only wanted a certain type of opinion, you shouldn't have bothered to ask what people think.
Frequent Contributor
JRC3
0 Kudos

Listen, I really am sorry, but do you see what I mean about everyone comparing things to Twilight? And I shouldn't have gotten on your back about it, that was uncalled for, so I'm sorry. Truly. Sorry.