Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Re: Books I've Thrown Across The Room

Award for the Biggest Cheeze Whiz.

Does that work for you Debbie?

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

KeithMelton wrote:

The term “man lance” gives a whole new meaning to the sport of jousting.

No, don’t think about that too much.

Hold on, hold on. I want to try my newbie hand at the art of cheesy love scenes:

“His kisses left snail-trails of saliva along her skin--skin so smooth and polished it gleamed like linoleum after the wax and buffer. He stared into her eyes as his Eiffel Tower of Love strained at his jeans like an erector set possessed by the devil!”

(Notice I managed to include an exclamation point, which qualifies me for Extra Credit.)

Then there are classics like:

“He fit into her like Tab A into Slot B.”

To be fair to writers, coming up with new ways to describe familiar anatomy (and games indulged with aforementioned anatomy) can be quite challenging. Sometimes we can be a little TOO original. :smileyhappy:

Don't take this the wrong way, Keith, but I think I love you.     :smileywink:

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

I love the smell of Velveeta in the morning....

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Wordsmith
FaeryQueen
0 Kudos

KeithMelton wrote:

“His kisses left snail-trails of saliva along her skin--skin so smooth and polished it gleamed like linoleum after the wax and buffer. He stared into her eyes as his Eiffel Tower of Love strained at his jeans like an erector set possessed by the devil!”

LOL  What girl wouldn't want a man with an Eiffel Tower of Love!  Of course the erector set possessed by the devil is awesome.  Ever considered writing romance??

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

FaeryQueen wrote:

KeithMelton wrote:

LOL  What girl wouldn't want a man with an Eiffel Tower of Love!  Of course the erector set possessed by the devil is awesome.  Ever considered writing romance??

What about the Leaning Tower of Pisa?

Paul

http://blogs.nlb.gov.sg/ask/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/pisa.jpg

Wordsmith
3monstersmom
0 Kudos

Personally, I'm rooting for the Washington Monument.  I have always thought that was one of the most iconic images of "man power" we have.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the award pic pen, I love it.

And I only have one thing to say about it.

Oh the phallusy of it all :womanwink:

Inspired Contributor
sifu-hotman
0 Kudos

I've never thrown a book, but I can think of two that made me pretty upset:

(Well, not counting the First Look books)

Fool Moon (Dresden Files Series #2)  - First book I thought was okay, but with the second one, after the main character bragged about being this chivalrous gentleman and then calling a woman a bitch (for whatever reason) got me upset, and then all his female characters are just so bad. 

New Moon  - I didn't like the first book, but I powered through it. And then thought maybe the second one gets a bit better. I didn't get past page 3. 

Frequent Contributor
largerthanlife

i don't get violent with books very often, but i got this book from the thrift store (so in consequence i didn't do my normal background checks) and i just couldn't help myself.  The sad part is that i really liked parts of this book, the plot was good, and i could almost say it was worth the $2...

except: why in the world does Jes Battis feel the need to spend a page and a half on explination for ever single little techinal devise that is used.  I don't need that much information.  I don't want that much information.  And it ruins a perfectly good book when i have to chuck it halfway across the room, only to eventually pick it back up so i can just  get thru to the end of the stupid book.  If i wanted to know the inner workings of a machine i would pick up a stupid techinal book from the bookstore.  It is a story, so get on with the story already.

Ok, i feel better now that my little rant is done.

"Look, would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?"
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

sifu-hotman wrote:

I've never thrown a book, but I can think of two that made me pretty upset:

(Well, not counting the First Look books)

Fool Moon (Dresden Files Series #2)  - First book I thought was okay, but with the second one, after the main character bragged about being this chivalrous gentleman and then calling a woman a bitch (for whatever reason) got me upset, and then all his female characters are just so bad. 

New Moon  - I didn't like the first book, but I powered through it. And then thought maybe the second one gets a bit better. I didn't get past page 3. 

Wow...and I love The Dresden Files...  thought all the books were pretty good.  Huh

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

largerthanlife wrote:

i don't get violent with books very often, but i got this book from the thrift store (so in consequence i didn't do my normal background checks) and i just couldn't help myself.  The sad part is that i really liked parts of this book, the plot was good, and i could almost say it was worth the $2...

except: why in the world does Jes Battis feel the need to spend a page and a half on explination for ever single little techinal devise that is used.  I don't need that much information.  I don't want that much information.  And it ruins a perfectly good book when i have to chuck it halfway across the room, only to eventually pick it back up so i can just  get thru to the end of the stupid book.  If i wanted to know the inner workings of a machine i would pick up a stupid techinal book from the bookstore.  It is a story, so get on with the story already.

