paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Cover Art for Adrian Phoenix's Black Heart Loa (6/28/11)

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Cover Art for Adrian Phoenix's Black Heart Loa (6/28/11)

Geez – it's all squished! Here's the link!

Paul

http://adrianphoenix.com/blog/2011/02/03/black-heart-loa-cover/

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Paul,

I love this cover and am looking forward to reading both of Adrian's books this year.  I am saving the last of my birthday money to get Etched in Bone on the 22nd of this month.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Nice cover, love the details. Model still isn't ethinically correct (facilal bone structure)to the protagonist. But I will give much props to the consistant plot images being on the cover.

Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

ACK!!  I still need to read Black Dust Mambo!!!

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited for Etched in Bone...seems like forever since the last book!!!!

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Just finished: Black Arts by Faith Hunter (Jane Yellowrock #7)
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

SciFiCanuck wrote:

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited for Etched in Bone...seems like forever since the last book!!!!

Don't sweat it. I just finished it this weekend. Her best stuff BTW.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

I just got Etched in Bone today.... AWESOME.

Paul

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

paulgoatallen wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

I really like this cover. It's one of the best I've seen in terms of depicting the series' setting and main character. I plan on pre-ordering this book because I was thoroughly entertained by the hodoo/vodoo magic, characters, dialects, mystery, southern bayou ambiance and humor in 

Black Dust Mambo.

I love the swamp background and foreground. If it's simulated, it's very well done. (It sure beats Heartless!) And the diffuse/filtered lighting is particularly good. The model also isn't overly muscular or too busty; and, I approve. The all black outfit, especially the 'hot pants', are a little weird though. (What is it about UF covers and skimpily clad models?) In a swamp you'd want coverage against mosquitos, (like light cotton pants/skirt and long sleeves), not a midriff/cleavage bearing sleeveless top with short-shorts on the bottom. Given the status-quo for UF covers, the top would probably pass, but the (leather?) short-shorts on the bottom are really pushing the 'tasteless' envelope.    

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

I really like this cover. It's one of the best I've seen in terms of depicting the series' setting and main character. I plan on pre-ordering this book because I was thoroughly entertained by the hodoo/vodoo magic, characters, dialects, mystery, southern bayou ambiance and humor in 

Black Dust Mambo.

I love the swamp background and foreground. If it's simulated, it's very well done. (It sure beats Heartless!) And the diffuse/filtered lighting is particularly good. The model also isn't overly muscular or too busty; and, I approve. The all black outfit, especially the 'hot pants', are a little weird though. (What is it about UF covers and skimpily clad models?) In a swamp you'd want coverage against mosquitos, (like light cotton pants/skirt and long sleeves), not a midriff/cleavage bearing sleeveless top with short-shorts on the bottom. Given the status-quo for UF covers, the top would probably pass, but the (leather?) short-shorts on the bottom are really pushing the 'tasteless' envelope.    

Not teasing (ok maybe a tad:smileytongue:)but.. what state were you in that clothes actually stopped a mosquito? If it's not leather thick you can for forget not getting bit though owns clothes every south state I've been in.:smileywink:

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TiggerBear wrote:

dalnewt wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

Black Dust Mambo.

Not teasing (ok maybe a tad:smileytongue:)but.. what state were you in that clothes actually stopped a mosquito? If it's not leather thick you can for forget not getting bit though owns clothes every south state I've been in.:smileywink:

Any closely woven cotton actually. You know, something similar to the weave of safari clothes. And, sometimes the mosquitos do get through, but sometimes they don't. I really dislike deet. And the states, well, mainly midwestern ones. Wisconsin around a small lake in the summertime is mosquito city. And Michigan is also a b*tch. 

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

dalnewt wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

Black Dust Mambo.

Any closely woven cotton actually. You know, something similar to the weave of safari clothes. And, sometimes the mosquitos do get through, but sometimes they don't. I really dislike deet. And the states, well, mainly midwestern ones. Wisconsin around a small lake in the summertime is mosquito city. And Michigan is also a b*tch. 

Hmm deet and sunscreen is my best friends come summer. Though I don't wear it on my skin much anymore, got one of those clip to belt bugs go away fans things.They bite me through even biker weight jeans. Midwest mosquitoes are little buggers compared to the south ones. Around here it doesn't take a lake, lots of tiny bits of water everywhere. Trust me I grew up in the last state NC where people still died from malaria until 1962, 76 was the last die from Yellow Fever. Thank you DDT! When you live in a state where the dust any water body now these day because of  West Nile virus past by mosquitoes. Yeah the south's a little different for those nasty bugs.

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

Sorry, Paul, I missed this before. Do you mean that you received 

Etched in Bone? (Or, do you mean that your name got mentioned w/in Etched in Bone?)  

Frequent Contributor
Sable677
0 Kudos

Thanks for posting the cover. I can't wait to read both of Phoenix's books this year.

Inspired Wordsmith
MADIS
0 Kudos

SciFiCanuck wrote:

Me too!  I am feeling really behind!!

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

Paul you TEASE!!  :-P

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Just finished: Black Arts by Faith Hunter (Jane Yellowrock #7)
Contributor
JDeg
0 Kudos

So.  Jealous.  I'll be waiting a few more weeks until I get my pre-order.  I can't wait to dive into it!

Author
Adrian_Phoenix

I'm really pleased with the cover. I did, however, dress Kallie to match the cover once I saw it. LOL. I agree, not real practical for the bayou, but . . . Left to her own devices, Kallie would dress differently - jeans and cut-offs, tees and tanks.

www.adrianphoenix.com/blog
dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Adrian_Phoenix wrote:

I'm really pleased with the cover. I did, however, dress Kallie to match the cover once I saw it. LOL. I agree, not real practical for the bayou, but . . . Left to her own devices, Kallie would dress differently - jeans and cut-offs, tees and tanks.

Yep. I just looked at a close-up of the cover of 

Black Dust Mambo (Hoodoo Series #1) and Kallie appears in the same outfit on this Black Heart Loa (Hoodoo Series #2) cover. Black boots, hot pants and midriff bearing top. (Now we know the shorts are leather.) Well, I approve the consistency if not the practicality. 

P.S. I really do like this new cover.

Note the filtered lighting with its greenish/yellowish cast is especially good. That kind of lighting detail reminds me of a late Renoir painting of a woman in a garden. It was criticized at the time, (Renoir was failing and had rheumatoid arthritis, and he was painting very large figures), but like most of the impressionists he was acutely of how the light played upon surfaces. 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Adrian_Phoenix wrote:

Adrian:

You're amazing. Seriously. I'm taking great delight in the fact that slowly but surely mainstream paranormal fantasy readers are discovering you – and being blown away.

Paul

Author
Adrian_Phoenix

paulgoatallen wrote:

Adrian:

You're amazing. Seriously. I'm taking great delight in the fact that slowly but surely mainstream paranormal fantasy readers are discovering you – and being blown away.

Paul

Thanks so much, Paul! Fingers crossed that discovery continues! (And that they keep enjoying the books!)

www.adrianphoenix.com/blog