Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
Lexa555

Re: Books I've Thrown Across The Room

lol Debbie that is because you also read a lot of romance and we come to expect a happy ending!

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
Inspired Wordsmith
FaeryQueen
0 Kudos

I thought of another one and like Debbie, I'll probably get hate mail for this one too.....

Now I didn't actually throw this one, cause dude it's was a big hardback and I didn't want to damage my wall or furniture, but I yelled in frustration at the ending.

Breaking Dawn 

I mean come on,  LAME ending to such a powerful series.  And I say powerful because of vast numbers of young adult that read the series.  I was already ticked at Bella's attitude in New Moon when Edward left, but I got it.  She's young and it was her first love.  We all act stupid at that age.  But please...I know I've said this elsewhere on the boards but the ending totally ticked me off.

Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

FaeryQueen wrote:

I thought of another one and like Debbie, I'll probably get hate mail for this one too.....

Now I didn't actually throw this one, cause dude it's was a big hardback and I didn't want to damage my wall or furniture, but I yelled in frustration at the ending.

Breaking Dawn 

I mean come on,  LAME ending to such a powerful series.  And I say powerful because of vast numbers of young adult that read the series.  I was already ticked at Bella's attitude in New Moon when Edward left, but I got it.  She's young and it was her first love.  We all act stupid at that age.  But please...I know I've said this elsewhere on the boards but the ending totally ticked me off.

The ending ticked me off for this book too. I liked the three books leading up to it and Eclipse is my favorite of the series and compared with the first three Breaking Dawn was such a let down. The storyline just became crazy and there were a lot of loose ends and she just kinda tried to wrap it up in a quick little package at the last few chapters and it wasn't as good as the books before. You invest time and money into a series and that was not the ending I was looking for.

Pages of Forbidden Love
Inspired Wordsmith
FaeryQueen
0 Kudos

Lexa555 wrote:

The ending ticked me off for this book too. I liked the three books leading up to it and Eclipse is my favorite of the series and compared with the first three Breaking Dawn was such a let down. The storyline just became crazy and there were a lot of loose ends and she just kinda tried to wrap it up in a quick little package at the last few chapters and it wasn't as good as the books before. You invest time and money into a series and that was not the ending I was looking for.

Thank you!  I always feel like a looser when people new to the genre rave about these books and I just go *ehh* They're Okay.  Then I steer them to all the other series we rave about in the boards.

Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

FaeryQueen wrote:

Lexa555 wrote:

Thank you!  I always feel like a looser when people new to the genre rave about these books and I just go *ehh* They're Okay.  Then I steer them to all the other series we rave about in the boards.

I completely agree with you, I think sometimes teenagers get stuck on a certain book or a certain type of book (cough vampires cough) and they don't ever break free to all of the other good books out there. Personally I'm also sick of all the BandNs having a whole huge table piled high with all the books and junk to go with it. I serious saw an edward umbrella at the bookstore a few days ago. The Twilight Saga has gotten way out of hand. The books are good but there is so many other great/good books out there. I can't even say that I really belong or fit in on this section of the boards because I most read romance with some YA books thrown in. Just giving my two cents though. :smileywink:

Pages of Forbidden Love
Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque

I may have been jinxed by reading this thread.  I read the the conversation and thoght jeez, just put it down silly!!. 

Then I checked out a little book, to pass the couple days before april when I could start on some books I am reading for book challenges. 

Anyway, I checked out

Naked Dragon 

Sounds good right!  I mean, Really, nice tattoo, nice looking "dragon" guy, light cute sounding plot line, what could go wrong.  

Well, I found out.  My goodness this was a reaally bad book.  I dont like to see people flame books, so I wont rave, but the descritions and plot and action were all so contrived feeling. 

And finally, calling a mans ummm, hmmmm a man lance over and over and over  and over and over was the final straw.  MANLANCE?  Really?  Maybe once in jest, but as if that is really a legit way of thinking and talking--well.  I didn't work and finally caused me to virtually (hey couldn't really indulge the urge due to it being a library book) throw it across the room! 

I would be interested to hear anyone talk about this in a good way.  I was just apalled. 

Dude, Where's my book!
Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

(sheepish grin and and shrug)  OK I guess I flamed and raved a little.  :smileysurprised:

Dude, Where's my book!
Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

Well, I went to the reader reviews and low and behold all the reviews are fabulous, 4-5 stars.  Geez, I guess that once again proves, each to their own.  Huh.  I better stick to the UF, horror, fantasy stuff huh.  Although sometimes I read stuff that is paranormal romance and really enjoy the ride. (so to speak). :smileytongue:

Dude, Where's my book!
Inspired Wordsmith
Sovereign_Queen

Manlance?  Seriously?
IMHO that's up there with "her wet purse" LOL
  Aparently someone compiled a list of male genetalia euphimisms used in romance novels and there's some really bad ones out there.  The funniest thing -- alot of the ones from the monty python song about...well...you know...are also on "the list."  LOL
~Suzi

lilithesque wrote:

And finally, calling a mans ummm, hmmmm a man lance over and over and over  and over and over was the final straw.  MANLANCE?  Really?  Maybe once in jest, but as if that is really a legit way of thinking and talking--well.

paulgoatallen

lilithesque wrote:

I may have been jinxed by reading this thread.  I read the the conversation and thoght jeez, just put it down silly!!. 