Ok, i feel better now that my little rant is done.

I agree 100%.....I could not get past the first few chapters. I have tried to back and read it, but just can't make it. I heard the other books in this series are good.

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Frequent Contributor
Morwaul
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

The Meteth Chronicles: Killing Year Zero by Rob Frisbee.

Paul

LOL, Paul threw a book written by a guy named Frisbee.  I love it.  Really, the author should have seen that one coming.

FaeryQueen wrote:

Breaking Dawn 

I mean come on,  LAME ending to such a powerful series.  And I say powerful because of vast numbers of young adult that read the series.  I was already ticked at Bella's attitude in New Moon when Edward left, but I got it.  She's young and it was her first love.  We all act stupid at that age.  But please...I know I've said this elsewhere on the boards but the ending totally ticked me off.

Well, good.  I'm glad I didn't miss anything since I threw the entire series in the trash can after forcing myself to finish book 2.

I have chunked a number of books, some that I loved, some that I hated.....I guess the biggest difference was the target.

---------------------------------------------------
The One in every crowd.
Frequent Contributor
foureyed
0 Kudos

The latest Jim Butcher Novel "Changes". Don't get me wrong, it was a great book, well written. I couldn't put it down until I finished. But the ENDING!!!   Jim Butcher,this is me giving you the FINGER, again! (I did the same on his webpage)

If ignorance is bliss, then Washington D.C. is the Happiest Place on Earth!
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

foureyed wrote:

The latest Jim Butcher Novel "Changes". Don't get me wrong, it was a great book, well written. I couldn't put it down until I finished. But the ENDING!!!   Jim Butcher,this is me giving you the FINGER, again! (I did the same on his webpage)

LMAO!  Tell us how you really feel!

Myself, I'm still reeling over what he did to Susan. 

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Frequent Contributor
largerthanlife
0 Kudos

ok, so it took me a while to find it (i think i blocked out the title and author on purpose) but here is my ultimate throw it across the room, pick it up, and chuck it out the window book.  Well actually it is a series, although i really only have issue with the last novel of the three.  But it was the fact for three books i had put time, energy and hope into this ending and in the end all i got was a waffling ending that left me seriously unfufilled.  

I don't ask a lot.  Just pick an ending.  Good, bad, or horrible, but if you decide to end a triolgy on "maybe this happened or maybe that happend" all i am going to fill is a decided lack of regard for the author.  It still bothers me to this day.  If i had known the author was going to do this to me i would have just left the books alone and moved on to someone else.  It just sucked.  And i know some people like the whole pick your own ending thing, but it is a awful thing to do to someone who need closure.  I would have respected her more if she had just picked the sad ending.  It felt like she was trying placate everyone.

ok, the series is called: The Bitterbynde Series by by Cecilia Dart-Thornton

and the book is called Battle of Evernight

"Look, would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?"
Inspired Wordsmith
Sovereign_Queen
0 Kudos

LOL on the eiffel tower of love.

It can be hard to describe things in new ways. What I'm having trouble with is describing things in new ways when you can't be very specific and focus on emotion pover description (example, a love scene in a YA "racy read.")

~Suzi

Correspondent
southrnbella
0 Kudos

mostly ill try and "grin and bare it" through a book but i would have to say maggie shaynes, lover's bite was horrible to me...i probably got through the first couple of chapters, had a WTF moment and tossed it. I got through the first book pretty easily but yall it was just bad. :smileyhappy:

Peace n Page Turners
http://live2lovebooks.blogspot.com/
Reader
HollowWonder
0 Kudos

I've read both books, and I have to say, I disagree with you. To each his own, I suppose. Though I AM angered to find out about the Miley Cyrus thing.

Reader
HollowWonder
0 Kudos

Have to disagree with this one too, though I DO know what you're talking about. It made me angry as well.

Correspondent
lesnes
0 Kudos

Bloodline   Found that I couldn't get into it......come to think about it, I didn't finish at all.