Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

Re: GHOST STORY Spoiler Thread

Morwaul wrote:

I just finished this book.  I went into this book with a very negative attitude.  I think the whole "Oh yay, now Harrys a ghost" thing really turned me off.  But after reading it, I would have to say it was one of the best if not the best Dresden book to date.  I actually liked the self searching that Harry did in this book.  It was refreshing seeing him stand back and reflect on the things going on around him and the things he had done.  Usually he is running from one explosion to the next all book long without much chance for though. I thought Butcher showed much more maturity in the way this book was written.

YES.......That is one of the reasons I loved this book too. You got the chance to get to know Harry on a deeper level.

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Scribe
SciFiCanuck

So the book showed up the day we were leaving...LOL!  *sigh*  So it had to sit until we got home....but I'm not done reading Kelly Meding's latest yet, so it's going to wait a bit.  :-(

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
B&N Bookseller
melissas

SciFiCanuck wrote:

So the book showed up the day we were leaving...LOL!  *sigh*  So it had to sit until we got home....but I'm not done reading Kelly Meding's latest yet, so it's going to wait a bit.  :-(

Aaaaw!

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

Ooooooh man....I'm just over 100 pages in and this book has been gut-wrenching.  I've been near tears a few times...  This is so weird...I'm so used to these books being lighthearted, fun, etc.  I am not used to the story being so serious.  :/  Sure, there are some funny moments and Harry has been comical when he goes through buildings and such...but what the frack has happened to everything...and everyone??  Murphy with a buzz cut?  Molly going nuts??  :-(  I am really wondering what is going to happen because I'm so confused...   Anyhoo...leaving for the weekend so I can't continue until Tuesday... *sigh* 

Inspired Correspondent
Lineola

It is a bit gut-wrenching--but the payoff is so good, I love the way it wrings out your emotions. I felt like I was having a breakdown near the end, :smileyhappy:

Now, you've done it. I have to re-read it!

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

Well I finally finished this on the weekend!!  :-)

Wow...I guess this book was a lot about Harry's friends & aquaintances, and how he really took people for granted.  It seems he realizes now, seeing things from a different perspective, that he probably should have treated people differently. 

So I guess a lot of us were correct in thinking the most likely person who shot him was Kincaid...and it was.  I just never suspected HE was the one who orchestrated it.  That was a shocker.

I was hoping though from the end of the last book, even if it's probably a bad thing, that Mab would be the one to recover his body and bring him back...keep him alive...whatever...so that he wouldn't be dead, DEAD.

That scene where Murphy was crying though...that made me cry as well.  Very sad moment in the book.

One thing I wanted to point out, although it may be opening a can of worms, LOL....  When he was shown his daughter in the Carpenter home....he called her Maggie Dresden and I think think I would have thought more of him and Butcher if he would have called her Maggie Rodriguez-Dresden or Maggie Dresden-Rodriguez.  Because Susan did sacrifice her life for her daughter among other things...   That kind of made me sad.

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

melissas wrote:

* SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS *

Lineola wrote:

Murphy was kind of freaking me out in this book though. I'm worried about her.  I have decided that Harry is going to end up with Molly now.

Brilliant.  Totally brilliant.

Lineola

Yep. I'm gonna agree with you on that one. Something about Murphy was way off. Sure, there was good reason, I'll admit. But I think this changed her (and Harry) in a way that they will never be together now. And at this point, I see Molly as a completely viable option, regardless of how Harry denies that he could ever take that path. We'll see....

* SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS *

Okay, I'm going to have to disagree with you both on that...  :-)   Harry and Molly together is wrong on so many levels.  Namely age and the fact that he is Michael's daughter...  I do not think that is going to happen.  It just raises my ICK bar WAY high....

I think Murphy is understandably the way she is because of what she's been through without Harry.  Maybe now that he is back, he will help her through her issues and they will finally get together.  That is what I am hoping.  :-)

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
0 Kudos

I finally cracked the book and enjoyed it, well, parts of it. I liked all the different kinds of spirits and enjoyed the action scenes. But, the book was meandering. Harry agrees to go back to Chicago to discover who killed him. That's the mystery presented w/in the opening scene of the book. But he doesn't follow-up. Instead he gets involved in the problems being experienced by Murphy, Molly, a teenage boy and the necromancer Mort. 

Furthermore, there was way too much internal monologue in the book's mid-section and too many (seemingly irrelevant) flashbacks to Harry's youth. The snappy dialogue and fast action the Dresden series is known for was largely absent. Plus a lot of his internal dialogue is pointless self-flagellation.

The second half of the book has more action, but again the action is irrelevant to solving the mystery of his death. I loved Bob and Evil Bob, but excluding the various ghosts and the completely undefined Formor, (whoever and whatever they might be), no new supernaturals are introduced. The climax seemed to go on a very long time. There was the part with Evil Bob, then the part where Harry charges in with his ghosts and finally the conflict that happens in Molly's head. In its entirety, the climax simply went on too damn long. Plus, the part which occurs in Molly's head, is too weird and too static.

Overall, this book just wasn't as satisfying as the earlier Dresden books. The mystery was a no-go because it wasn't really followed-up. And the action was largely missing except for a climax that seems to go on too long and ends very weirdly. I guess the bottom line is that this book wasn't the usual mystery/adventure story that I've come to expect from this series. It didn't provide me with a wild enough ride, in terms of the action, and didn't give me a satisfying mystery investigation.

Plus, Harry has become a sort of anti-hero to me. He realizes he has crossed the line, but says he'd do the same thing if he had to do it all over again. He realizes he's hurt people (and murdered one person), but doesn't really repent. IMO, he's someone who can never really be a hero again.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
0 Kudos

Has anyone else noted that the Dresden books have changed? It used to be a noir mystery series, but the last two book have been written in a more thriller-like format with Dresden action at the end. I really enjoyed the noir mysteries with a non-conformist Harry who sorta felt his way into a solution to a mystery. The last two book, with a 'saves the day' climax, (and with consistent references to comic book heros in Ghost Story), don't have the same charm, IMO. 

B&N Bookseller
melissas
0 Kudos

Dalnewt,

Funnily enough, when I was driving around today, I was thinking of the Fomor. For some reason it just popped into my head that I really didn't know exactly who they were. So I completely agree with you about them being undefined. I do tend to agree with your opinion about the style of the books changing. While I don't necessarily mind the new style, I do prefer the earlier ones. However, with the last book ending with Harry in Mab's hands, I hope that he can revert back the former glory of the noir.

New User
AndyQ_WI
0 Kudos

one know why the nook version is costing $20 just days before the $10 paperback is released?