Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Fangbanger

Dead Ever After thread

Hey all, 

Today's the day.  The final Sookie Stackhouse book is out today.  I know that a lot of people have read it already and have opinions, so I thought I would start a thread where people can talk freely about it.  There will be SPOILERS, so don't comment or read if you want to stay unspoiled.  Have fun!!

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21

Re: Dead Ever After thread

[ Edited ]

The thirteenth book, I wonder if she planned to end on that number. I liked the book. I like that not all ends got wrapped. But Sookie has grown and knows what is important to her and who is important to her. I am surprised that more people haven't commented. There are a lot of people who have read this series.

Dead Ever After (Sookie Stackhouse / Southern Vampire Series #13)  

paulgoatallen

[ Edited ]

Here are my thoughts:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/so-long-sookie-thanks-for-the-iced-tea-and-fried-pickles/

And, yes, when I posted this blog, I thought I would get dozens if not hundreds of comments. I haven't got one! I wonder if all of the bad press with this book – irate fans threatening Charlaine, upset with the ending, etc. – dissuaded readers from picking it up...

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Correspondent
Fangbanger
0 Kudos

Paul, I agree totally.  I thought this post would get a lot of commenters, but zilch.  I don't really understand the bad press or all the bad reviews I have seen on other sites.  I think that many people's issue with this book is that they would have done it differently.  That is all fine and good, but it's not your book series.  Charlaine has the right to end the series however she pleases.  I think she did a great job.  I wasn't completely satisfied.  I didn't really like the shift to third person during some of the chapters.  One of this series' greatest strengths is Sookie and her voice.  She is the everywoman, like Paul pointed out in his review.  She is what helps people connect and losing that, even for a handful of pages was a detriment to the book.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Fangbanger wrote:

Paul, I agree totally.  I thought this post would get a lot of commenters, but zilch.  I don't really understand the bad press or all the bad reviews I have seen on other sites.  I think that many people's issue with this book is that they would have done it differently.  That is all fine and good, but it's not your book series.  Charlaine has the right to end the series however she pleases.  I think she did a great job.  I wasn't completely satisfied.  I didn't really like the shift to third person during some of the chapters.  One of this series' greatest strengths is Sookie and her voice.  She is the everywoman, like Paul pointed out in his review.  She is what helps people connect and losing that, even for a handful of pages was a detriment to the book.

I am still perplexed how poorly this blog did.... if someone organized a campaign to somehow undermine the release of this book, they certainly succeeded!

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Wordsmith
3monstersmom

I'll be honest and admit to not picking up my copy of this yet due to all the bad press.   It is still on my Must Buy List, but it did drop to used book store find level.