Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

B&N Bookseller
melissas

GHOST STORY Spoiler Thread

Ghost Story (Dresden Files Series #13)  

I just thought I'd go ahead and start a thread for this because I don't want to ruin anybody's reading experience on the generic Dresden Files thread. Also, I thought the Changes thread was a great conversation amongst fans, so I figured it would work out well for Ghost Story as well. Since the book doesn't come out til tomorrow I can't say anything except this (because we've all seen an image of the book): I loved the headstone on the cover. I never actually thought Bianca's words would come to this. But I can't wait to see if Harry actually "dies"—after all, whether he was doing "the right thing" is debatable.

Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

Re: GHOST STORY Spoiler Thread

[ Edited ]

melissas wrote:

Ghost Story (Dresden Files Series #13)  

I just thought I'd go ahead and start a thread for this because I don't want to ruin anybody's reading experience on the generic Dresden Files thread. Also, I thought the Changes thread was a great conversation amongst fans, so I figured it would work out well for Ghost Story as well. Since the book doesn't come out til tomorrow I can't say anything except this (because we've all seen an image of the book): I loved the headstone on the cover. I never actually thought Bianca's words would come to this. But I can't wait to see if Harry actually "dies"—after all, whether he was doing "the right thing" is debatable.

Ok, I was just checking and the date for release said Aug 4th.

Please, someone tell me its a typo!!

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Contributor
1Luv2READ2
0 Kudos

I was able to download on my Nook this morining (26th).  Off to read!

Inspired Correspondent
Lineola

It is here, it is here!  HOw am I supposed to work today--Harry was shot for goodness sake! :smileyhappy:

Lineola

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos
Inspired Correspondent
Lineola
0 Kudos

The book is starting out just as good as I hoped, some nice little surprises for fans.

I had a horrible horrible thought though--what if Jim Butcher is really finishing off the series in this book?  He wouldn't do that to us would he?

Lineola

B&N Bookseller
melissas

Grrrr! Only 100 pages left and now I have to go off to work! How am I supposed to focus? Do you think anyone would get suspicious if I called in sick? :smileywink:

Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

I am on chapter 12, and loving it.

Going to make some iced tea and see how far I can get before my body tells me that sleep is not a choice any more.

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos
B&N Bookseller
melissas

The best.

Dresden book.

Ever!

Ghost Story really melded so many of the characters from previous books into one great story. Honestly, I had kind of forgotten about Mortimer Lindquist, and was surprised that he was the one person Harry went to. After all, if I remember correctly, wasn't there some sort of debacle on TV between the two of them many, many books ago? I do seem to also remember there being some sort of redemption of Morty's character in later books, but not a friendship between the two. Although I suppose Harry really didn't have much of a choice in terms of where Carmichael dropped him off. In fact, when Harry was offered the chance to go to one address, I kept trying to imagine where he would choose. I kept thinking he would go to St. Mary's or to the Carpenter's...somewhere with a spiritual connection in a more religious sense. So, going to Morty's house was the first of many surprises.

I know many of you are still reading, so I won't jump in too deep with the spoilers. I hope you are all enjoying it as much as I did!

Inspired Correspondent
Lineola

As Harry Dresden says, "My gast was pretty well flabbered."

Seriously, that was the best Dresden book ever.  I will wait for others to finish before putting real spoilers in this thread--but I was totally totally freaking out at the end of the book! Let's just say, it keeps you completely on edge through the very end. I'm reeling.

And...seriously, Jim Butcher rocks.  His writing has gotten even better, and I always thought he was good. I was rolling with some of the comments in this book.  Hey brings everything to the table.

I have to post at least one more quote that had me rolling:

"Hey, word is that even the Almighty and Lucifer worked on a deal with Job. Spider-Man has teamed up with the Sandman before. Luke and Vader did the Emperor. It happens."

"Spider-Man is pretend and doesn't count," [Harry] said.

Lineola

B&N Bookseller
melissas

There are definitely some of the best Harry Dresden quotes in this book. I was also laughing out loud with many of them. I do love the Spider-man quote, especially given the context and the comparisons. Most of the pop culture reference elicited some laughs. One of my personal favorites from the book is this (from page 250):

It would require a singularly stupid man to go hang around in narrow tunnels and cramped spaces alongside a threat like that.

