Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

Dragon*Con's Dark Fantasy 2009!

Ha ha, I thought I would get an early start. I wanted to open this thread (and yes, I did get permission) to keep you all up to date with my convention programming next year. Not that there is anything to report at this time - but if anyone is planning on attending next year, this thread is the place to ask questions.

2008 was a solid year, but running two rooms wore me out. I am planning to refocus and get things down to a more manageable level next year.

Derek Tatum
Wordsmith
Chomp

Re: Dragon*Con's Dark Fantasy 2009!

Ha ha, indeed, Derek -- my heart did a little flutter when I first saw this thread late last night. :smileyhappy:

Truly, you did such a wonderful job this year, worn out or not. Many, many kudos and congratsto you.

Carol

So many books, so little time...
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

I'm glad so many of our regular paranormal crew – and many of our past author guests – had such a great time at DC08. The community just keeps on growing...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Author
JackieKessler
0 Kudos

Sweet! Can't wait for Dragon*Con 2009!
--
Black and White by Jackie Kessler and Caitlin Kittredge
Whose side are you on?
http://www.jetandiridium.com
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JackieKessler wrote:
Sweet! Can't wait for Dragon*Con 2009!

Hopefully in a month or so, I'll know how the track has been modified. Me and my senior director have already been discussing it. He'll have to get the approval from his boss, but ideally I'll have a more updated description for what the track will cover.
Message Edited by LordRuthven on 09-18-2008 11:01 PM
Derek Tatum
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
For anyone thinking about going to Dragon*Con next year...you might want to go ahead and reserve a room. They are already going fast, almost a full year in advance. Links to the host hotels can be found here: http://www.dragoncon.org/location.php#Host_Hotels . If it comes down to it, you could probably cancel later if you can't make it - ask the hotel for details.
Message Edited by LordRuthven on 10-03-2008 06:30 PM
Derek Tatum
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Derek:

Is this a full-time gig for you? It seems like you're working it around the clock 12 months out of the year...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

No, in fact it is volunteer work. This was brought to my attention, and a friend told me that it might be a good idea to make a public mention around and about places where I talk about the event.
Derek Tatum
Author
JackieKessler
0 Kudos

Thanks for the heads up, Derek. FYI, Marriott is completely booked. As of yesterday, the Hyatt Regency also was booked, if you go by the website. BUT if you call Reservations directly in Atlanta, you may still get a room (and at the D*C rate too). I did. I'm stoked.

--
Black and White by Jackie Kessler and Caitlin Kittredge
Whose side are you on?
http://www.jetandiridium.com
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm trying to figure out exactly when Dragon*Con ballooned. It really did use to be a simple SF/Fantasy con - larger than most, but still confined to one hotel.

Message Edited by LordRuthven on 10-04-2008 11:47 AM
Derek Tatum
Frequent Contributor
PamelaKKinneyPK
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I couldn't make it this year, and won't be able to in '09, but maybe 2010. Yeah, I first went in 1999 and have seen Dragoncon grow and how big it was inn 2007. Reminded me of Star Wars Celebration which had 80,000 in attendence.

Pamela K. Kinney
Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 10-09-2008 08:08 PM
Pamela K. Kinney is an author of published horror, science fiction, fantasy, horror, poetry, and the nonfiction book, Haunted Richmond, Virginia, published by Schiffer Publishing, along with Haunted Virginia: Legends, Myths and True Tales coming fall 2009 from Schiffer Publishing, too. Using the pseudonym, Sapphire Phelan, she has published erotic and sweet paranormal/fantasy/science fiction romance, along with poetry and couple of erotic horror stories, one, a Lovecraftian novella, Unwitting Sacrifice, published by Under the Moon, now available. She also has done acting on stage and in films, plus is a costumer. Find out more about her at: http://FantasticDreams.50megs.com or at either of her MySpaces: http://www.myspace.com/PamelaKKinney and http://www.myspace.com/SapphirePhelan.
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Not sure if I mentioned this previously, but Mike Mignola has already been confirmed as a guest next year.
Message Edited by LordRuthven on 10-08-2008 08:18 PM
Derek Tatum
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

LordRuthven wrote:
Not sure if I mentioned this previously, but Mike Mignola has already been confirmed as a guest next year.
Message Edited by LordRuthven on 10-08-2008 08:18 PM

That should be fun... :smileyhappy:

Carol

So many books, so little time...
Frequent Contributor
JeanneStein
0 Kudos

JackieKessler wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, Derek. FYI, Marriott is completely booked. As of yesterday, the Hyatt Regency also was booked, if you go by the website. BUT if you call Reservations directly in Atlanta, you may still get a room (and at the D*C rate too). I did. I'm stoked.

I've already made a reservation, too.

Derek, you did great work last year but I have a picture in my mind--the last time I saw you, you were asleep on the floor outside of one of the rooms. I KNOW how much work you put into it. It is much appreciated.

Hope to see you in 2009!!!

Jeanne 

Frequent Contributor
Regric
0 Kudos

I'm already drooling!  And plotting plans for vacations next year...

I suppose volunteer humans need to live near/in Atlanta?  Or could one be out of state and call in on a conference call...or via a webex meeting or some such geekish thing?

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

Regric wrote:

I suppose volunteer humans need to live near/in Atlanta?

Not at all. My staff is full, but contact the Dragon*Con office and see if they need help in another area.

Derek Tatum
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Do you guys need a janitor? I don't do windows though...

Paul 

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

There are actually no windows in the good ol' Montreal/Vancouver room, so you would be in luck.
Derek Tatum
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

Things are starting up all over again (as if they never stopped this time) with the first director's meeting less than a week away. Hopefully I will have some cool news to share sometime soon. It's no secret that a lot of urban fantasy writers are wanting to attend this year - including a lot of familiar names on this board.

Derek Tatum
Author
KatRichardson
0 Kudos

*hops up and down in excited anticipation*  ohboyohboyohboy....
Kat Richardson
http://katrichardson.com/