Then I checked out a little book, to pass the couple days before april when I could start on some books I am reading for book challenges. 

Anyway, I checked out

Naked Dragon 

Sounds good right!  I mean, Really, nice tattoo, nice looking "dragon" guy, light cute sounding plot line, what could go wrong.  

Well, I found out.  My goodness this was a reaally bad book.  I dont like to see people flame books, so I wont rave, but the descritions and plot and action were all so contrived feeling. 

And finally, calling a mans ummm, hmmmm a man lance over and over and over  and over and over was the final straw.  MANLANCE?  Really?  Maybe once in jest, but as if that is really a legit way of thinking and talking--well.  I didn't work and finally caused me to virtually (hey couldn't really indulge the urge due to it being a library book) throw it across the room! 

I would be interested to hear anyone talk about this in a good way.  I was just apalled. 

In light of the Sookie Stackhouse thread over in Paranormal, where we were discussing how Charlaine Harris' sex scenes aren't exactly erotic – this quote specifically:

"While I stood stock-still, paralyzed by conflicting waves of emotion, Eric took the soap out of my hands and lathered up his own, set the soap back in its little niche, and began to wash my arms, raising each in turn to stroke my armpit, down my side, never touching my breasts, which were practically quivering like puppies who wanted to be petted..."

Maybe we should start an "uber-cheesy sex scene descriptions" thread because "man lance" really is just ridiculous!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Wordsmith
Sovereign_Queen

paulgoatallen wrote:

Maybe we should start an "uber-cheesy sex scene descriptions" thread because "man lance" really is just ridiculous!

Paul

Please, Paul?  That could be great fun.

~Suzi

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear

Sovereign_Queen wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

~Suzi

Oh yes please. For all the one's we notice and those we somehow overlook.

paulgoatallen

TiggerBear wrote:

Sovereign_Queen wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

~Suzi

Oh yes please. For all the one's we notice and those we somehow overlook.

I'll start one on Monday, Tig – I'm going to bed now (to dream of puppies, no wait, yech!)

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

paulgoatallen wrote:

I'll start one on Monday, Tig – I'm going to bed now (to dream of puppies, no wait, yech!)

Paul

You are a baaaaad dog.

And over at romance you'll find lot's of fans who like cheezy sex scenes, some that like em hot and spicy and some like them on the sweet side.

But I have to admit Manlance, that's really cheezy.

Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

The thing is-- man lance was they way he referred to his own bodypart.  He wasnt having sex, or making sex talk.  He was often referring to said "lance" swelling in proximity to his true love, or swaying when he walked or the uheard of size of such lance-- but this was self talk, over and over and over.  I could see silly sextalk or something but this was soposed to be the way he thought of himself, to himself. 

Dude, Where's my book!
dhaupt

lilithesque wrote:

The thing is-- man lance was they way he referred to his own bodypart.  He wasnt having sex, or making sex talk.  He was often referring to said "lance" swelling in proximity to his true love, or swaying when he walked or the uheard of size of such lance-- but this was self talk, over and over and over.  I could see silly sextalk or something but this was soposed to be the way he thought of himself, to himself. 

Hmm, sounds like the guy was in love with his "manlance" and him talking about it I think makes it that more cheezy.

paulgoatallen

dhaupt wrote:

lilithesque wrote:

Hmm, sounds like the guy was in love with his "manlance" and him talking about it I think makes it that more cheezy.

http://preparednesspro.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/velveeta.jpg

Distinguished Correspondent
KeithMelton

The term “man lance” gives a whole new meaning to the sport of jousting.

No, don’t think about that too much.

Hold on, hold on. I want to try my newbie hand at the art of cheesy love scenes:

“His kisses left snail-trails of saliva along her skin--skin so smooth and polished it gleamed like linoleum after the wax and buffer. He stared into her eyes as his Eiffel Tower of Love strained at his jeans like an erector set possessed by the devil!”

(Notice I managed to include an exclamation point, which qualifies me for Extra Credit.)

Then there are classics like:

“He fit into her like Tab A into Slot B.”

To be fair to writers, coming up with new ways to describe familiar anatomy (and games indulged with aforementioned anatomy) can be quite challenging. Sometimes we can be a little TOO original. :smileyhappy:

Keith Melton
http://www.keithmelton.net
Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

KeithMelton wrote:

Hold on, hold on. I want to try my newbie hand at the art of cheesy love scenes:

“His kisses left snail-trails of saliva along her skin--skin so smooth and polished it gleamed like linoleum after the wax and buffer. He stared into her eyes as his Eiffel Tower of Love strained at his jeans like an erector set possessed by the devil!”

(Notice I managed to include an exclamation point, which qualifies me for Extra Credit.)

To be fair to writers, coming up with new ways to describe familiar anatomy (and games indulged with aforementioned anatomy) can be quite challenging. Sometimes we can be a little TOO original. :smileyhappy:

ROFLMAF.........oh my, thats too funny.

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

KeithMelton wrote:

Keith, I would love to post a picture here with your Big Cheeze award, but alas my MAC is not able to post pics. Maybe one of my co-conspirators could do it for me.