Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008

'Buffy' in for feature relaunch

Not sure how I feel about this bit of news.  I'm one of those who thinks Buffy was the greates television show of all time.  I have all 7 seasons on DVD and watch them at least once a year, I'm currently on season 4 right now. 

 

I just can't decided if I'm intrigued by the idea or horrified by it.  I know it's not going to be based off the TV show and instead be a remake or redo on the origional movie but I still feel as if my favorite universe is going to be played with.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529
Posts: 403
Registered: ‎01-27-2007

Re: 'Buffy' in for feature relaunch


Ryan_G wrote:

Not sure how I feel about this bit of news.  I'm one of those who thinks Buffy was the greates television show of all time.  I have all 7 seasons on DVD and watch them at least once a year, I'm currently on season 4 right now. 

 

I just can't decided if I'm intrigued by the idea or horrified by it.  I know it's not going to be based off the TV show and instead be a remake or redo on the origional movie but I still feel as if my favorite universe is going to be played with.


 

No, no, no!  I am a huge fan (not just of Buffy, but Joss Whedon) as well.  This is a disaster. I would be intrigued if they did a movie starting at the finale of Buffy... but this a big no go in my book.   Well that is my two cents. :[
HELP! I've fallen and can't reach my book!!!!
Author
JackieKessler
Posts: 107
Registered: ‎09-03-2008

Re: 'Buffy' in for feature relaunch

I'll tell you how I feel about it. Remaking BUFFY without Joss Whedon is like Hostess Cupcakes without full fat and calories: it can be done, but it totally misses the point.
--
Black and White by Jackie Kessler and Caitlin Kittredge
Whose side are you on?
http://www.jetandiridium.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529
Posts: 403
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: 'Buffy' in for feature relaunch


JackieKessler wrote:
I'll tell you how I feel about it. Remaking BUFFY without Joss Whedon is like Hostess Cupcakes without full fat and calories: it can be done, but it totally misses the point.

I think you summed it up very nicely!  Now I am hungry...

HELP! I've fallen and can't reach my book!!!!
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: 'Buffy' in for feature relaunch

Well speaking form the camp that much prefers to original movie to the Whedon "cupcake".

 

Though I'm not sure ANY remake is a good idea. HIP HIP HOOREY!

 

I'll take that without cheese please.

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
Posts: 1,336
Registered: ‎09-07-2007

Re: 'Buffy' in for feature relaunch

EPIC FAIL.
Derek Tatum
Wordsmith
Paula717
Posts: 284
Registered: ‎12-27-2008

Re: 'Buffy' in for feature relaunch

Where has all the creativity gone? More and more remakes are being done on past pieces of work and in some cases some have been redone more times than I can count. For example, new Frankenstein and Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde movies are currently in the works, again. As much as I love horror and will most likely watch them on DVD, where has all of the originality gone?

 

Buffy, one of my favorite shows ever. I was heartbroken when it was canceled. They should have kept it going...

To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting. - Edmund Burke
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: 'Buffy' in for feature relaunch


Paula717 wrote:

Where has all the creativity gone? More and more remakes are being done on past pieces of work and in some cases some have been redone more times than I can count. For example, new Frankenstein and Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde movies are currently in the works, again. As much as I love horror and will most likely watch them on DVD, where has all of the originality gone?

 

Buffy, one of my favorite shows ever. I was heartbroken when it was canceled. They should have kept it going...


Well do you want to blame it on the writers strike.. Or if Hollywood has the right to something they already paid for why would they buy something new.... Or you could even blame it on the American propensity to goes see something familar more than they would something unknown?

Wordsmith
Paula717
Posts: 284
Registered: ‎12-27-2008
0 Kudos

Re: 'Buffy' in for feature relaunch


TiggerBear wrote:
.... Or you could even blame it on the American propensity to goes see something familar more than they would something unknown?

You have a point there and I admit I am one of those who will probably see a remake but then again, I'll watch anything LOL. But it's a shame with so many great books out there, studios wont take a chance on something new. I would love to see a movie on something by Brian Keene, David Wellington, Jim Butcher, etc. I could go on and on, there's so much talent out there to choose from.

To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting. - Edmund Burke
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: 'Buffy' in for feature relaunch


Paula717 wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:
.... Or you could even blame it on the American propensity to goes see something familar more than they would something unknown?

