Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

FEBRUARY FEATURE #3: The Inked anthology

[ Edited ]

I love anthologies like Inked – get four or five of the bestselling authors and put their short stories together in a themed anthology! There have been a handful of just downright terrific anthologies like this one in the last few years – Unbound, Holidays are Hell, First Blood, Wolfsbane and Mistletoe, etc.

This one comes at a perfect time – we've been talking about the proliferation of tattooed heroines on paranormal fantasy book covers and the appeal of tattoos in general.

Inked includes stories from Karen Chance, Marjorie Liu, Yasmine Galenorn, and Eileen Wilks and featuressome of my favorite paranormal fantasy characters, including Marjorie Liu's demon-hunter Maxine Kiss, Karen Chance's half human war mage Lia de Croissets, and Yasmine's OIA operative Camille D'Artigo!

Enjoy!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: FEBRUARY FEATURE #2: The Inked anthology

I really enjoyed this anthology.  All of the stories  I felt could be read without having read the series but it really helped to have read them because they finally answered some questions that had been hanging around it my head from the series  Especially Yasmine's story.  Etched In Silver.  I had been wondering about what was going to happen to her relationship with Trillion and it was answered in this story.  Now I just need to get hold of a copy of Bone Magic and Night Myst to see where the story goes from here.  I love anthologies because not only can you find sideline stories by favorite authors but get a taste of new authors and decide if you want to add them to your library.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

By the way I just check Yasmine's website and found out the Night Myst is not part of her Otherworld series but is the first book in her new Urban Fantasy  series that she is calling the Indigo Court series that will be coming out June 28, 2010.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21

I have started the first story by Karen Chance - Skin Deep.

*** Spoilers***

The first few pages get you started with  Lia trying to numb the very busy tattoo off of her.

The author sets up the world very quickly and it is filling in more details as the story progresses.

I haven't read her before so that is important to me.

The other scene is the one with Dieters and the ants, poor guy  in a panic.

pen21

pen21
0 Kudos

I was looking up the book Inked in the books at Barnes and Noble.

There is a "Join Discussion" link that takes you to the Paranormal Board here.

Cool. I never knew that was there.

Has this always been there?

Paul, do you add this for the book selections?

pen21

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

pen21

Pen:

It hasn't always been that way but I do think it's a great idea. I noticed it a few months ago and just loved it!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Bibliophile
Melhay

I am currently working on the fourth story.  I really like the idea of reading these four short stories to get a taste of the authors.  I am finding more authors to read in the future.  I really liked the story by Karen Chance.

I read through Skin Deep and loved it.  I am now on the look out for more of Lia and Cyrus.  I have really enjoyed the world Karen Chance created here with this pair.  I want to read more of this couple and the tattoo that "choose" here.  Why did it pick her?  What does it have to give to her to us?  I was curious as to what happened to Lia that her magic was a little on the wacky side. Along with the Mage War that is going on. 

I just want to know more thanks to the awesome writting style of the author.  I also love the connection between Lia and Cyrus and would really like to read more on it.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
pen21

Found this on the All Things Urban Fantasy site in the review of the story.

Check out the review.

2 previous short stories about the same characters.

Rogue Elements(included in the Wolfsbane and Mistletoe anthology) 

Vegas Odds(included in the Strange Brew anthology)

Skin Deep (Included in the Inked anthology)

Melhay wrote:

I am currently working on the fourth story.  I really like the idea of reading these four short stories to get a taste of the authors.  I am finding more authors to read in the future.  I really liked the story by Karen Chance.

I read through Skin Deep and loved it.  I am now on the look out for more of Lia and Cyrus.  I have really enjoyed the world Karen Chance created here with this pair.  I want to read more of this couple and the tattoo that "choose" here.  Why did it pick her?  What does it have to give to her to us?  I was curious as to what happened to Lia that her magic was a little on the wacky side. Along with the Mage War that is going on. 

I just want to know more thanks to the awesome writting style of the author.  I also love the connection between Lia and Cyrus and would really like to read more on it.

Contributor
BookAholicInVT

I have been a fan of all four of these authors for years. I was glad to read more about characters that I love. Karen Chance has built an amazing world full of rich characters. I love any of her books. The only story from Inked that I didn't read was Marjorie Liu's (but only because I didn't read the last story with Maxine Kiss and I like to read stories in order.) I enjoyed Yasmine Galenorn's story because you get to finally see how Camille and Trillian met. As for Eileen Wilks' story, anytime she writes about Rule and Lily, I have to read it.

I was going to read this book anyways because it had four of my favorite authors but I was glad to see it picked as one of the books for February.

You can never have to many books.
pen21

I read Marjorie Liu's story Armor of Roses. It was OK. I read another book of hers The Iron Hunt. It has the same characters. This short helped fill in some of the background to her heritage. But Iron Hunt was just OK to me also. Not sure why. The character Maxine and her female line with the tattoos is set up solidly. I am just not sure if I will read another one.

I finished Etched in Sliver by Yasmine Galenorn. I hadn't read her before. I liked the characters and the world she sets up. The sisters look like what the series is based on. Nelsmom listed a book from that series earlier.

It was a good solid short story for someone unfamiliar with that series.

pen21

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

Pen,

If you decided to read Yasmine's Otherworld series it is really best to read them in order because the story does grow on each book.  She does them in groups of three with each sister being the main character of that book.  Camille who was the main female in Etched in Silver is always the first book in the group, Delilah is the second, and Menolly is the third sister.  Here are the books that she has out now in the order you should read them in.

