Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
rodredux
0 Kudos

Do You Like Weird? Vampires, Zombies, Ghosts and... Private Eyes?

Hi, Rod Redux here! Trying to get some sales going on the books I have available for the nook. Most of them sell really well for the kindle, but they're not getting much attention here, which sucks because I'm a big fan of the nook. Got the Easy Touch Nook coming as we speak.

Talking to other authors about my lack of sales, they've told me to promote myself here, so here I am.

So what do I got?

I got weird.

The nook books I have available are The Oldest Living Vampire Tells All, The Oldest Living Vampire on the Prowl, Mort, Menace of Club Mephistopheles and Hole: A Ghost Story. They're all $2.99, and I get really good reviews on competing websites.

The Oldest Living Vampire series is about a vampire named Gon. He is 30,000 years old, born in a paleolithic community in the Swabian Alps of Germany. The first book tells of his human life and how he came to be a vampire, while the second book chronicles his earliest adventures with his first vampire child Ilio. There is a modern day subplot running through the books as well, but most of the story takes place in the distant past. My idea was "Just how old can I make a vampire and it be believable?" The idea of caveman vampires might sound weird, but I think it worked really well. Some people call it Clan of the Cave Vampires! ;-)

The Oldest Living Vampire series is not your typical vampire fare. I consciously tried to be as original as possible. There is alot of sex and gore, so sensitive readers should beware. There's been some controversy with the book, but if you want to read Twilight, read Twilight. The Oldest Living Vampire is more for the hardcore vampire fans.

Mort is my zombie apocalypse book, and once again, I asked myself, how can I make this original and unique? I decided to populate the novel with outrageous and funny characters instead of your typical angst-ridden heroes. The title character Mort is an overweight, insecure and oblivious comic book nerd. His buddy Pete is a hillbilly underwear model with more balls than brains. As their adventure unfolds, they cross paths with the demented Lavendar Basiim, the world's last living pimp, a beautiful Chinese stunt car driver and the deadly psychotic serial killer DaVinci. In this book, the humans are actually far deadlier than the zombies, and there's one other thing to contend with. Angelic beings are swooping in and rescuing survivors of the zombie apocalypse. I won't let slip any spoilers, so if zombies are your thing, I think you'll enjoy Mort.

I won't bore you much longer. I just wanted to give you an idea of what I have available. Like I said, think weird. Think Heavy Metal in the old days, with Corben and Mobius. If you're in the market for some fun, fast-paced, adult horror and fantasy for your nook, give my books a shot.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/rod-redux?store=book

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

Re: Do You Like Weird? Vampires, Zombies, Ghosts and... Private Eyes?

Derek Tatum
Inspired Wordsmith
NJMetal
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ass Goblins Of Auschwitz  

Now THAT'S Weird!

"We always condemn most in others, that which we fear most in ourselves." -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

I think that cover is vying for title of the worst cover ever! Here's it is in semi blown-up form:

Inspired Wordsmith
NJMetal

Clearly we can all cross off "Find Out What An Ass Goblin Actually Looks Like" off our bucket lists.

"We always condemn most in others, that which we fear most in ourselves." -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
dalnewt

[ Edited ]

LordRuthven wrote:

I read and enjoyed Nekropolis. The world building is very imaginative. Nekropolis is a city divided into varied and diverse neighborhoods, each ruled by a different supernatural lord. Nekropolis' creatures include: snooty and callus vamps who live in a castled and cobbled section, free spirited demons that run the gamut from jet-set lookers to horrible/repulsive monsters who live in an urban setting, witches who sneak in technology but pretend to hate it while living in thatched cottages and weres who live for the hunt in a forest section.

The mystery plot was good, and the protagonist, the only self-willed zombie, was appealing. Note the zombie detective protagonist was a bit too much of a hero for me, but he nonetheless had a hard-assed attitude and under-handed edge that I appreciated. Note, I bought the follow-up

Dead Streets

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote:

Hmm. That sounds even more appealing to me. While I like a good antihero (like Sandman Slim or Joe Pitt), I like it when the vampire, werewolf, or in this case, zombie is a genuine good guy. Taking a dark supernatural edge and combining it with a hero's spirit is something I've always enjoyed.

Derek Tatum
dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I think you'd like the zombie detective, Matt Richter, in Nekropolis. I think most guys would enjoy him. The plot got a bit monotonous mid book as Matt and a dhampire girl transverse the various sections of Nekropolis in pursuit of an artifact stolen from the vampire lord (the girl's father), but most of the narrative is clever and engaging. The magic holding Matt's zombie body together is failing, and he's slowly falling apart. And, yeah, he is a true hero. Note, he's not as irreverent/insightful/witty as Sandman, he's much more of a quintessential good guy. His good heart shows through off and on. At the end he makes a sacrifice that is sort of sappy-sweet. Nonetheless, I enjoyed his hard-hitting and pragmatic approach as well as his use of underhanded means when necessary.

dalnewt

The third Matt Richter (zombie detective) book is coming out soon!

It's entitled Dark War and will be released June 28.

I think I'm gonna have to get it.:smileyhappy: Take a look at the cover below!

Cover Image

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

Yeah, that's a great cover, but most of Angry Robot's covers are stellar.

Derek Tatum
dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

There's a wry sense of humor utilized in this series. In the first book the protagonist made pithy observations/comments while maintaing a hard investigative edge. I remember Matt's comment when he first saw the dhampire girl. He said something to the effect that she turn him on if he still had blood pressure. And, sometimes the humor is decidedly morbid, but funny, very funny!