Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen

FEBRUARY FEATURE #2: Crossed: A Void City Novel by J. F. Lewis

Cover Image

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Scribe
SciFiCanuck
0 Kudos

Re: FEBRUARY FEATURE #2: Crossed: A Void City Novel by J. F. Lewis

I have to say...VERY cool cover.  :-)

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Yea for Jeremy!

Carol

So many books, so little time...
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Do women really tie their shirts like that? Just asking...   :smileyhappy:

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

I've never seen a shirt or t tied in the back. I mean how would you do it? Most women aren't contortionists. No, it's not done Paul. In the front yes, but the back is impossible.

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

dalnewt wrote:

I've never seen a shirt or t tied in the back. I mean how would you do it? Most women aren't contortionists. No, it's not done Paul. In the front yes, but the back is impossible.

Maybe I'm just out-of-it though. Girls today do things to surprise, so maybe it's done on occasion. But, IMO, most females who tie up their shirt want to show off their small waist not their spine.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

dalnewt wrote:

Maybe I'm just out-of-it though. Girls today do things to surprise, so maybe it's done on occasion. But, IMO, most females who tie up their shirt want to show off their small waist not their spine.

I think I'll wear this look the next time I go to the grocery store.

Paul

dalnewt
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

dalnewt wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

dalnewt wrote:

Paul

You're sure to get lots of attention with perhaps a complementary straight jacket.:smileyvery-happy: 

Hope you don't have a hairy back. OK, I wish I didn't think of that particular visual. 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

no hair on my back – just my beard... :smileyhappy:

dalnewt
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Thank god for small favors. Wiping guy w/hairy back and shirt ridiculously tied in a knot to show off his spine from my visual memory.  

dalnewt
0 Kudos

So sorry for envisioning you with a hairy back Paul. To make it up to you I found some famous bearded greek bronze sculptures. I'd copy them, but I don't know how. They are know as the Riace Warriors and can be found on Wikipedia. But, the best pictures are found at http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Arts/RiaceWarrior.htm. Maybe you could put them up for the edification of the board.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

Nope not in the back. Done that in the front though.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Thank god for small favors. Wiping guy w/hairy back and shirt ridiculously tied in a knot to show off his spine from my visual memory.  

Could you wipe it from mine?

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

paulgoatallen wrote:

dalnewt wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

dalnewt wrote:

Paul

ROTFLMAO!!  Oh god Paul, leave it to you to say something like that!

I used to tie mine in the front, but in the back?? That's....odd.  Someone would definitely need to do it for you, LOL!

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I started

Crossed, and I'm enjoying it in an occasionally painful way. Rachel is just a sh*t. I don't like her and would like to see her die in a very painful way. I understand her reasoning, but I don't care. She's spiteful, petty and mean-spirited. I rarely dislike a character as much as Rachel, but she does mix things up and add a certain au du slut to the story. 

Eric is also disappointing with his infidelity. Of course I knew what to expect--an ongoing affair with Rachel.  But I didn't know the visceral reaction I'd have to his infidelity under circumstance where he intentionally choose to have sex with the sister of his bride because he likes the way he feels when he's doing it. In the earlier book, Rachel seduced him with her magic, and he really didn't know what was going on. Now he knows and he doesn't care because he likes the feeling. In other words, he's addicted to sex with Rachel, and that's simply not acceptable given his betrothal and marriage to her sister. If he wanted sex with Rachel, he should have called off the engagement. I know he's an unrepentant monster but some things are just unforgivably sleazy and wrong. Note, I don't want to kill Eric for his duplicity and infidelity, I just want put him in irons for 100 years or so.

And Tabitha is a world class twit. If anyone ever deserved being cheated on it's her. I just want to shake her and, then, slap her. Yeah, I know, Rachel whammied her, but she certainly didn't put up much of a fight. She's pretty pitiful. And now she's being whammied again at Eric's command. I'd feel sorry for her but a part of me feels like she deserves it for being so weak willed and naive. 

Anyway, I'm only 76 pages into the book, and I'm looking forward to Eric's showdown with his empress maker. I'm also wondering what the deal is with Winter betting against Eric in France but saying that Eric will win in Void City.

To say the book has riveted me would be an understatement. It pi$$ed me off so much that I couldn't stop reading. I knew about the infidelity in this book, I just didn't realize how much it would anger me. Note, it's fast paced and chocked full of twisty surprises.  

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

So, I'm on page 146 and, thankfully, the infidelity portion of the book seems to have passed. As I said before, I was riveted by the first 70 pages or so because I was invested in seeing Rachel die a very painful death. Yep, I wanted her to DIE, DIE, DIE! I'm not going to tell anyone if she does, in fact, get killed. You're just going to have to read the book and find out. But, if any character ever deserved a terribly painful death, it's Rachel.

Right now Eric is on his honeymoon with Tabitha and Beatrice (the most experienced of Eric's thralls). It's interesting with Eric being denied entry into France by a Council of Immortals because he has too many children and, then, Tabitha asserting that he released her. The magic of the immortals is particularly interesting. They bring Eric and company to a castle located in a magical pocket created by the desiccated head of a demon. And Eric is unstable, going into uber vamp and revenant forms because the magical mojo placed on him has worn off.