"And I, Harry Dresden, am that man," I stated.

:smileyvery-happy: There are so many moments like this where Harry talks to himself, about himself, and they are just hilarious.

I also was totally freaking out by the end of the book, expecting my world to come crumbling down (I will not yet say whether or not it did). Regardless, the ending did keep me on edge, and well, I am shocked at those very last few pages. Although something tells me that perhaps that is naïve of me. I am just thankful there are enough Jim Butcher fans out there that I can talk to people about this!

Scribe
SciFiCanuck

GS is on it's way to me!!  :-D  This series has a special place in my heart becuase it's the very first series I read, based on a recommendation from a fellow fan of the show, and I was hooked on reading.  :-)  That was 2007...

My name is Teresa, and I'm a bookaholic
Current book(s): Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss #5) by Marjorie M. Liu
Just finished: The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #12)
Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

OMG!!!! What an outstanding book.

What a surprise on who was responsible for Harry being shot!! Did not see that coming at all. You guys are going to love it. I will come back on post more after ya'll are done reading it.

Have fun!

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
B&N Bookseller
melissas

That was a real doozy. I mean, in some respects, it was obvious. Many of us at work were discussing this for a long time after Changes, and this person came up several times. But in other respects...wow. Definitely didn't see that coming, not in a million years. I still get goosebumps thinking about it. Jim Butcher really knew how to work that one!

Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

melissas wrote:

That was a real doozy. I mean, in some respects, it was obvious. Many of us at work were discussing this for a long time after Changes, and this person came up several times. But in other respects...wow. Definitely didn't see that coming, not in a million years. I still get goosebumps thinking about it. Jim Butcher really knew how to work that one!

------------------spoilers-----------------like big time spoilers-----------------

You know, me and my husband had pretty much figured out that Kincaid had shot Harry..............what really blew me away was that Harry hired him to do it!!!! I know he didn't really want to be the Winter Knight, but to have himself shot!  JB really knows how to wow us.

And I love where his daughter when to live. I was hopping that she would stay close by so we can see her in another book.

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
Distinguished Wordsmith
jgmme

How great would it be if Paul could get Jim Butcher to come and do a question/answer.

Jo

shhhhh....I'm reading.
B&N Bookseller
melissas

Whoa. Paul has already attained celebrity status in my mind. If he got Jim Butcher to come to the boards, he would be more like a god!

* SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS *

Yeah, we were all thinking Kincaid, too. That was the obvious choice, right? What with the comment about sniping Harry from some ungodly distance. Jim Butcher was genius to use the obvious choice but warp it in a way that nobody was expecting. Absolutely brilliant, and completely effective.

* SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS *

Inspired Correspondent
Lineola

Part of the way through the book, I totally convinced myself that the entire book was in Harry's head and that Jim Butcher had somehow pulled off a huge no-no in writing (an entire book dream sequence). Lol, it was hilarious that it both was that, yet totally wasn't.

and can I just say...

SPOILER    SPOILER   SPOILER

I was so in tears when he was going around seeing all his friends and they were so ok, yet so hurt without him.  I had convinced myself half-way through he was really dead and the series was ending.  Even though JB had told us halfway through the book that he was alive. 

and I loved Evil Bob. that whole battle sequence rocked.

Murphy was kind of freaking me out in this book though. I'm worried about her.  I have decided that Harry is going to end up with Molly now.

Brilliant.  Totally brilliant.

Lineola

B&N Bookseller
melissas
0 Kudos

* SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS *

Lineola wrote:

Murphy was kind of freaking me out in this book though. I'm worried about her.  I have decided that Harry is going to end up with Molly now.

Brilliant.  Totally brilliant.

Lineola

Yep. I'm gonna agree with you on that one. Something about Murphy was way off. Sure, there was good reason, I'll admit. But I think this changed her (and Harry) in a way that they will never be together now. And at this point, I see Molly as a completely viable option, regardless of how Harry denies that he could ever take that path. We'll see....

* SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS * SPOILERS *