You have a point there and I admit I am one of those who will probably see a remake but then again, I'll watch anything LOL. But it's a shame with so many great books out there, studios wont take a chance on something new. I would love to see a movie on something by Brian Keene, David Wellington, Jim Butcher, etc. I could go on and on, there's so much talent out there to choose from.


Would it please you to know thye're trying to turn Dresden into a full length feature?

Author
JackieKessler
Posts: 107
Registered: ‎09-03-2008
0 Kudos

Re: 'Buffy' in for feature relaunch


TiggerBear wrote:

Would it please you to know thye're trying to turn Dresden into a full length feature?


**eye twitch**

--
Black and White by Jackie Kessler and Caitlin Kittredge
Whose side are you on?
http://www.jetandiridium.com
Wordsmith
Paula717
Posts: 284
Registered: ‎12-27-2008
0 Kudos

Re: 'Buffy' in for feature relaunch

That's wonderful! :smileyhappy:
To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting. - Edmund Burke
Wordsmith
Chomp
Posts: 1,241
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: 'Buffy' in for feature relaunch


TiggerBear wrote:

Well speaking form the camp that much prefers to original movie to the Whedon "cupcake".

 

Though I'm not sure ANY remake is a good idea. HIP HIP HOOREY!

 

I'll take that without cheese please.


Don't forget, Whedon wrote the movie, too.

 

Carol

So many books, so little time...
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: 'Buffy' in for feature relaunch


JackieKessler wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Would it please you to know thye're trying to turn Dresden into a full length feature?


**eye twitch**


Ok I can read a twitch either way so....

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: 'Buffy' in for feature relaunch


Chomp wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Well speaking form the camp that much prefers to original movie to the Whedon "cupcake".

 

Though I'm not sure ANY remake is a good idea. HIP HIP HOOREY!

 

I'll take that without cheese please.


Don't forget, Whedon wrote the movie, too.

 

Carol


Didn't say he wasn't a good writer, just his stuff is better the less control he has over final product. Cheeseless in fact. (grin)

Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: 'Buffy' in for feature relaunch

The thing that just makes me crazy is the number of fantastic novels out there that could be made into kick butt movies or television shows...

 

Yes, the David Wellington Monster novels could make an awesome movie... and what about a tv show based on Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt? Or Green's Nightside? Or JF Lewis' Void City? Or Jeanne Stein's Anna Strong?

 

It's quite depressing when you think about all of those novels that have never made it to celluloid but totally deserve it...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Wordsmith
Paula717
Posts: 284
Registered: ‎12-27-2008
0 Kudos

Re: 'Buffy' in for feature relaunch


paulgoatallen wrote:

The thing that just makes me crazy is the number of fantastic novels out there that could be made into kick butt movies or television shows...

 

Yes, the David Wellington Monster novels could make an awesome movie... and what about a tv show based on Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt? Or Green's Nightside? Or JF Lewis' Void City? Or Jeanne Stein's Anna Strong?

 

It's quite depressing when you think about all of those novels that have never made it to celluloid but totally deserve it...

Paul 


 

I totally agree, it's a shame.
To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting. - Edmund Burke
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
Posts: 1,336
Registered: ‎09-07-2007

Re: 'Buffy' in for feature relaunch


paulgoatallen wrote:

and what about a tv show based on Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt?


Especially if it was on HBO or Showtime, where they wouldn't have to soft-pedal the material.

 

Between this discussed BUFFY remake and the story that broke today that an ALIEN remake is being considered...I'm glad that I read. Seriously.

Derek Tatum
Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: 'Buffy' in for feature relaunch

Making movies or tv shows from really exceptional genre fiction novels is like Lucy pulling the football out from underneath Charlie Brown's feet. You get so excited about the possibility of a great movie to go along with a great novel and then you usually end up bitterly disappointed...

 

Over and over and over again. You think we'd learn... but hope springs eternal. I was blown away by LOTR so Hollywood can make movies/tv shows that are true to the book ... 

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Contributor
Lunanshee
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎12-31-2008
0 Kudos

Re: 'Buffy' in for feature relaunch

Buffy - I'm not convinced a "re-imagining" is possible at this point.  The Buffy story arc isn't even finished yet and they are trying to redo the whole thing.  How does that make sense?

 

Jim Butcher - If they actually make a movie per book and stay faithful (none of this Bob is a holographic-type person not a spirit of intellect in skull) then I am cautiously excited about a Dresden movie.  Love those books.  Heard Jim might try to get to D*C 2010...

 

Alien remake - Sounds like the Halloween remake.  Those movies are good they don't need to be redone!