Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

DECEMBER FEATURE #2: Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland

[ Edited ]

Here's a book that I practically HAD to feature (I was being "pressured" by a cadre of regulars who will remain anonymous...). Lori Handeland has a huge following of romance readers but, like alot of romance authors, she has been exploring more and more supernatural/paranormal aspects in her novels (her Nightcreature saga, for example).

Any Given Doomsday, to me, is paranormal fantasy with a dash of hard-boiled mystery. It's the first book in Lori's Phoenix Chronicles and I can't wait to hear what you guys have to say about this one. As an added bonus, Lori will be stopping by throughout the month so if you have any questions for Lori, please feel free to post them asap! I can't wait to read Any Given Doomsday and will chime in once I've devoured it...

Paul

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Any-Given-Doomsday/Lori-Handeland/e/9780312949198/?itm=1&bnit=H&bnr...

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 11-28-2008 08:08 PM
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: DECEMBER FEATURE #2: Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland

I read the book when the library got a copy of it and loved it so much that I had to buy my own copy.  To me it was a total transition from the Nightcreature books which I really liked.  I think that in this one she seemed to put more complex characters in it.  I am really looking forward to more in the series.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Inspired Contributor
dragonchica
0 Kudos

If you go to her website, there's a prequel for this book in e-book/pdf format called In the Beginning.  :smileyhappy:

Caprice

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dragonchica/
Inspired Contributor
DarkHeart
0 Kudos

Hmm... I had this on my Christmas list, but you've just given me an excuse to take it off and just order myself a copy.  No point waiting.  =)  Will post my thoughts later.
~ Nicole
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

dragonchica wrote:

If you go to her website, there's a prequel for this book in e-book/pdf format called In the Beginning.  :smileyhappy:

Caprice

Read it when I had only read a few pages of the book.  Loved The Story as well as the book.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Finished Any Given Doomsday this morning, I liked it a lot.  Lizzie Phoenix, her former lover Jimmy Sanducci and Sawyer are all unique characters and I liked all of them.  I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series, Doomsday Can Wait.
Phyllis
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

I read the book when the library got a copy of it and loved it so much that I had to buy my own copy. 

Toni:

That's all the recommendation people need right there – when you've already read a book and actually buy a copy afterwards, well, that's saying something!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Author
LoriHandeland1
0 Kudos

Hello, everyone.

I'm not sure if this is where I'm supposed to be for the Q & A.  If so, question away!

If not, point me in the right direction.  LOL!

Lori Handeland

ANY GIVEN DOOMSDAY

www.lorihandeland.com 

Learn more about Any Given Doomsday.

Discover all Lori Handeland titles.
Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

LoriHandeland1 wrote:

Hello, everyone.

I'm not sure if this is where I'm supposed to be for the Q & A.  If so, question away!

If not, point me in the right direction.  LOL!

Lori Handeland

ANY GIVEN DOOMSDAY

www.lorihandeland.com 

Welcome Lori!!  :-)  I was in our local Wal-Mart over the weekend and stumbled on your book...I recognized the name from the list here because Paul mentioned it was going to be featured, so I picked it up!  Can't wait to read it!

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Welcome, Lori. You are indeed in the correct place. I am reading the book right now (and loving it), so will have questions soon.

Carol

So many books, so little time...
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

LoriHandeland1 wrote:

Hello, everyone.

I'm not sure if this is where I'm supposed to be for the Q & A. If so, question away!

If not, point me in the right direction. LOL!

Lori Handeland

Lori:

Welcome! Welcome! You have no idea how psyched I am to have you here. One of the coolest things about this job is getting the opportunity to discover authors that I have never read before – especially those in genres that are new to me. Before moderating this paranormal fantasy forum, I never read "romance" before but one of the things I learned early on is that categorization doesn't mean all that much anymore. I mean, this whole paranormal/urban fantasy phenomenon in my mind is all about "genre transcendence" – blending elements of romance, fantasy, mystery, horror, etc. into a storyline that, while hard to classify, is extremely entertaining. And that's what I get when reading Any Given Doomsday – it's a fusion of genres. I'm going to try and finish it tonight and I'll bombard you with questions once I'm done!

Paul

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 12-01-2008 08:08 PM
Author
LoriHandeland1
0 Kudos

Hi, Teresa!  Thanks for picking up AGD.  Hope you enjoy it. 

After taking a look at the other books you're reading, I think you will.

Lori 

Author
LoriHandeland1
0 Kudos

Hey, Carol!!  

And Hi, Paul.  Thanks so much for inviting me to be here this month.

That is one thing I've always loved about romance are all the different genres and blending of genres. If you can't find something you like on the romance shelves, you definitely aren't looking hard enough.

Lori 

Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Hi Lori and a Big Welcome to you.  I read Any Given Doomsday the day after it came out.  I went to my local Barnes and Noble and picked it up.  I had it on hold there.  I liked it a lot.  I am a big fan of your books and this one was quite different for you.  I liked Elizabeth (Lizzie) and Jimmy and I am still deciding how I feel about Sawyer, but I think I like him. 

A question for you?  How did you come up with these characters and this story?

Phyllis
Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

LoriHandeland1 wrote:

Hey, Carol!!  

And Hi, Paul.  Thanks so much for inviting me to be here this month.

That is one thing I've always loved about romance are all the different genres and blending of genres. If you can't find something you like on the romance shelves, you definitely aren't looking hard enough.

Lori 

LOL, Ain't that the truth!!  Most of what I read is under romance in the local book stores...then some I assume will be under rromance is not!  I find it under Fantasy/Sci Fi or Horror of all things.  Go figure.
My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Author
LoriHandeland1
0 Kudos

Hi, Phyllis! Glad you enjoyed AGD.  Sawyer is an interesting character.  There will be a lot more of him in Doomsday Can Wait since his evil psychotic witch-mother shows up.

As for coming up with the characters, I'm never quite sure.  When I start a new book I usually have an idea of what I want to happen and who I want it to happen too, although it never quite works out in the end the way I begin.  I start by brainstorming with a pen and yellow legal pad and just scribble ideas.

Then I do some reading on the background of the legends and area I plan to use, which leads to more brainstorming.  From there I begin writing and the characters take form from their interactions with each other.  It's a constant process of learning new things and revising old ideas.   

Author
LoriHandeland1
0 Kudos

I know, Teresa.  Any Given Doomsday was shelved in fantasy at Barnes and Noble but romance everywhere else.  It's confusing for all of us!

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Lori,

This maybe a stupid question but does Ruth play a part in any more of the books or is Lizzie pretty much on her own now.  I love the Midwest setting having lived in Iowa for many years and could understand what happens back there.  Looking forward to ready the next book.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Hi Lori,

I put AGD on hold at Barnes and Noble and then went to pick it up, but browsed around the store first.  While browsing I noticed my BN had AGD shelved in Romance.  They seem to shelve all type of urban paranormal in romance. 

Phyllis
Author
LoriHandeland1
0 Kudos

Not a stupid question at all, Toni!

Ruthie shows up in all the books I've completed so far, albeit in a different way than she has in the past.  But that's all I'll tell you for now.  :smileywink:

Doomsday Can Wait takes place in a lot of midwest areas.  Besides WI, Liz hits Indiana, Detroit and Chicago, too, as well as New Mexico.

Lori