Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
Triton3122
0 Kudos

Books Similar to "A Discovery of Witches"

Hey Everyone, I'm new to this, so please be patient with me! I've recently started reading (and almost finished!!) "A Discovery of Witches." I've really enjoyed this book. While I'm into many of the "teen" vampire/witch/ghost/fallen angels/immortals books, I've enjoyed the older, sophisticated take on this line of stories presented in Discovery. I was hoping that someone could recommend books that they have found similar to "A Discovery of Witches." I look forward to any recommendations for great books to enjoy! Thanks!

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

Re: Books Similar to "A Discovery of Witches"

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

[ Edited ]

Triton3122 wrote:

Hey Everyone, I'm new to this, so please be patient with me! I've recently started reading (and almost finished!!) "A Discovery of Witches." I've really enjoyed this book. While I'm into many of the "teen" vampire/witch/ghost/fallen angels/immortals books, I've enjoyed the older, sophisticated take on this line of stories presented in Discovery. I was hoping that someone could recommend books that they have found similar to "A Discovery of Witches." I look forward to any recommendations for great books to enjoy! Thanks!

I can't think of any books that closely resemble A Discover of Witches. That book was sort of a 'Twilight' for adults and, to my knowledge, it was the first book to sort of capitalize on a more sophisticated version of true love with a vampire trumps all. But, I did think of a few novels that are more adult and have paranormal romance elements.

Garden Spells by Addison (A charming book about two 'witch-like' sisters)

Ravenous (Dark Forgotten Series #1)   by Sharon Atwood (A sorta hot witch and vampire romance--begins a new paranormal romance series.)

Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter Series #1)  by Nalini Singh. (First book in a romantic adventure series featuring the love between a human woman and archangel. Note, the second book in the series isn't as good as the first IMO. I haven't read the third book because of mediocre to bad reviews by readers I trust.) 

You might also enjoy the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. It's much more violent and sexually graphic than 'A Discovery' but it provides good mix of romance and adventure and features vampire males. The first book is Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series #1) . Note boxed sets are available.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Note--I suggest that you post your inquiry on the Romantic Reads board. There's a lot of people there who are dedicated paranormal romance readers. 

Reader
Triton3122

Thank you both for these great recommendations!! I'm definitely going to check these out!!

dalnewt

Triton3122 wrote:

Thank you both for these great recommendations!! I'm definitely going to check these out!!

I thought of two other series.

The first is the rather dark but excellent Mayfair Witches series by Anne Rice which starts with 

The Witching Hour (Mayfair Witches Series #1)  

(Note, this series is wonderfully descriptive and exceptionally supernatural, but it's no romance.)

The second is the action-packed and humorous Cassandra Palmer series which starts with

Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer Series #1)  

Note, Cassie is not a witch per se. She's a time traveling Pythia who gets flashes of the future. She involved in a relationship with a master vampire named Mircea and is attracted to a half-demon war mage named Pritkin. 

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

The Demon Lover  

This book isn't avaliable until December. I am about 70% done with my ARC copy and it reminds me so much of A Discovery of Witches, that I know you will love it.

New User
T_Braxton86
0 Kudos

Hi, 

I really enjoyed DOW aswell, So Maybe you should try the

Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter by Laurell K. Hamilton, There are quite a few but each one is different and has something new to offer I've read 7 so far and each time can't wait to move on to the next one.

Also The Cassandra Palmer series by Karen Chance and maybe the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R Ward its a bit different but you might still like it.

Reader 2
JenniferJuniper
0 Kudos

I reccomend that you look into Diana Galbadon's Outlander series.

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

An alternate history YA fantasy narrated by a young witch named Cate Cahill has received promising reviews and positive reader ratings. It looks like a good choice for anyone seeking a witch fix. Apparently, the story is part coming-of-age tale, part romance and part unresolved mystery.

Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles Series #1)  

Publishers Weekly

Spotswood’s debut, first in the Cahill Witch Chronicles, is set in an alternate New England circa 1896. The Brotherhood has established a Christian dictatorship by overthrowing a governing caste of witches, and any hint of the arcane is now reason enough to sentence a woman to an asylum or hard labor. Girls must marry or go into the convent by their 17th birthday, and Cate Cahill’s moment of truth is fast approaching. Cate, like her two sisters, is a secret witch, the legacy of a mother who died young trying to produce a male heir. Cate is responsible for protecting her family, a responsibility that does not square with marrying the tempting and handsome Paul McLeod. Her dilemma worsens when an eagle-eyed governess takes up residence, and a mysterious note arrives, urging Cate to seek her mother’s diary. Spotswood falls prey to occasional pedantic exposition, and casting Christians as fascistic chauvinists is nothing new. The pace doesn’t lag, however, and the fate of the Cahill sisters inspires genuine dread by the time the cliffhanger ending arrives. Ages 12–up.

RT BOOK REVIEW  BORN WICKED.

Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles Series #1)   

BORN WICKED 
by Jessica Spotswood

Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Historical

RT Rating

We need more paranormals with good, old-fashioned New England witches — Born Wicked is exactly that. It’s a quick, romantic read set in an alternate version of puritanical Maine. The feminist undertones, the descriptions of sumptuous dresses, the dangerous, secretive magic wielding: Born Wicked is like a sizzling, more fun version of The Witch of Blackbird Pond. The protagonist falls prey to one of the pitfalls of historical fiction — her modern sensibilities come off a bit anachronistic — and is prissy bordering on unlikable, but the setting and premise are strong enough to make the choice of narrator forgivable.

Born Wicked imagines a Puritan colony in which witches really exist. Having once been in power, female witches have been massacred to near extinction, and all women — magical and otherwise — are treated as weak-willed, second-class citizens, lorded over by the priests of the Brotherhood. Cate Cahill and her sisters, all three of them witches, are forced to practice their magic in secret. But they aren’t the only ones keeping secrets, and when Cate learns of a prophecy perhaps involving she and her sisters, she finds they’re in danger. (PUTNAM, Feb., 336 pp., $17.99, ISBN: 9780399257452, HC, 12 & Up)

Reviewed By: Ellen Parsons

A 'Born Wicked' web search reveals several very positive blog reviews including the following: Young Adult Book ReviewBorn Wicked by Jessica Spotswood ...Katie's Amazing Book ReviewsBorn Wicked by Jessica SpotswoodBook ReviewBorn Wicked by Jessica Spotswood[reviewBorn Wicked – Jessica Spotswood « Mermaid Vision Books; Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood | Figment Blog; and, ReviewBORN WICKED by Jessica Spotswood - A Lush Budget ....

New User
JK84
0 Kudos

I also enjoyed this book and currently ending the second one.  I would highly recommend an author that often gets looked over but I enjoyed her books as well.  Check out Kate Forsyth - Witches of Eileanan series.  It's not as modern day as Deborah's books but it will definitely have you reading well into the night.

Contributor
AngieG
0 Kudos

I loved Demon Lover by Juliet Dark. The sequel the Water Witch comes out next week.

New User
SuzaKates
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi,Triton3122!

I saw your post and thought you might also like my paranormal romance series involving witches. thanks for opening the topic!--Suza

http://www.savannahcovenseries.com/