Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen

DECEMBER FEATURE #2: Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler

Reading Nicole Peeler's debut novel Tempest Rising - the first installment of her Jane True saga - was like a breath of fresh air for this jaded paranormal fantasy fan. Equal parts paranormal fantasy and horror, the characters were brilliantly developed, the dark humor was fantastic, the pacing was relentless.... it's hard to believe that this was a debut novel!

Just one look at the original cover art sold me – if you're looking for something truly original, pick up this book!

I don't want to ruin any plot twists and bombshells for anyone so here's the synopsis to give you a little taste about what the novel is about...

"In the tiny village of Rockabill, Maine, Jane True—26-year-old bookstore clerk and secret night swimmer—has no idea that her absent mother’s legacy is entry into a world populated by the origins of human myths and legends.  It is a world where nothing can be taken for granted: vampires are not quite what we think; dogs sometimes surprise us; and whatever you do, never—ever—rub the genie’s lamp.   For Jane, everything kicks off when she comes across a murder victim during her nightly clandestine swim in the freezing winter ocean.  This grisly discovery leads to the revelation of why she has such freakish abilities in the water: her mother was a Selkie and Jane is only half human. With this knowledge, Jane soon finds herself mingling with supernatural creatures alternately terrifying, beautiful, and deadly—all adjectives that quite handily describe her new friend Ryu.  When Ryu is sent to Rockabill to investigate the murder, he and Jane fall hard for each other even as they plummet into a world of intrigue threatening to engulf both supernatural and human societies.  For someone is killing half-humans like Jane.   The question is, are the murders the work of one rogue individual or part of a greater plot to purge the world of Halflings?"

I'm trying to get Nicole to stop by for a visit – I won't stop until I get her in here! – so please feel free to post any and all coments and questions for her!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21

Re: DECEMBER FEATURE #2: Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler

This is a really fun book. I wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised.

The character Jane is a wide eyed innocent thrown into a new world where she leaps out of the walls she has built around herself.

pen21

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

This book is next on my list to read.  I am reading a book for the SF&F thread, then I will be diving into this one.  I've heard such wonderful things on this book that I can't wait to get to it.  I am hoping to start it next week, maybe late next week.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I read the book over the Thanksgiving weekend and I was glad to have a lot of time to read because I could not put it down.  I am really looking forward to watching Jane's growth and seeing where else her powers take her. I have a feeling that she will really shake up the community around her when she finally comes into them fully.  I am looking forward to the next book.. Nicole will Russ will get his girl stone?

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Author
Nicole_Peeler

Hi guys!

Nicole Peeler here. I'm absolutely delighted that Paul chose Tempest Rising as one of your December reads, and I really hope y'all give it a go.

If you're on the fence, come check out my website, http://www.nicolepeeler.com. There's a link to the Tempest Rising page that has all the reviews I could find. :-)

It's definitely not for everyone as it's a bit screwball and a bit OTT at times. But I'm proud of  Jane and I can't wait to talk about her with you!

So let me know if you have any questions, or if there's anything you'd like me to do to facilitate your book club experience. ;-)

Thanks! 

Nicole

Bibliophile
Melhay

Hello Nicole!

I am glad to see you got signed in and everything worked out to be here!  Are you going to be here off and on through out the month of December?  Or are you only able to be here for a few days?

I am hoping for through the month.  I am getting excited to get into the book, and hoping to be digging in next week.  I have heard many great praises of the book.

Is there an idea on the length of the series?  I was looking around your blog earlier today and I can't remember at the moment if I saw how long the series will be.

Has being a professor helped influence you in your writing of Jane?

Great to have you here with us on the forum.  I do hope you enjoy yourself here as we always try to have fun too.

Melissa

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Reader 4
ecopp
0 Kudos

DECEMBER FEATURE #2: Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler

Very fun read. Love the writing style. Just enough sex, action and world building for me. Love the characters wonderfully quirky. The only thing that bothered me is that Janes Pop culture references put her about 5 years older than she is supposed to be in my mind but other than that I loved it. Bought the ebook this morning and finished today. Can't wait for the next installment definately going on my series list.

Frequent Contributor
alexia561
0 Kudos

This was one of my favorite books this year, as it's so original! One of the things that I loved about Jane is that she's not a tough warrior, but a regular girl who is not afraid to scream in fear. And she handles being thrust into a strange new world a whole lot better than I probably would! Sometimes I just get really tired of kicka** heroines, and Jane really was a breath of fresh air. Also loved the humor!

Author
Nicole_Peeler
0 Kudos

Hi Melissa,

Thanks! I was going about it the wrong way, I realized. ;-) As I am wont to do. But once I went to the right page signing in was as easy as everybody kept telling me. 

And I will be able to be here on and off! So fire away with questions. We can organize something more orderly if that seems warranted, but otherwise this sort of thing is fine by me. :-)

I've got six books planned for Jane, and no more. I like series that cap. I think it's my childhood epic fantasy reader. But I've only sold the first three, so far. We won't negotiate for more till after I'm done with book 3. 

And I've also got another trilogy in construction. It's set in the same world and I'm OBSESSED with the protagonist. She's the polar opposite of Jane in a lot of ways, but in other ways very similar. YAY! And she's SO COOL. SOOOO COOL.