Witchling (Sisters of the Moon Series #1) 

Changeling (Sisters of the Moon Series #2)  

Darkling (Sisters of the Moon Series #3)  

Dragon Wytch (Sisters of the Moon Series #4)  

Night Huntress (Sisters of the Moon Series #5)  

Demon Mistress (Sisters of the Moon Series #6)  

Bone Magic (Sisters of the Moon Series #7)    I really like them and I hope that you do to if you try them.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
pen21
0 Kudos

Thanks Nelsmom.

It helps to have the order. And I really like getting recommendations.

I liked that short story. So I will be reading more.

pen21

pen21

Finished the book. Human Nature by Eileen Wilks was good. There was a lot of information packed in those pages. I haven't read her work before. So it was at times too much information. But the story was solid and left me with a good impression of her work. I would pick up another especially if it was about this set of characters. pen21

Bibliophile
Melhay

Sorry to have been a little MIA lately. Its been a little crazy here and with the snow storm we lost power for a few days.  And still awaiting more snow.

I read Marjorie Luis story and I really enjoyed it.

I liked learning more history on Maxine and her Grandmother.  I really like Grant and the boys but it was great to learn more about her as a character.  To me I also gained a respect for Maxine in the way that she (and her family) have to be hard to do what they need to do and keep going, yet there needs to be a touch of a soft heart there to do it as well.  I like how Maxine is different from her ancestory in that way of a little more heart.  This story seems to have shown that in how she was with the children and the one who lived in the end. 

I do have to say Marjories writing seems to pull me in as well.  I felt like I could feel the sticky air and smell the stench in the air as well.  I really thought I was there in Japan during the war.

Bibliophile
Melhay

For me Etched in Silver was a little harder for me to get into.  For some reason I didn't connect with Camille at first.  She seemed whiny or something.  I can't really place it.  But about half way through she started to grow on me.  What really caught my attention in this book was the world Yasmine creates.  I really enjoyed all the magic and creatures that are present.

I do like the idea of the sisters being half witches with what seems to be powers a little uncontrolable.  I like they are not perfect.

Bibliophile
Melhay

pen21 wrote:

Finished the book. Human Nature by Eileen Wilks was good. There was a lot of information packed in those pages. I haven't read her work before. So it was at times too much information. But the story was solid and left me with a good impression of her work. I would pick up another especially if it was about this set of characters. pen21

Pen, I could not agree with you more.  I really loved this story.  I am going to have to get the books by Eileen and these characters.  I loved the details she gave to support why things could or did happen.  The characters seemed really strong for me as well. 

This is one thing I was a little werry on with reading an anthology, would the worlds or characters be not as strong in a short story writing.  Now, on three of the stories they are all new to me and I could tell these authors did a wonderful job on pulling this off in an average 120 pages.  There was one I loved the world built, one I loved the characters and the world wasn't far behind, and one that just left me amazed at both together in such a short story.

Do you all feel the same way?

pen21

I like anthologies for that reason. It gives you a taste of the author and in this case their series.

Great way to find new books to read. But I think it is also a challenge to an author who writes books, the author needs be more succinct and grab your attention very quickly, and at the same time tell a good story. When in doubt about an author, I will try to find them in a book like this.

pen21

Melhay wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Pen, I could not agree with you more.  I really loved this story.  I am going to have to get the books by Eileen and these characters.  I loved the details she gave to support why things could or did happen.  The characters seemed really strong for me as well. 

This is one thing I was a little werry on with reading an anthology, would the worlds or characters be not as strong in a short story writing.  Now, on three of the stories they are all new to me and I could tell these authors did a wonderful job on pulling this off in an average 120 pages.  There was one I loved the world built, one I loved the characters and the world wasn't far behind, and one that just left me amazed at both together in such a short story.

Do you all feel the same way?

paulgoatallen

I loved Marjorie's short story, "Armor of Roses" but I love her Maxine Kiss series so that was a given. Marjorie – and I've said this before – is one of the most under-rated writers in paranormal fantasy. She's smooth. Everything she does is in perfect proportion – her character development, her pacing, her sense of humor, her action sequences, her sensuality...

This story is a perfect example of her style. I really enjoyed her understated sense of humor in particular:

"Madame Borega lowered her gaze, smiling – but, before she could thank him, or demure, or tell Grant that he was a hot, hot former priest and she wanted to pull a Thorn Birds on his ass, he added, "But frankly, Suzanne, I was shocked to learn that you were using an enhancer."

I also loved Yasmine's story but I only liked the Karen chance and Eileen Wilks stories.

So, while I didn't LOVE this anthology, I'm glad that I read it – especially the Maxine Kiss mystery involving her grandmother.

Paul

Distinguished Correspondent
ReaderGal74
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

pen21 wrote:

pen21

Pen:

It hasn't always been that way but I do think it's a great idea. I noticed it a few months ago and just loved it!

Paul

It's been there for a while...a couple years at least! That is how I got involved with this book club :smileywink:

Jess

Books...Never leave home without them
TiggerBear

Halfway though with this anthology today. Good solid addition to the author's series and not bad for author introductions.

Brings in mind a few questions.

Do you prefer it that when these short stories are additions to already established series; that they are back story, tid bits that reveal character development but aren't main plot essentials, or plot frayed end wrap ups?

Do you enjoy more the introduction to a new series by established author short stories? Or the same universe but not part of the main plot type stories? Or when it's a total new author introduction?

Any preferences?