Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Extreme (B&N Book Club) Makeover

Hey all:
Wow! I just signed on and saw the new look. What does everyone think about this?
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
synnergy
0 Kudos

Re: Extreme (B&N Book Club) Makeover

Hey Paul,
I think the new look is great. The only thing I miss is the picture of the featured book-of-the-month. I am assuming that is what was there before. There was a picture of Lilith Saintcrow's latest book?! Other then that I think it looks great!

Syn

It is so amazing to see so many fantastic authors here!
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Syn:
Yeah, I like the new look too. My two biggest disappointments are the gray type, which is mucher harder to read, and the lack of featured book cover art. They may not be done with the redesign so I'm hoping to see book covers somewhere on the forum pages soon...
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
Sami_M
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:
Syn:
Yeah, I like the new look too. My two biggest disappointments are the gray type, which is mucher harder to read, and the lack of featured book cover art. They may not be done with the redesign so I'm hoping to see book covers somewhere on the forum pages soon...
Paul

Hey Paul, I have too agree with you. It looks great, but it is harder to read. I feel like I need to get glasses to see it. It would be fabulous to see some of the cover art. A lot of times thats how a book gets my attention is the tittle don't.

Sami
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

I'm with you on both counts, Sami. I'll pass everyone's thoughts on to the B&N gods as soon as I get a little more feedback and hopefully they'll do a little more tinkering with the forums until they're perfect!
Paul
Frequent Contributor
Sami_M
0 Kudos

Thanks Paul that would be cool.

Sami
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Sami:
I just heard back from one of the B&N deities and I think that we'll see cover art again for featured titles – they're still doing some tinkering. Yeah!
Paul
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

I know I'm slowly going insane but does anyone else have this obsession now with getting one of those Barnes & Noble coffe mugs featured in some of the book club headers? I'm a big java drinker and I think there's some subliminal voodoo messaging going on here because suddenly whenever I see the headers, I get the irrational urge to own one of those mugs...

Paul
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:
I know I'm slowly going insane but does anyone else have this obsession now with getting one of those Barnes & Noble coffe mugs featured in some of the book club headers? I'm a big java drinker and I think there's some subliminal voodoo messaging going on here because suddenly whenever I see the headers, I get the irrational urge to own one of those mugs...

Paul

They are neat mugs and so if you can get them to give us a discount on them I'd take one too, even though I don't drink coffee, I do like herb Tea.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
synnergy
0 Kudos

Paul, I am right there with you! I want a B&N coffee mug too! I even looked for them at my local Barns and Noble, but they didnt have any coffee mugs :smileysad:

Syn~
Frequent Contributor
Deathlynx
0 Kudos

Lol! I'm not a big coffee person myself, but that thing looks like it could be full of Hot Cocoa which would probably make a lot of people happy too...made with some nice warm milk instead of water, complete with marshmallows on the side and a little whipped cream? :smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
synnergy
0 Kudos

MUST. HAVE. MUG.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Man, this is killing me! We all know that a B&N coffee mug has to exist because there it is – I'm looking right at it! Or maybe the designer who created the headers just "photoshop"ed it – if that's true, that's just plain mean.

Don't worry everyone, I'll eventually get to the bottom of this and have an answer for us soon...
Paul
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

synnergy wrote:
Hey Paul,
I think the new look is great. The only thing I miss is the picture of the featured book-of-the-month. I am assuming that is what was there before. There was a picture of Lilith Saintcrow's latest book?! Other then that I think it looks great!

Syn

It is so amazing to see so many fantastic authors here!

I agree, I miss the books too. I did notice that the list for November books is out on the Announcements thread. If you leave your cursor on the book title a photo will come up. They did add that feature before the changes and it's nice to have but I hate for that to be the only way you can see the books here.
Frequent Contributor
extinah
0 Kudos

Pretty darn spiffy mug. Anyone think it's photoshopped? :] Looks to good to be true!

I like the makeover, but also hope to see the book club covers.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

extinah wrote:
Pretty darn spiffy mug. Anyone think it's photoshopped? :] Looks to good to be true!

I like the makeover, but also hope to see the book club covers.

I asked the regular customer service if they could carry the mug and they said they would see what they could do.Toni So I will just keep my eyes open and see if they offer it in the near future.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
jadering
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
You know, I always wondered about that mug, so I'm glad I'm not the only one! As for the cover art, I agree with what you guys have all said. I still automatically look for the cover art even though I know it's not there.

Therese

Message Edited by jadering on 10-15-2007 12:54 PM
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

I agree with everyone about the sadness in my heart over the lack of cover art for featured titles. Actually seeing a book cover – the cover art, design, font, etc. – has always been a pretty special thing for me. I know everyone says that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but for me the cover is an integral part of the reading experience. This month's feature – Cherie Priest's Not Flesh Nor Feathers – for example, would've been much more powerful had the cover art been prominently displayed somewhere on the forum page.

It goes back to my days growing up in the '70s and buying albums – seeing the cover art on the front and back of the album was a big part of the overall experience. Double albums were the best because you got additional artwork on the inside as well...
Paul
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

Paul -- I think you're right, I bought one a few weeks ago, and I'm not even much of a coffee drinker!

And did someone say "discount?" Works for me! (Hint! Hint!)

Message Edited by becke_davis on 11-24-2007 02:26 PM
Frequent Contributor
synnergy
0 Kudos

ummm you purchased one of those B&N coffee mugs??!?!?!