As for being a professor, the greatest thing about it is it keeps me grounded. Everyone's like, "Wow, you're an author now! Does it go to your head?" And I'm like, "Dude, I just stood in front of a classroom full of thirty freshman all staring at me like I was a MORON." So yeah, they keep me grounded. LOL

Thanks Melissa!

Author
Nicole_Peeler
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ecopp: That has NOTHING to do with the fact her author is, indeed, 31. *whistles*

BUSTED! ;-)

Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Welcome, Nicole. This is Carol from BBB, and your D*C moderator.

Glad to have you with us here at B&N.

I will be back later with comments and questions.  :smileyhappy:

Carol

So many books, so little time...
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nicole_Peeler wrote:

Hi guys!

Nicole Peeler here. I'm absolutely delighted that Paul chose Tempest Rising as one of your December reads, and I really hope y'all give it a go.

If you're on the fence, come check out my website, http://www.nicolepeeler.com. There's a link to the Tempest Rising page that has all the reviews I could find. :-)

It's definitely not for everyone as it's a bit screwball and a bit OTT at times. But I'm proud of  Jane and I can't wait to talk about her with you!

So let me know if you have any questions, or if there's anything you'd like me to do to facilitate your book club experience. ;-)

Thanks! 

Nicole

Yeah, Nicole has made it to our cozy little paranormal fantasy nook!! welcome, Nicole! I'm soooo excited you're here – you have quite a few fans here already!  I'm going to email my boss right now to get your status changed to "Author" instead of "New User."
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nicole_Peeler

Author
Nicole_Peeler

Nicole:

You're officially an "author!"  Yeah!!!!

Paul

Author
Nicole_Peeler

People keep telling me that, Paul, but I still don't believe it. :-)

Hi Carol! Thanks for having me again. 

Reader 4
ecopp
0 Kudos

Nicole_Peeler wrote:

Ecopp: That has NOTHING to do with the fact her author is, indeed, 31. *whistles*

BUSTED! ;-)

LOL I'll be 31 in March and my sister is 26. There were several lines in there there I thought thats totally me and Lissy would not get it. Its so funny but this is the first book I've ever read and thought I would really like the person who wrote this.

Some of my favorites:

"Creepy McCreeperson"

'"Regulators, mount up," I muttered channeling Warren G...'

"Just like the Wu-Tang Clan, baby, I like it raw."

And not a pop culture reference but my favorite line in the book

'"I was just trying to be helpful," I told Ryu, defensively. "Nobody likes bitches."'

I giggled through the whole book I will definately be rereading it and might actually be buying a hard copy since I got it in digital format.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

The main character Jane felt like a real person to me. Jane wasn't prepared to handle everything thrown at her, but she takes it in stride and turns out to be a strong and brave person. Even the "normal" characters in the book have flaws, which makes the story believable.

Nicole,

My question is are the characters in the book based on friends, co-workers, relatives....?

Just curious, because you have a good blend of characters with each being very unique.

Thanks Luanne

Author
Nicole_Peeler
0 Kudos

Ecopp: Thanks! :-) I think, rather selfishly, that you should buy the book just for the cover. I LOVE the artwork Sharon Tancredi did SO MUCH I have a copy that she sent me framed and hung over my bed. :-) I adore it!

Hi Luanne! Thanks! My inspiration for Jane were women like my mom, who's a special ed teacher; my sister-in-law, who's a nurse; and another friend of mine named Jane who is also a nurse. They're these women who just get stuff done. They're not warriors, or sorcerers, and they don't even think what they do is brave. But they see and do stuff that would have be babbling in terror every day without batting an eyelash. I think Jane is brave in a very quiet, feminine way--it's about internal strength and perseverance rather than muscle and fury.

And I have been so lucky to have lived all over the place and meet so many amazing people. So none of the people in the book are based on one individual, but they've definitely been inspired by my amazing friends and family. :-) Thanks for the question!

Wordsmith
3monstersmom
0 Kudos

Nicole_Peeler wrote:

Ecopp: Thanks! :-) I think, rather selfishly, that you should buy the book just for the cover. I LOVE the artwork Sharon Tancredi did SO MUCH I have a copy that she sent me framed and hung over my bed. :-) I adore it!

The cover is what actually made me pick up the book and convinced me to buy it.  I love the heart with teeth design!  Congratulations Nicole on writing one of the best books of the year.  Although I think it's cruel that we have to wait till July 1st, for the sequel Tracking the Tempest.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Nicole,

I too loved the book and one of the things I really liked was Jane's relationship with her father.  The question I have is will she have a chance to get to know her mother again or Wish Tracking the Tempest was coming out like in March instead of July but I will be getting it whenever it comes out.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Author
Nicole_Peeler
0 Kudos

3monstersmom: Oh, thank you! Glad you enjoyed it. And I know the wait is a killer, but I think Orbit did it cause I have a full time career and writing is my side line. This way I can keep a steady production since I can't write full time. :-) At least, that's my thinking for their thinking. LOL

Thanks, Nelsmom! And I also love her father. Jane has been very loved, in her life. I can't say anything about the mother . . . Trade secrets and what not. ;-)