Meanwhile, back in Void City, the story-line is basically following Greta and her melt-down in Eric's absence. I really enjoy the way this series skips from one charater's first-party perspective to another's. I find Greta very entertaining, and we finally get the full back-story of her first meeting with Eric. 

I'm not going to reveal anymore right now. I don't want to spoil this read for others. I'll post when I finish up.

P.S. Note, I'm still angry with Eric, but it doesn't really affect my ability to enjoy the story in terms of the continuing action. But, if he continues being a d*ckhead, it might spoil the series for me. 

dalnewt

[ Edited ]

I said I wasn't going to post again until I'm finished but I didn't realize that I'd get p*ssed again. This book has many good points, the story line in Void City being chief among them. That plot line primarily focuses on Greta, Talbot, Fang (an awesome Fang) and Lisette, Eric's maker who's traveled to Void City to presumably destroy him.

Unfortunately, the book again turns to the action in France, which is very entertaining up to the point where Eric is magically tampered with and again becomes a philanderer. For me, after engagement and marriage became part of narrative, the promiscuous sex stopped being fun/entertaining for me. I just believe that marriage means something, and that promiscuity with people outside the marriage is a fatal character flaw. Note, an affair might be reasonable under some limited circumstance, (like where one falls in love with someone else and is no longer in love with their spouse for cause), but sex for the sake of sex when a marriage is involve is foul, IMO.

Maybe others won't see it the way I do, but Eric also mentions, rather early on, that he more-or-less believes in the traditional notion of marriage. Too bad he doesn't act like it. It sure doesn't stop him with Rachel; and, later on it doesn't stop him from engaging in a menage a trois with the woman he believes he is married too, (one of his earlier made children), and Rachel again. Note, he's been magically messed with but that's no excuse for engaging in sex with Rachel even if his 'fake' wife wants it. In my mind, combining a threesome with marriage is just wrong.

(Can you tell I'm not a believer in the concept of open marriage, and neither is Tabitha and perhaps even Eric himself. Note, IMO, Tiger Woods is a d*uche bag as is Prince Charles and other numerous well-known cheaters. It doesn't mean they should loose their jobs or, for instance, be impeached, but it does mean that I'm not sympathetically disposed towards them.)

This book will probably get rave reviews, but I was bothered by the marriage combined with promiscuity. Although I really like the magic, action, plot twists, some main and supporting characters and various story-lines, the philandering is souring it for me.

Well, I'm going to finish the book now.   

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I finished the book and, as I've said before, parts of it were very entertaining. It still has all the elements that make this series so good including dark and twisted humor, outrageous violence, excellent combat action, unpredictable/convoluted plot turns and some really magnetic characters. But, the integrity of two protagonists, Eric and Tabitha, suffered because of the promiscuous philandering. Eric's cheating made him distasteful to me, and no amount of heroics at the end of the book could make-up for it. On the other hand Tabitha's cluelessness until virtually the end of the book made her a disposable, lightweight character.

I am so bummed that Eric's philandering sex ruined the story for me. I wish it didn't but it did. Promiscuous sex just isn't entertaining or fun to read about when it's philandering. Eric's opening prenuptial cheating was difficult for me to read and I started to dislike him. And, when his inconstancy took the form of a threesome with Rachel and a vampire he believed to be his wife, I was sickened. As I said before, I have a traditional view of marriage, and a threesome is a breach of the marriage vows even if both spouses agree. This book seemed bound and determine to defy the ideal of monogamous marriage, and I didn't like it. 

Generally the pace is fast, especially in those portions dealing with the action in Void City. The book reaches a sort of bifurcated climax. The showdown with the bad guy, (one of the bad guys), is really over before it starts with no real fight other than the action which precedes it. But the issues facing Eric aren't resolved when the bad guy goes down, and he undertakes a journey into the world of the dead that's interesting but not really action-packed. Then the book ends with a devil's bargain, and a revelation on Eric's part which isn't surprising but, nonetheless, added to my impression that he really is a d*ckhead about the whole marriage thing. 

During his time in dead land Eric's heart is weighed by Anubis and found lighter than a feather. I couldn't help but shake my head and think that the author is really trying to paint Eric as blameless and/or otherwise exculpate him. Well, that attempt failed with me. I always accepted and embraced the fact that Eric is a monster who kills/slaughters innocent people. He was still very likable/entertaining to me. But, when he became engaged and married but thought nothing of his vows, he became a faithless d*ckhead. I don't care about excuses, even if one excuse concerns his love for another, he's still a faithless idiot who is no longer a beloved monster to me. 

Inspired Wordsmith
MADIS
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

I think the key to your question here is the term "women" verses "girls".  Not to many women are wearing this.  But, it is kind of a updated version of the tie in the front that some have eluded to.  I think it is part of the eighties revival we have seen in clothing styles over the last couple of years.  I have seen girls wearing this.

Inspired Wordsmith
MADIS

MADIS wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

I think the key to your question here is the term "women" verses "girls".  Not to many women are wearing this.  But, it is kind of a updated version of the tie in the front that some have eluded to.  I think it is part of the eighties revival we have seen in clothing styles over the last couple of years.  I have seen girls wearing this.

I asked my friend who teaches 4th grade about this whole trend and she said little girls in dance and cheerleading do this.  The only women she has seen do this were on a beach or on that reality show with the Playboy Bunny's